Landlady wins battle with Murdoch's Sky TV

Well it is about being able to access and use cross border services when you are apparently in a free EU market and not have a local market (SKY) dictate on what you can and cannot access.

Yep, it annoys me we can do pretty much what we want with physical goods. But not the same for media.

... the Premier League/Sky will hatch an new broadcasting scheme to get over this in the very near future.

Indeed. The tendering process is apparently due to start again in 2013 and some on the BBC have surmised that the Premier League will offer a pan-European license and price it accordingly. The mainland European TV subscriptions is apparently only worth 10% (£130m) of the total amount they get from TV subs.

Hurrah, I can now legally talk about watching English football from other countries which I've been doing for well over 20 years.
In the past I've received at least 3 emails from Mods asking me to be quiet.

That pub probably couldn't afford to pay the normal fee because it was always empty and I'm surprised it remained in business! I used to walk past it almost every day into uni.

That pub probably couldn't afford to pay the normal fee because it was always empty and I'm surprised it remained in business! I used to walk past it almost every day into uni.

So if SKY had used their brains they could have come up with a deal like Brewery's do for all pubs who can't afford.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure stockhausen fancies Rupert Murdoch, this is just his way of dealing with all those repressed feelings.

Oh, and worst 'my pub is rubbish and I have no money' court case ever.

No fine = win
Can't show matches without breaking copyright law = lose

50/50

The ruling implies that the match its self is showable, the game of football sky do not own, but all of the surrounding stuff (pre match build up and so on) are works of sky and its breaking copyright showing that ;)

Glorious day for European integration though (and a little irony for a very british themed pub in pomp getting away with this sort of thing).

It's an odd thing this.
Doesn't mean people are going to stop going to games does it? Not everyone can afford to buy a season ticket or even manage to get a ticket to a game, then the cost of travel etc.. involved if it's not a local team or game you are wanting to see.
It ends up costing thousands in the end and is well out of the reach of most people.

I can't see this having a huge effect on their business because I wonder how many pubs will get their own boxes/dishes set up, not everyone will be wanting to go to a pub to watch it and not everyone has their own dish at home.

Back
Top Bottom