Royal Male Destroyed My Package!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gangster
Associate
I sold my camera and lens this week (Canon 5D MK2 & Canon 24-70mm MK2) and included 2 spare batteries. The buyer contacted me today telling me the camera has not arrived even though I sent it via Special Delivery.

I called Royal Mail today and they said the package was not delivered because it contained batteries which is a prohibited item and subsequently they have destroyed the package for safety reasons. Because it contained a prohibited item I can not make any claims!

£2000 down the drain! Is there really nothing I can do? I know it was wrong of my to send batteries but did they really have to destroy the whole package!?

Soldato
We deliver batteries all the time as specials, They always have a huge hazardous sticker on them stating what they are, I'd ring customer services and kickoff.

Batteries - new alkaline metal, nickel metal hydride (NiMH) or nickel cadmium (NiCd)

Including D, C, 9V, AA, AAA and AAAA alkaline batteries. Must be new and sent unopened in their original retail packaging. Surround with cushioning material e.g. bubble wrap. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

Caporegime
That sounds pretty ridiculous if you ask me. What batteries were they? As stated in the link someone posted above batteries should be fine as long as they are packaged correctly and not massive/heavy?

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds like BS, why didn't they refuse to take it or ask you to pick it up if they'd accepted it but didn't want to deliver it? wtf? Sounds like code for "it was nicked and we don't want to admit it, here's an excuse we can use."

I'd kick off, they should refuse to take items if they are prohibited. I've had batteries delivered by special delivery recently (for cordless drills).

Transmission breaker
Don
Lithium ion/polymer/metal/alloy batteries when not sent with, or contained in/connected to an electronic device, are prohibited.

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/Tell-me-about-Restricted-Goods

Although they seem to have contradictory advice on another page..

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/Tell-me-about-Prohibited-Goods

Bad luck though, kick off at them, you have nothing to lose. Point out the confusion in their own guidlines, as above, and if nothing happens, esclate higher up the organisation. Find contact details of a senior exec, and include any background information, then if nothing happens start talking about media action.

Last edited:
Soldato
More like someone's nicked it and is trying to get away with it by saying they had to "destroy" it. :mad:

SD means they have your details, they should have called you to arrange collection rather than just destroying it???!

Soldato
The batteries he is referring to are a fairly small compact battery that goes into the camera, they certainly aren't big! They are also supplied with covers that go over the contacts (which are a good way of keeping track if its charged or depleted due to a little reversible symbol).

Search for 'Canon lp-e6' and you will see what they are.

Sounds pretty ridiculous to me.
How do they know there are batteries anyway?
Do they use X-Ray scanners?

Part of me wonders whether somebody opened it up, stole it and used the batteries as an excuse. Do Royal Mail have to show clear and concise evidence of what they have destroyed? Its ultimately somebody's property.

Man of Honour
I can't believe that they would do something as stupid as this. I'd be on the phone to customer service until the line melts, emailing whoever runs the service and having a word with watchdog before the end of the day.

Transmission breaker
Don
Seeing as I am feeling sorry for you, how about you try these guys...

Akudo Ike, PR Manager
Royal Mail Group
[email protected]

James Eadie, Director of Product & Services PR
Royal Mail Group
[email protected]

Tim Cowen, Director of Consumer & Business Media Relations
Royal Mail Group,
[email protected]

Poke enough people high enough, and it will get sorted ;)

(I should clarify, these numbers were all available in the public domain, so will cause no legal issues to OCUK)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom