Landlady wins battle with Murdoch's Sky TV

When you struggle to get more than a thousand people through the gates at most Scottish grounds it's a blessing that there is no premiership football readily available at 3pm.

Also like a lot of people, if it's on tv I'll watch it. I spend enough time watching football as it is and the little break between the lunchtime and evening kick-offs lets me get other stuff done on a Saturday!

It's not like I'll boycott watching it or anything like that, the only real concern is what it might do to lower leagues where even small drops in attendances can have a big impact.

Maybe because its nice to be able to go to a pub without having to see football?

Definitely not my reason. If I'm not at the football I'll easily slip into watching the 3pm kick-offs. I just hope it doesn't stop me/others going to matches.

When you struggle to get more than a thousand people through the gates at most Scottish grounds it's a blessing that there is no premiership football readily available at 3pm.

That's more of a problem with the poor standard of Scottish football surely?

As Robbie Savage put it "Seriously poor league".

Scottish Football is terrible.

They should allow Rangers/Celtic (personally think they'd struggle in prem league) to join the Championship and just let the SPL die a miserable death.

That's more of a problem with the poor standard of Scottish football surely?

As Robbie Savage put it "Seriously poor league".

I won't use this as a debate for why Scottish attendances are low. Quality is only one of the reasons. I went to a Roma match for less than it would cost me to go and see Dundee v Ayr.

Anyway it won't just be Scotland that's affected, it'll hit low-level English clubs too.

Scottish Football is terrible.

They should allow Rangers/Celtic (personally think they'd struggle in prem league) to join the Championship and just let the SPL die a miserable death.

They should expand the SPL, make 2 larger divisions, stop the ludicrous situation of playing teams 3 or 4 times a season and regionalise below those 2 expanded divisions. Plug the loss in fixtures with regionalised or seeded groups in the league cup. That's another argument for another thread though.

Last edited:
The ruling implies that the match its self is showable, the game of football sky do not own, but all of the surrounding stuff (pre match build up and so on) are works of sky and its breaking copyright showing that ;)

Glorious day for European integration though (and a little irony for a very British themed pub in pomp getting away with this sort of thing).

It’s nothing to do with Sky, it’s the FA. The games not shown on sky are not produced by Sky, and all feeds feature FA owned images. Other TV networks showing the games just get a bog standard feed that they have little control over, they may add their own dog or score but even things as simple as replays are out of their control and they don’t have permission to change that. So at the start of the match will be a little graphic to say who is playing, that’s FA owned, even the use of club crests is FA owned. There is basically no way round it.

And how is it a glorious day? Greece pays very little for English football as the market there for it isn’t as big as it is here, if they can now sell to the UK they aren’t going to get the same deal as they did before, they will have to pay more which means their price goes up. The EU have now basically said Europe is one big market for TV rights which theoretically means sky can bid for the whole lot, it’s only going to cost them £130 million more which of course will be passed on to the customer.

The likely outcome of this is the existing TV deal for UK gets extended to Europe so 6 packages are on offer with 4 or 5 likely going to sky and espn picking up what’s left and everyone at home has to pay a couple quid extra a month for the privilege

The ruling implies that the match its self is showable, the game of football sky do not own, but all of the surrounding stuff (pre match build up and so on) are works of sky and its breaking copyright showing that ;)

Glorious day for European integration though (and a little irony for a very british themed pub in pomp getting away with this sort of thing).

Que someone building a box, that blacks out any logos, assuming that's the ruling from the high court. As of yet that's seem to be implied rather than a court ruling from the article.

Que someone building a box, that blacks out any logos, assuming that's the ruling from the high court. As of yet that's seem to be implied rather than a court ruling from the article.

Wouldn't that still break copyright restrictions as you are still processing a copyrighted image at some point?
I have no clue about about the law surrounding this but I can imagine that these little things will be picked up considering how greedy sky is.

I've been watching Premier football on my satellite system since the Premier started from several different countries and one thing I can confirm is that the football usually starts just before the kick off, half time is either foreign adverts or match talk in a foreign language and then the second half starts.
There is currently only one provider with an English audio channel which is Tring from Albania although one of the Finnish channels did have English audio commentary on Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom