RE050 on one axle, AD08 on the other

Man of Honour
I'm off to the 'Ring and while over there doing a trackday at Spa in a few weeks. I've just checked my tyres and it looks like I need new fronts as they are at 3mm. I really want some AD08's but I can't really afford to shell out for 4 as I've just paid for the Euro Tunnel, new brakes, car tax etc etc.

Would I be an idiot to put two AD08's on the rear of the car put the RE050's on the front, till say May/June when I'd get the other two?

Associate
I would put car stability over tyre wear tbh, yours sounds like a somewhat unique setup!

It's a funny area on the Focus RS. The tourqe biasing differential is very sensitive and putting oddly work tyres on the front may cause the front end to be very 'twitchy'.

I'd have to see how it handled on track first I guess.

Suspended
It's a funny area on the Focus RS. The tourqe biasing differential is very sensitive and putting oddly work tyres on the front may cause the front end to be very 'twitchy'.

I'd have to see how it handled on track first I guess.

Do you not have to change all 4 on that to prevent diff problems? or am I confusing the Focus RS with those crappy old Cavalier & Calibra 4x4's???

Permabanned
Swapping front and rear tyres on any performance car is going to yield odd results initially.

If I had to choose, I'd rather have the grippier tyres on the front of the Clio. Oversteer is easy to manage, understeer is just plain annoying.

My Clio now leans towards oversteer and is a far more rewarding drive.

Caporegime
The issue will probably be more around how the different compounds handle temperature, in parallel the front and rear axles will change pressure at different rates at after contact patch size.

The Nurburgring is a hard track to learn at the best of times. Even more so when the neutral point of your car could be moving as the tyres respond to the hard driving. RE050s are hard and respond well to a bit of heat but are very stiff. How do AD08 compare?

Good luck!

OcUK Staff
The issue will probably be more around how the different compounds handle temperature, in parallel the front and rear axles will change pressure at different rates at after contact patch size.

The Nurburgring is a hard track to learn at the best of times. Even more so when the neutral point of your car could be moving as the tyres respond to the hard driving. RE050s are hard and respond well to a bit of heat but are very stiff. How do AD08 compare?

Good luck!

AD08's are even stiffer! :D

Back
Top Bottom