• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI/AMD's new Morphological Anti-aliasing

Soldato
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
MORPHOLOGICAL AA INFORMATION :

mlaa.jpg

Surface Format Optimizations

Recently a storm-in-a-teacup developed over something called target format substitution. In six titles, AMD developed a profile that intercepted calls to FP16 formats and substituted them for FP11. In practice this made a noticeable performance difference at the time on the titles used, which are all DirectX 9. This substitution is a widely used technique by developers to increase performance without substantially, if at all, reducing image quality. The optimization could be turned off, but only by disabling Catalyst AI - which disables all performance and quality profiles, and alternate frame rendering. The kickback, generated from Nvidia review guides highlighting the substitution and advising that Cat AI be disabled, caused a consensus amongst the community; 'We want enhanced profiles, but we want the option to disable - consumer choice.'

New Catalyst AI, Texture Quality and Surface Format Optimization Controls

AMD listened to this, and now offers a checkbox to disable surface format optimizations. Use this option if you are experiencing quality issues in a game and suspect that this is the problem; not many times will you find it solves the issue. Additionally, AMD combined the Catalyst AI and mipmaps detail level sliders, to make the new texture filtering quality slider. This offers performance, quality and high quality modes, with quality and surface format optimizations enabled by default. This will apply to HD 5000 series as well as HD 6000 series, to be introduced in the AMD Radeon HD 6000 launch driver due now, Catalyst 10.10.

Fundamentally it shows AMD are engaged with the enthusiast community and value their feedback.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR 5800 SERIES CARDS ONLY

Download this file - http://www.mediafire.com/?m45q04k70m4d28i
Download the hotfix - http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU84AMDCatalyst1010aHotfix.aspx

Extract the hotfix
Extract the MLAA INF.rar file

Then just follow this:
Copy CW106976.inf to \Catalyst_8.782.1RC5_Win7_MLAA_Oct21\Pac kages\Drivers\Display\W7_INF\

Copy C7106976.inf to \Catalyst_8.782.1RC5_Win7_MLAA_Oct21\Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF\

Now start the setup and the function should be unlocked in CCC.

OR

Just download this file modifications already applied and do a complete reinstall

http://www.mediafire.com/?5h6cpooivo4sbox

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
IMAGES *

Dead space:::::

CC control pannel : Application preference = 0xaa MLAA box Ticked :)

--------------------------------------------
DSMLAA.jpg

DSNOAA.jpg

This new feature is fantastico, can you guess what is useing MLAA and what is not useing MLAA

with MLAA enabled its like your playing the game with 0xaa performance with what looks like 4xaa in use ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More images ;)

valrumlaasp2d.png

Final Fantasy with a 2x Zoom on the image ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

valrumlaa-sc2uths.png

Starcraft II, awsomeness again with MLAA enabled its like your running the game with 0xaa with performance to boot, last mission constant 60fps *example 5970*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

valrumlaa-hl2-1xsia.png

valrumlaa-hl2-2mruj.png

Half Life II

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

126301.png

Ano 1404.. MLAA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

daoriginsmlaa.jpg

Dragons Age Origins ;)

CrysisNOMLAA.jpg

CrysisMLAA.jpg

Hard to see on Crysis but its there and can be seen ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Age Of Conan

MLAA : http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/derFeef/Screenshots/Age of Conan/th_aoc_MLAA.png
NO MLAA : http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/derFeef/Screenshots/Age of Conan/th_aoc_noMLAA.png

Images are to big so copy/paste to address bar/or click

Crysis Again ;)

crysis_offv5sz.png

crysis_on35xh.png

Can you tell what is on and what is off ;P

and again

NoMLAANoEdgeNoMSAA.jpg

NoMLAAYesEdgeNoMSAA.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Masseffect II MLAA Zoomed 2x Effectiveness 0% Performance HIT

me2comblarge.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------

PERFORMANCE and STATISTICAL information

1286407139552.jpg

MLAA vs 8xaa

Important: In PC it runs 11.8x faster than MSAA 8X

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Soldato
I think this very exciting. It not quite as good looking as MSAA, but it's not that far off. Its API independent, and works on the final frame. That means everything in the image is anti aliased. It's also extremely fast, so it could be a great option where performance is at a premium.

Hats off to the folks at ATI. Hope Nvidia implements something like this :)

Soldato
OP
is MLAA only available on the 6 series ? and works with every game ?

It is a launch 6800 series feature with 10.10a hotfix drivers. ;)
and will be added for 5800 series cards in the future catylist build

but there is a mod fix to allow 5800 series users to use it right now with the 6800 series guys ;) untill its fully supported.

this new feature uses direct compute 5.1 so its only going to be supported by 58xxx and 68xxx cards.

Soldato
Until my 6850 arrives, I'll try and see if this feature is enabled with the 4870 512mb card I'm using atm. I'm installing 10.10a hotfix drivers btw.:)

Edit: just posted after the above threads were posted. So it won't be supported unfortunately

Associate
morphological%20aa.png

For those wondering about the performance "hit".

It is fairly amazing, but I think because it blurs everything in the frame (as it doesn't have access to the geometry on screen), the picture will inevitable look a tad muddy. This probably won't be too big of a deal on higher resolutions, but if you're playing at high res then it's likely you've already got a fast enough PC to use proper AA algorithms anyway.

Still, high fives to ATI.

Back
Top Bottom