Please post your windows home server hard drive temps

Caporegime
whshddtemps.jpg

Associate
Slight tangent on this thread, but I've got a question for wonder_lander. You say your server is in the garage. Is the garage sealed from humidity/etc? Or just a normal garage? I'd love to put my servers in the garage but I'm worried about the safety of the equipment in terms of humidity and temperature in terms of getting too cold say in winter?

Soldato
I've ran 2 PC's 24/7 for the last 3 years in there with no issue. It's just a normal garage attached to the side of the house.

I I where to shut them down in the extreme cold then I think condensation may be an issue. As they are continually running I think it keeps the unit temperature fine.

Over this last winter I've had a temp sensor in the garage and despite the drops in the outside temp the ambient temp in the garage has always remained above 0.

I hear of people also running their machines in the loft of their house and I would guess that gets hotter / colder than my garage!

Associate
I guess I could make the servers do some folding while they're in there aswell, would keep them nice and toasty ;) Thanks mate, that's good to know.

Caporegime
Bloody hell that's a lot of drives. Do you buy them new or through the MM or similar?

Notice you've got a WD 'EARS' drive in there too. What method did you use to work around the sector size increase? I went for the jumper option in the end.

Theres an issue with EARS drives and WHS? Ive got one on my desk im currently filling with stuff to move to my WHS before it becomes part of the pool. whats the issue?

Soldato
Theres an issue with EARS drives and WHS? Ive got one on my desk im currently filling with stuff to move to my WHS before it becomes part of the pool. whats the issue?

Basically the most modern HDDs are switching from a 512byte sector size to a 4KB sector size. This would be fine except that XP doesn't support this standard and WHS is based on Server 2003 and by extension XP.

This can mean, under XP, extremely slow writes and possible data corruption.

There are two ways around this, firstly formatting the drive using certain tools (I didn't go for this option as I wasn't confident of the impact on WHS) or setting a jumper on the HDD before install.

More info here: http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php?/topic/11681-wd-green-2tb-drives-should-we-use-wd-align/

Soldato
Bloody hell that's a lot of drives. Do you buy them new or through the MM or similar?

Notice you've got a WD 'EARS' drive in there too. What method did you use to work around the sector size increase? I went for the jumper option in the end.

Well, pron does take up a lot of space.... ;)
The drives are either 'new' (2 of the 1TB were pulled from a WD NAS, but they've been replaced with the 2TB drives now) or from OcUK B-grade stock.

I didn't know about the 'EARS' problem. That would expalin the erratic performance I've been getting from my server, which I just thought was the data being balanced.
I've read most of that WGS thread and I'll have to take my server 'offline' for a while as I sort it out. :(

Caporegime
OP
Well, pron does take up a lot of space.... ;)
The drives are either 'new' (2 of the 1TB were pulled from a WD NAS, but they've been replaced with the 2TB drives now) or from OcUK B-grade stock.

I didn't know about the 'EARS' problem. That would expalin the erratic performance I've been getting from my server, which I just thought was the data being balanced.
I've read most of that WGS thread and I'll have to take my server 'offline' for a while as I sort it out. :(

You have enough space to remove the EARS... allign then re-add to the pool

Also whats the deal with the B grade drives?

Last edited:
Soldato
You have enough space to remove the EARS... allign then re-add to the pool

That's what my server is doing now - removing the drives - while I'm at work.

Also whats the deal with the B grade drives?

Most of the B-Grade drives that OcUK have are only a few quid less than a new one, but occasionally they have a bargain. :D
None of my B-grade drives have ever failed. I actually have a B-grade external USB Maxtor as a secondary backup.

Back
Top Bottom