WHS2011 Web Access BT Homehub 3.0

Soldato
OP
Manual port forwarding.

WHS201111.png

WHS201112.png

WHS201113.png

that's what I have done, but I get a UPnP id not enabled on the router error when I try to run the wizard on WHS2011 :(

Last edited:
Associate
If you were after web traffic it would have to be 80-81, however the point is mute. If you forward 80/443 to a single device then other devices will more than likely have issues in future.

I'll wager the problem is the home hub though. If upnp was working then you shouldn't need to do anything else, and the old hubs did have problems with upnp - no clue about the current ones.

Soldato
If you were after web traffic it would have to be 80-81, however the point is mute. If you forward 80/443 to a single device then other devices will more than likely have issues in future.

Why would port forwarding to a 'single' device cause any issues? (Ignoring for the moment that you can only port forward to a single device.)

It's incoming traffic, you either block it, or you route it to the device you want to handle traffic on that port.

I also can't understand where you plucked port 81 from?

Opening and port forwarding these ports will have zero impact on outgoing traffic.

Soldato
so a cheap aftermarket adsl router should solve my problems?

For a simple port forwarding issue like this I can't see why you'd need a different router.

At first glance your port forwarding settings look okay.

Does the WHS wizard have an option to skip the router configuration part? Presumably all it's trying to do is open and forward the ports you've already opened and forwarded.

Soldato
OP
For a simple port forwarding issue like this I can't see why you'd need a different router.

At first glance your port forwarding settings look okay.

Does the WHS wizard have an option to skip the router configuration part? Presumably all it's trying to do is open and forward the ports you've already opened and forwarded.

it does, but when I click skip it just takes me to an online help page :(

Soldato
also, not sure if this relates to anything, but I can no longer access Hotmail or messenger :(

Just forwarding a few ports shouldn’t have any impact. Any easy check is to reset the router to default and see if it fixes the problem.

it does, but when I click skip it just takes me to an online help page

If the wizard just dumps you to an online help page then I’d guess that the wizards entire purpose is to configure the ports via UPnP. Have you tried accessing the server externally after manually forwarding the ports? It probably won’t work if you try it from inside your network.

Soldato
OP
nope resetting the router hasn't helped, cant get Hotmail or messenger on any of my pcs :(

no I have no way of seeing if it works as I only have my internal network at the moment.

Associate
You wont have any problems forwarding to a single device. Your computers will all be Natted so they are assigned a random port assigned by your router - that way things know how to get back to which PC.

Soldato
any ideas how I get WHS2011 to see that UPnP IS enabled on my homehub?

No, but I can confirm that UPnP is unnecessary.

I just manually configured the port forwarding (UPnP completely disabled, which is my router default), and then ran the WHS wizard. I ticked the box to skip router setup, hit next and allowed the wizard to finish. Works fine.

Soldato
OP
No, but I can confirm that UPnP is unnecessary.

I just manually configured the port forwarding (UPnP completely disabled, which is my router default), and then ran the WHS wizard. I ticked the box to skip router setup, hit next and allowed the wizard to finish. Works fine.

ok, did a fresh install of WHS2011 this morning so will give it another go tonight. just odd that when I clicked skip it took me to the do it manually button, but when I clicked it it just took me to the help page.

is it worth me disabling UPnP on the hub?

Soldato
OP
right, well now im not getting the UPnP error im getting 'Port Forwarding setting from your router cannot be found' do I assign the port forwading thing (in my pics) to the SERVER pc?

Soldato
You port forward to the IP (or name) of the server on your LAN. Get it configured and then (re-)run the wizard.

It looks like the wizard triggers some sort of external test to confirm that the ports are open and forwarded correctly, so you should get confirmation when it's working.

Soldato
OP
You port forward to the IP (or name) of the server on your LAN. Get it configured and then (re-)run the wizard.

It looks like the wizard triggers some sort of external test to confirm that the ports are open and forwarded correctly, so you should get confirmation when it's working.

I have done that, but I still keep getting port forward not found error. its annoying now. port 443 seems to be the problem, but its definitely set.

Soldato
All I can suggest is completely disabling UPnP on the router and see if that helps.

Forwarding a couple of ports shouldn't be much of an issue, but both the Home and the Business Hubs are pretty nasty pieces of kit.

Back
Top Bottom