Royal Male Destroyed My Package!

Status
Not open for further replies.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
This is ridiculous, Surely they would open the parcel take out & destroy the batterys then contact the sender/receiver to collect the camera.
I personally would not accept this & would demand proof they destroyed the camera & not just a piece of paper stating they destroyed it but either pics, vid evidence or bits of the smashed up camera.

Soldato
Point being according to RM guidelines it sounds like you were within them for UK deliveries unless you maybe didn't meet their packaging guidelines:

Electronic devices sent with lithium batteries
(including mobile phones, digital cameras, etc) where the battery is not connected to the device.

Packaging guidelines: The maximum number of lithium batteries allowed in each parcel is the minimum number required to power the device plus two spares. For lithium ion/polymer batteries the Watt-hour rating must not exceed 20Wh per cell or 100Wh per battery. For lithium metal/alloy batteries the lithium content must not be more than 1g per cell or 2g per battery. The maximum net quantity of cells or batteries is 5kg per parcel. Each cell and battery must be of a type proven to meet the requirements of each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, section 38.3. Cells or batteries that are defective or damaged are forbidden. Cells and batteries must be packed in inner packagings that completely enclose the cell or battery and protect them from short circuit. The equipment sent with cells or batteries must be packed in strong rigid packaging and must be secured against movement within the outer packaging and packed to prevent accidental activation. Must be presented at the counter. Sender’s name and address must be visible on the parcel.

Kick up enough of a fuss and get to the right people and I'm sure you'll probably get money back.

Soldato
I had a set of batteries arrive on Wednesday. Ni-Mh instead of Lipos but I would guess that part of their journey to me was via air as they came from Milton Keynes.

They came packaged in a standard jiffy bag which was not marked as to what the contents was. Sent as first class delivery.

Soldato
I had a set of batteries arrive on Wednesday. Ni-Mh instead of Lipos but I would guess that part of their journey to me was via air as they came from Milton Keynes.

They came packaged in a standard jiffy bag which was not marked as to what the contents was. Sent as first class delivery.

Ni-Mh batteries are not prohibited. Its just lithium ion when not contained in a device

Soldato
http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/6966-DG-A5-Business-customer booklet.pdf

The consignment must be accompanied with a document with
an indication that the package contains lithium metal cells or
batteries...

Failure to comply with the legal requirements for the transport of dangerous goods
puts lives at risk and is a criminal offence which may be subject to prosecution. If you
send dangerous goods and do not comply with the applicable terms and conditions
then Royal Mail may deal with the goods as it sees fit including destroying or disposing
of the relevant items.

But I agree with others, they haven't destroyed the camera.

Man of Honour
Afaik, once you hand over a special delivery the parcel and its contents actually belongs to Royal Mail. I know this as I sent a item, only to have paypal then refund the buyer while parcel was still in transit

There was nothing I could do to stop the delivery even though I was the sender

I can imagine if they deemed parcel contents against t&c they would destroy it rather than courier items back to you... Very unfair though

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom