At what age did you know what you wanted to do for a living?

Soldato
At 25 I'm exactly where I wanted to be personally. I've been married 9 months, live in a mortgaged 3 bed semi in the green belt just inside the M25 and am earning enough even before overtime to live happily.

But professionally I still have no idea what I want to do with my life. I never have. The wife wanted to be a nurse from like 15 and so now is a nurse doing very well. My brother wanted to be a software developer at 14 and is now (at 21) the WebDev Manager at a very successful travel agents.

I'm not looking for advice on what to do as obviously you don’t know what I do now or what I’m capable of, but when did you realise what you wanted to do or what field you wanted to work in?

Soldato
I wanted to be in the forces when i was about 6, and after years of slacking i finally joined.
The rest of my life on the otherhand is still in tatters unlike yours, though im happier than I have been for years :)

Soldato
I realised when I was 15 what I wanted to do and what I was talented at.

I am however now 17, and pursuing it, along with a few other options that are tieing in well. But as I first suspected, all the signs that I would enjoy it and that I was talented, have so far, fingers crossed, been proved correct.

I do believe however that if I hadn't of done work experience where I did, I would still not even now know what I wanted to do.

Very much believe you don't know what you want to do until you have a taste of it and enjoy it.

What are your hobbies/enjoy doing?

Associate
Only at 24 did I know what I wanted to be - a dentist. I'm about to go back to uni for another 4 years this September. I'm really going to miss being paid a salary:(

Soldato
I'm 29 and still have no idea what I really want to do. I've been working in the same job for about 11 years or so and still not sure if it's what I really want to do. The only plus point is that eventually the company will be mine.

Soldato
I've wanted to be a million different things from a helicopter pilot to a royal mairine. Though, my career choices always seem to come back to something creative, artist, architect, graphic designer, I've been through different phases for as long as I can remember.

Now at Uni, hate it, have no motivation for it(prefer to work), have 2 years industry experience with the web design crowd(don't want to be doing that forever) and I'm just slightly lost for the first time in my life.

Soldato
but when did you realise what you wanted to do or what field you wanted to work in?

I'm nearly 32 and still haven't found a calling. I have a career - IT support/consultant - but it's simply to pay the bills and there's no passion involved. My brother knew he would be an artist from day one and loves his work.

Soldato
I'm currently just following what I'm well known to be good at.
Didn't plan it, just happened really.
I can't say I've ever really, really wanted to be anything specific.
Vague recollections of wanting to be a fireman but meh.
37 this year :(

Soldato
I'm 22, been interested in music since I was about 6/7.

Finished a music degree, been teaching guitar for over 5 years, starting a PGCE in September.

I'm going into teaching music (whether in secondary schools or continuing teaching guitar), because I do enjoy it, and it's all I've ever known. However I feel that I've not had the opportunity or been exposed to other careers which I may well be better suited to, and at the moment have no idea how I would go about finding out such things. I think it's important that future generations get real working experience of a large range of careers so they have a better idea of what they want to do with their life from an earlier age.

Soldato
Known since i was about 12 when i took my first computer apart, i love my job but hate the people i work with, currently 22 with fiancee and a mortgage which is more than i thought id have at this age, im in my favoured line of work, i just wish some people would leave and make life easier by getting people in who know what they are doing

Associate
I'm 46 and I still don't know what I want to do! I would have loved to be a Midwife but feel that I'm too old now to do the training. I don't think I would be employed afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom