***Official DC Universe Online Thread***

Soldato
***Official DC Universe Online Thread FREE TO PLAY FROM OCT 2011!!!***

Ok who, besides me of course, is excited about this game? Being a big DC Comics (and especially Superman) fan, when i heard they were doing this game I was really excited.

Of course, we still dont have a release date as yet but the latest news that I have read got me really pleased:

Wes Yanagi, senior producer on the up-coming "DC Universe Online" video game, told Gamescom in Germany that subscription to the online game will be completely free!
"In a surprising move, Wes confirmed that not only will there be no subscription fee for DC Universe Online, but that the game will feature completely platform-open servers; this means the servers will be cross-compatible between the PS3 and PC versions, no matter where you play."
No release date for the game has been announced as yet.

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php (scroll down to the particular qoute and also to the source)

So, with that in mind, I am hoping this will make the game more appealing. I know there are a lot of people who will want to play this game. Seeing as my beloved Matrix Online has been shut down for good this is my next MMO to play. So, hurry up SOE (boo!) and tell us when the game is being released!!!

It's available on both PC and PS3. :D

Last edited:
Associate
No subscription would make it more appealing to me as I am not able to play games all the time, and would probably play this intermittently.

I would be very interested. Just have to hope that they don't have funding problems that results in every interesting weapon/power/suit/bonus/perk a £1.99 DLC.

Or there being no organised events.

Soldato
I think MMOs should be subscription based, I have never enjoyed a free to play MMO as all the scum tend to end up there,

Also if it is simple enough to have the same interface on pc and PS3 it is probably stupidly simple.

Was looking forward to this but your news has disappointed me

Permabanned
Haven't pre-ordered it yet but will definitely give it a try. Either it'll hold me for a month before uninstall or for 5 and counting years like CoH has. Either way the 20 or 30 quid will be worth it. I love the genre for games and it's a shame there aren't more around.

Fingers crossed this one will be decent.

Edit - I had a rummage through that site in the OP but saw nothing about it being subscription free btw, then again the site is laid out horribly.

Last edited:
Soldato
From what I've seen it honestly looks like a really bad version of all the other superhero mmo's out there. So much so I can't see why anyone would want to play this over them, the fact it's on the PS3 really shows what they've done to dumb down the game for console usage.

Steering well clear unless there's a trial so I can really see what it's like.

Soldato
OP
From what I've seen it honestly looks like a really bad version of all the other superhero mmo's out there. So much so I can't see why anyone would want to play this over them, the fact it's on the PS3 really shows what they've done to dumb down the game for console usage.

Steering well clear unless there's a trial so I can really see what it's like.

Erm, it's DC, it's an official licensed superhero game. So really, it's the other superhero MMO's that'll be a bad version of this one. Me being a big DC and Superman fan, will be playing this game nearly 24/7.

They started taking beta registrations back in July and I even submitted an entry. But I've not heard anything, so I'm guessing either too many people applied and I was too late, or they've decided to scrap it altogether. lol.

Soldato
Erm, it's DC, it's an official licensed superhero game. So really, it's the other superhero MMO's that'll be a bad version of this one. Me being a big DC and Superman fan, will be playing this game nearly 24/7.

I really hope that wasn't a fanboy "It's officially licensed so it must be better." Because [laughs] that really makes a lot of sense! :p Although I'm not sure what consitutes as good/bad in your head just because it's licensed. Doesn't mean it'll be good.

As much as I love DC characters,( I really do) the gameplay looks bad to me and I understand it might not to you. But I was commenting on gameplay, not story. You'll still need to create your own non DC licensed character however.

Soldato
OP
I really hope that wasn't a fanboy "It's officially licensed so it must be better." Because [laughs] that really makes a lot of sense! :p Although I'm not sure what consitutes as good/bad in your head just because it's licensed. Doesn't mean it'll be good.

As much as I love DC characters,( I really do) the gameplay looks bad to me and I understand it might not to you. But I was commenting on gameplay, not story. You'll still need to create your own non DC licensed character however.

Ok, I jumped the gun there. But until you've actually played the game, you can't really comment on it. Then again, yes I am a DC fan boy. Always will be. So if the gameplay is deemed bad by others, for me, I'll not care. I'll just be happy that I finally have a suitable replacement MMO to The Matrix Online.

Associate
Yes the view that no sub games are full of scum is pretty outdated since so many good games are now using that model.

You can even find decent people in truely free browser games.

Associate
Im wanting to try this but unsure due to champions online being a load of rubbish.

If its one time fee and free to play ill pick it up no harm done that way as ive bought a load of rubbish games over the years ive regretted.

Associate
i put my name down for the beta ages ago too, though not followed it really since. SOE ruined Planetside so I have no hopes for it just because they're behind it. will wait and see I reckon.

Soldato
It's made by SOE...

1 reason not to buy/play it. They will probably fund for 3-6 months then let it slowly die...

Also, will be no different to Champions Online and CoH/CoV...

RDM

RDM

Soldato
My main concern is just how quiet this game has been. Launching in a month and no real detail of what it plays like, what character creation options are or anything along those lines. I would not be suprised to see it slip or it be absolutely appalling. Which is a shame, as I want a green lantern ring powerset. :)

Back
Top Bottom