S2000: Operation Semi-Shaved

Soldato
Took some light front bumper damage (cosmetic only) last year before going away for a while and pledged that once I got back I would finally get round to sorting out the fugly front number plate plinth.

In the planning of I decided the annoying headlight washer jets were for the chop also. They suck, I keep my car clean (and by extension the headlights) and they soak passengers.

Today I got my sprayed parts back and fitted them with a few expletives here and there. Getting the alignment good was a real pain. But a few hours later all was re-attached and brand new black chrome Honda emblems installed. The old ones are chrome and larger and need to be cut out of the front bumper. 2 plastic pegs hold it on with 1 way metal washer retention clips.

Seeing as I needed a new one anyway I went to GREAT lengths getting these over from the US. I personally love them, not too dark to be lost in dark paint but dark enough to be more subtle. They are set off well on the deep bugundy imo!

The numberplate is now attached to a brand new black grille set which makes attachment easy as opposed to fabricating and attaching brackets directly to painted bodywork.

Some nice new flat style wiper blades also help clean up the front.

Anyway, less talk - more pics!

How it used to look:

semi_shave_old.JPG

semi_shave_old2.JPG

How it looks now:
semi_shave_1.JPG

semi_shave_2.JPG

semi_shave_3.JPG

semi_shave_4.JPG

semi_shave_5.JPG

semi_shave_6.JPG

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks goods.

But do you have HID's

You "may" have an issue come MOT time not having washers if you've got HID's.

EDIT: I was researching that whilst the others posted

From the AA said:
HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high so car manufacturers must fit headlamp cleaning and levelling systems. A car will fail if a mandatory headlamp cleaning or levelling system is missing, doesn't work or is obviously defective.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
There's also a law about number plate height :)

It does look better though

I've been extensively through the Jersey law on the matter and there is no specifics about number plate placement other than it must be displayed on the front of the car.

Other than that it's just the specifications of the plate itself. Many people in the UK run plates attached at this height without issue and run them through MOT also.

Jersey has no MOT in the first place and afaik even in the UK the MOT specifies washer jets must be operational if present. Mine are not present, nor are they on JDM models (alebeit they go through the VOSA process for UK approvment as an import).

Soldato
You have not seen the BMI video on car performance on track with the s2000 in round Tsukuba Circuit have you? The numberplate placed there will increase your engine temperature comically. The stock placement holder is bad enough. I think the temperature drop was close to ten degrees just removing that, let alone having a chuffing great numberplate covering it !

I'd consider moving it... and regarding the headlamp washers, just.... don't touch the button? :p

Edit, just found the video on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBGaqLQBnUM

Don't have time to watch it and find the facts now, but have a look at peak Oil + Water temps.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You have not seen the BMI video on car performance on track with the s2000 in round Tsukuba Circuit have you? The numberplate placed there will increase your engine temperature comically. The stock placement holder is bad enough. I think the temperature drop was close to ten degrees just removing that, let alone having a chuffing great numberplate covering it !

I'd consider moving it... and regarding the headlamp washers, just.... don't touch the button? :p

Mines an 06. No button. Automated when lights are on.

1 - I do not live in Japan with stupid heat
2 - I'm not ragging it around a track
3 - If I am ragging it around the track it takes 1 minute to remove the plate, grille or both
4 - The stock placement holder covers no intakes. How does removing it reduce temps by 10 Degrees?
5 - Many many owners run plates in this location with no adverse impact on temps

Soldato
OP
IMHO IMHO IMHO IMHO

I think it looks really chavvy now and the numberplate badge thing doesn't help.

IMHO IMHO IMHO IMHO

I was going to remove the badge but wanted to see what it looked like first. I am still undecided :p

Basically you think a stock JDM S2000 is chavvy then? They have no plate plinth or washer jets ;)

Caporegime
Yeah looks like its nice and smoothed off but then eaten a number plate.

Your day sounds more fun that mine. Freeing a stuck door lock was my highlight

Soldato
Mines an 06. No button. Automated when lights are on.

1 - I do not live in Japan with stupid heat
2 - I'm not ragging it around a track
3 - If I am ragging it around the track it takes 1 minute to remove the plate, grille or both
4 - The stock placement holder covers no intakes. How does removing it reduce temps by 10 Degrees?
5 - Many many owners run plates in this location with no adverse impact on temps

Quick reply...

1 - Japan Climate from Wiki - The average winter temperature in Japan is 5.1 °C (41.2 °F) and the average summer temperature is 25.2 °C (77.4 °F).[81] The highest temperature ever measured in Japan—40.9 °C (105.6 °F)
... that doesn't look HUGELY different to ours - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_the_United_Kingdom#Climate_history Granted thats wiki, but come on, we are hardly comparing the south pole to Dubai

2 - Granted this is 'extreme' but the point still stands.

3 - Didn't realise it was lol easy to remove, guess it mutes the point

4 - You need to look at the design of the number plate holder, it impacts on the airflow into the radiator intake area.

5 - I think you will find it will impact temperate.... I'd be interested to read a comparable test to the BMI one other than 'the bars didn't change on the dash'.

... 6.... Just trying to help :confused::o

Soldato
OP
I'm not really concerned about temps, as you have just stated, it's somewhat extreme. I have watched the BMI lot put stock cars around that track and overheat them. They put them to the edge! :D

The grille is very easy to remove and the plate is attached with bolts that can be undone easily.

Also, you are right - thinking back to the plinth it does foul the opening a little on the bottom overhang.

Soldato
OP
I'd be tempted to go for a vinyl sticker plate instead. That does look smooth now but the smooth corners pulls your eyes to the bumper opening which appears to now have goofy teeth in the form of the number plate.

Sticker plates are illegal now afaik?

And yes, it's a trade off. It does not look perfect but it looks better imo. It will not be to everyone's tastes but with the limited options available I am happy with it.

Sucks we have to run front plates at all in the UK. Major envy of US states where it is optional :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom