Landlady wins battle with Murdoch's Sky TV

Capodecina
Soldato
The European Court of Justice has backed Karen Murphy over her use of a Greek 'Nova' decoder in her Southsea, Portsmouth pub the Red, White and Blue in order to show Premiership games, bypassing Sky's monopoly.

"It has been a rollercoaster, highs and lows, nerves... It has been a strange time and I am glad it is coming to an end. I feel I have taken on the Premier League and Sky." (LINK)

Good on Karen Murphy :)
3588238918.jpg

I'm pleased for her because she was the victim of a malicious criminal prosecution (amazing how quickly the police and CPS will move when it's a large corporation you're "stealing" from) which will hopefully be somehow invalidated now.

I don't think this will fundamentally change anything though, the Premier League will already have a back-up plan to make sure their buddies at Sky don't lose out e.g. sell Sky the rights to the PL in the whole of Europe.

We all know SKY have a monopoly, my local shows every Wigan away game but not home games and it always packed for the away games but also has a licence for Sky Sports so shows Rugby/Football etc.

The sooner the game is less dependant on TV money the better, it just ruins smaller clubs, its ok for the big teams that will never get relegated or struggle for fans due to having massive arm chair supporters (Man United/Chelsea etc.)

Pubs pay £900+ for a monthly sub to sky sports, that is £900 of outgoings that will not necessary bring in punters. Pubs need all the help they can to stay open considering how much tax has been put on beer and how cheap supermarkets sell alcohol for.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15162241

However, the ECJ did add that while live matches were not protected by copyright, any surrounding media, such as any opening video sequence, the Premier League anthem, pre-recorded films showing highlights of recent Premier League matches and various graphics, were "works" protected by copyright.

To use any of these extra parts associated of a broadcast, a pub would need the permission of the Premier League.

It remains to be seen whether pubs could broadcast match action without using any of these Premier League "extras" and thus breaching the league's copyright.

By ensuring that its branding was on screen all the time, the league may be able to claim pubs were in breach of this ECJ ruling on copyright

Why has the european court have anything to do with it ? Why do we need to ask the EUSSR dictatorship what they think?

I think it is disgusting the amount of regulations and licenses the government has on TV. All to encourage monopolies and limit competition.

I don't think this will fundamentally change anything though, the Premier League will already have a back-up plan to make sure their buddies at Sky don't lose out e.g. sell Sky the rights to the PL in the whole of Europe.

I can see this being beneficial in the short term with Sky probably dropping their charges to pubs/clubs but without doubt the Premier League/Sky will hatch an new broadcasting scheme to get over this in the very near future.

Why has the european court have anything to do with it ? Why do we need to ask the EUSSR dictatorship what they think?

I think it is disgusting the amount of regulations and licenses the government has on TV. All to encourage monopolies and limit competition.
Why do you keep bunking off English lessons you naughty, naughty little gnome?

Back
Top Bottom