Upcoming X38 Motherboards

Associate
I am planning to build a new PC in the next couple of months and I am interested in this X38 chipset. So I decided to compile a list of all the boards that are going to use the chipset coming out in the next couple of months.

Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6

x38dq6bforumjpgnr7.jpg

Preview

Lots of pictures + more information

Abit IX38-MAX + IX38 QuadGT

newsabitx38tpe01xn0.jpg

newsabitx38tpe08po9.jpg

More info....

ASUS Maximus Formula

rogmaximusformulayy9.jpg

More Pictures

If anyone has any other information about the x38 boards I would be grateful if you could post it. Thanks in advance :)

Soldato
Loving the PCI slot at the top design - means I could stick my Audigy above the graphics card instead of at the bottom where it is now on my P5W64-WS, restricting airflow to my 2nd card. :(

Erk - just noticed the BIOS battery placement... under the primary graphics card. Nice one ASUS :mad:

Last edited:
Soldato
Soon every motherboard will just be a deathbed of sharp heatsinks just waiting for our foolhardy fingers to venture into.

And why oh why did Abit use a whiny little 60mm fan on it's NB?? That'd be the first thing to come off that if I got it.

I must admit the layout of the Asus looks good but I bet it will be pricey.

EDIT: Just saw the Abit is the only board there to have 3xPCI-E 16x slots. Methinks they thinks physics graphics cards will be useful. Although the usefulness of 3 slots when Crossfire isn't really needed these days is questionable.

Last edited:
Permabanned
At least Foxconn, Abit and Intel have the sense to put the BIOS Battery out of the way of the dam video card. :p

Such a pain when you want to reset the BIOS and you have to take the GPU out to take the BIOS battery out. ;)

Soldato
the abit's also have a clear CMOS switch on the back.

Is that a place for a socketed BIOS chip (but not fitted) above the sb/below the RAM slots on the Asus? Definitely not a fan of soldered BIOS chips myself if it isn't.

as for the abit's 3rd x16 (physical) slot depending upon available lanes it could also be useful for a RAID card.

Soldato
Gotta say Intels reference board looks the best out of the lot. Get some HR-09's on the Mosfet's, and Thermalright coolers on NB/SB and it'd look stunning.

Gotta love the continued rollercoaster style heatsinks on MSI boards however :) Wonder what the 2nd heatsink is cooling at the bottom of the board, one is obvioulsy the southbridge but wonder what the other one is.

Also on the Asus Maximus I'm hearing that the chipset is actually an X48... dunno if it's true.

Erk - just noticed the BIOS battery placement... under the primary graphics card. Nice one ASUS
It has a "clear cmos" button on the back of the board, near the keyboard/mouse ps2 inputs. Still, it's no excuse for putting the battery in the worst possible place on the board.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is that a place for a socketed BIOS chip (but not fitted) above the sb/below the RAM slots on the Asus? Definitely not a fan of soldered BIOS chips myself if it isn't.

Hhhm, like the Blitz....ASUS seem to have this great idea around soldering them on......why ?? :confused:

Gotta love the continued rollercoaster style heatsinks on MSI boards however :)

What he said ^^ ;) something to smile at, anyway :p

Soldato
x38-t3r.jpg

That's a DFI LanParty X38-T3R... there is also a T2R which is exactly the same board, but supports DDR2, as the T3R is DDR3. The pic is old though, looks like a lot of the ports on the back of the motherboard are yet to be in place and there is no heatpipe system. The heatpipe system however apparantly will cover the SB/NB and MOSFETs.

Soldato
EDIT: Just saw the Abit is the only board there to have 3xPCI-E 16x slots. Methinks they thinks physics graphics cards will be useful. Although the usefulness of 3 slots when Crossfire isn't really needed these days is questionable.
One of the reasons I bought the P5W64-WS was because I thought physics cards (not the Ageia crap) were on the horizon, turns out that hasn't materialised yet. I wouldn't even consider it relevant to motherboards to be honest - they're obsoleted so fast now.

Back
Top Bottom