• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

bad news.

Soldato
this may be old, however everyone must know this.

All current graphics cards are useless for windows Vista. Not Microsofts fault at all!! - THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT HOW BAD VISTA IS, ITS ABOUT HARDWARE COMPANYS.

HDCP Fiasco

thoughts?

Last edited:
Soldato
janesssssy said:
If you read the entire "review" you would relise that its not MS fault its the Graphics card manufatures. (not ATI and Nvidia)
Perhaps M$ should have worked closer with the manufacturers - let them be more aware of the demands of Vista?

Soldato
Its not microsofts fault. Have you read the article?

To support HD-DVD in the future your "decoder" has to have a unique number hardware wired into it.... a bit like a MAC number. The films will require it and APPARENTLY ( and the point of the article ) the current gfx cards cannot and will not be able to be reflashed or such to allow this. So as it stands ANY current card will not be able to play HD-DVD or blu-ray films when the drives appear next year. Technically vista has nothing to do with it.... its a bit like imagining that a normal dvd will ONLY play on a machine with a region code ( this is hypothetical i know its not true ) and the only players you can buy dont have them. SO therefore you cannot watch the film as it wont decode on your player.
In effect the board manufacturers have known about this for ages and decided not implement the extra small chip on each card thats needed ( like the way networks cards etc have a MAC code ). I suspect this is so they can "add" it later to the new cards and sell them all over again.

Last edited:
Soldato
LoadsaMoney said:
Thats obvious to, is it only me thats known that for about 100 years then. :p

maybe... i knew about the DX10 thing but i hadnt heard about this particular thing. TBH i think they all work together to make sure everybody has to buy new stuff every 2 years.

ITS ALL A CONSIPACY I TELL YE!

Caporegime
Yeah a DX9 card will run Vista, but not fully, we know that. :)

I still dont get how its not obvious, as its like saying ive got an old 14' protable Tv here thats not compatible with HD, or digital Tv, blimey you don't say. :p

Ive got this old black and white Tv here, someones just said its not comapitible with Colour, so i can only watch stuff in black and white, DAMN!!!. :mad: :D

Last edited:
Soldato
janesssssy said:
this may be old, however everyone must know this.

All current graphics cards are useless for windows Vista. Not Microsofts fault at all!!

HDCP Fiasco

thoughts?

Thats a bit of an overstatement isnt it? They are useless if you want to watch original HD copy protected material. Personally I cant remember the last time i watched an original DVD on my computer, probably about 8 years ago when i moved out and couldnt afford a tv. Most people use there PCs to watch ripped stuff, so nothing much will change.

Soldato
Its just another example of how to force the whole user base to yet again spend more money on things they will require if they wish to utilize the latest technology, but as the reviewer explains, the various parties involved were already aware of the upcoming tech and should have already put in the support.

Its about them making money and us spending ours, as usual, or perhaps thats just how i'm reading it.

Associate
If Vista wasnt compatable with current users systems then that would have to be the bigest matketing flop the world has even seen...one of the world richest companies only being able to people who are buying new systems....I dont think so. The people mostly on this forum are 'enthusiasts' and do regularyly upgrade their systems a lot...but that type of person only accounts for 3-5% of the market...and most PC users dont upgrade for three to four years. If Microsoft could only sell to 5% of the worlds pc users in the short term..they would be loosing $$$$$$$$$$$'s

Caporegime
Seems to me that the "to watch HD-DVD in the future your "decoder" has to have a unique number hardware wired into it" sounds like another stupid bit of DRM designed to annoy people.

Like current HDTVs that don't supprt HDMI not being able to watch HD movies when they switch on the HDMI DRM down the track.

Last edited:
Caporegime
deSade said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what's that all about Minstadave?

I don't know much about it, I think its to do with some current HDTVs lacking HDMI inpits that mean when the HD-DVD/Blue-ray crowd switch on ICT you'll be stuck with DVD quality.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060521-6880.html

"One of the most controversial aspects of these next-generation products is something called the Image Constraint Token (ICT), a security "feature" that allows studios to force-downgrade video quality on players that lack a special video output that was designed to thwart piracy. This "HDMI" connector standard is part of a "protected pathway" for video that was meant to combat piracy by making it impossible for pirates to tap into high-definition video output and press "Record," as it were. Many fear, however, that the only success HDMI will have is in making honest users miserable, inasmuch as consumers could be left with a product that plays at low quality or not at all if HDMI is not present on one's player or TV."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom