Please post your windows home server hard drive temps

Caporegime
whshddtemps.jpg

Caporegime
OP
Well, pron does take up a lot of space.... ;)
The drives are either 'new' (2 of the 1TB were pulled from a WD NAS, but they've been replaced with the 2TB drives now) or from OcUK B-grade stock.

I didn't know about the 'EARS' problem. That would expalin the erratic performance I've been getting from my server, which I just thought was the data being balanced.
I've read most of that WGS thread and I'll have to take my server 'offline' for a while as I sort it out. :(

You have enough space to remove the EARS... allign then re-add to the pool

Also whats the deal with the B grade drives?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I have moved my server into the stable block. should have done this months ago tbh.

Now with the warm weather they are around 25-28c at night time.

When it gets colder what are the implications of this?

Can drives drop in temps to much?

Cheers

Caporegime
OP
Hi easyrider,

I see you've been adding to your 2TB disk collection :cool: I'm going to need some more for my main desktop very soon (where I keep a local backup of most of the WHS stuff).

Anyway, to set up a spanned volume:

RDP into your WHS box, go to disk management
Initialise the empty/unmanaged disks as dynamic
Create a new volume by right-clicking in unallocated space and select a spanned volume across the disks you want.
Enjoy!

You can extend a spanned volume, but can't remove an individual disk from the set without losing the data on the volume. Spanned volumes also aren't fault tolerant, so if one disk of the set dies then the whole volume is lost.

If you move a spanned set of disks around between PCs they will show up as 'foreign' in disk management, and you have to 'import foreign disks' to access the data. (That got me a bit nervous the first time I saw it!)

Microsoft's version of some of the above is at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc784653(WS.10).aspx

TBH I'd prefer not to use spanned disks like this, but have never found a backup program that quite does what I want. This approach at least lets me do a file hashing backup/verify fairly quickly and without an additional PC left on for no other reason.

Usual caveats about doing things in WHS outside of the console also apply :)

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom