iPad Mini Retina, My Review

Associate
Just thought I'd give my opinion on my newly purchased device in case anyone may be interested.

As a bit of background (as I know Apple is a company who seem to divide opinions), I've owned a couple of Android Devices, including my current HTC One and I've had an iPhone 4 and currently own an ATV2.

Right,

Why did I get the iPad Mini Retina?
This is the first tablet that I've owned and one that I've been waiting to come out. Until now my requirements for a tablet have always been let down by either the weight, the screen resolution, the size or the aspect ratio.

The first iPad Mini only fell short on the fact that it wasn't retina. With retina almost being a standard across Apple's range, it was a bit of a let down. But considering a tablet is generally a device that improves capability but doesn't really give you any new capability, it wasn't really an issue for me to wait.

The new Nexus 7 tempted me, but I really think a 4:3 aspect ratio is best for a tablet as I'd be using it mainly for web browsing and gaming.

I've never got on with the 10" tablets that I've tried. They've always seemed cumbersome to use and have given me the impression that they'd be tiresome to use without placing them on a table.

Hardware
Very good. The casing, weight and screen are all almost perfect. It feels good in the hands and isn't too heavy to use for prolonged periods.

The only niggles I have are with the screen. Firstly the colours are more washed out than my HTC One. This is probably due to the reduced colour range that the screen can deliver. The main issue however is down to the screen not being flush to the glass. This is almost the first thing I noticed about the device. It means that when you touch the glass more than softly you can feel it depress slightly giving an almost "spongy" feel. No reviews I read mentioned this and it's something that isn't expected on a premium device. It becomes a reduced issue after the first 10 minutes but it's instantly noticeable after coming from another premium device.

Software - iOS
This is my first use of iOS7 and I really like the new look. It's still very Apple but quite a bit more modern and still easy to use. I like the home screen layout more than Android as I only really use the app drawer on Android anyway as I've never seen any benefit to widgets.

I don't know if it's my experience, but I would say iOS7 seems quite buggy. Safari has crashed on me quite a few times, I've had a full lock up of iOS and Airplay becomes choppy if I'm using a data heavy website at the sametime.

Software - Apps
iOS still very much feels like the developers' lead platform which means the amount of good quality apps is ahead of any other platform. Also the tablet optimised apps are brilliant and offer loads more useable space as opposed to being scaled up phone apps. Ebay, Deezer, Flipboard are all brilliant examples of this and really make the iPad a productive and rewarding device to use. Considering the software available generally makes or breaks a device, the iPad has got to be better than any other in this field.

Software - iTunes
On windows, still sluggish and buggy. It took me six hours to sync my iPad. It wouldn't recoginse my device so I ran through Apple's troubleshooting guide many times until I eventually found a folder called "Lockdown" that once deleted, made everything fine. I came to the conclusion that it must have been there from an old install of itunes and isn't removed upon uninstallation for some bizzare reason.

Conclusion
Overall, I'm very pleased with the iPad Mini and would definitely recommend one. If they improve the screen for this year's revision, from a hardware point of view it will be perfect. From a software point of view, the app store and apps available are brilliant and really make the device. Apple could do with sorting out the bugs with iTunes and Airplay though. The issues I've been experiencing, whilst they don't ruin the experience, the phrase "It just works" is one that is no longer applicable.

Soldato
The main issue however is down to the screen not being flush to the glass. This is almost the first thing I noticed about the device. It means that when you touch the glass more than softly you can feel it depress slightly giving an almost "spongy" feel.

I've used most iterations of iPads and iPhones, along with a couple of "premium" Android products, and what you describe above doesn't sound at all right with regards the screen being spongy :confused:

You can actually feel it give way when you touch it? It should be completely solid!

Soldato
I've used most iterations of iPads and iPhones, along with a couple of "premium" Android products, and what you describe above doesn't sound at all right with regards the screen being spongy :confused:

You can actually feel it give way when you touch it? It should be completely solid!

Not personally used an iPad mini for a long period of time, but the display isn't laminated to the glass. I noticed that with the old iPod touches it would be slightly spongy, and the 3G/3GS. Maybe flex in the glass. Just the way it is I think, my HTC Desire HD back in the day was far, far worse (entire assembly would move a good couple of mm).

Last edited:
Soldato
I really like mine. I got if after already having the ipad 2 for 2 years. Yes, the colours are a bit too washed out. I'm not sure if that's something that could be tweaked slightly with a software update or it's just how the screen is.

As for IOS7, I also really like that apart from the new folder system. You only get to see 9 icons at a time which is fine for a phone but not for a tablet. You get this little bubble in the middle of the screen and the rest is just wallpaper. I've already started moving apps out of folders on the ipad 2, even though they've always been in there.

Associate
OP
After messing with it last night, it's just a bit of flex in the glass. It definitely doesn't feel as solid as my phone, but this may be due to the size of the screen.

Soldato
After messing with it last night, it's just a bit of flex in the glass. It definitely doesn't feel as solid as my phone, but this may be due to the size of the screen.

Well, I don't have a retina mini to hand, but I can categorically say there is no flexing in either my iPhone 5 and "regular" mini, not the GFs 5C or her mini either.

If I tap any of the displays with a finger nail, it's solid. What you are describing still sounds slightly odd.

Associate

Thinner glass and different screen bonding method to the 1-4. Not sure if the Air is the same though.... there are a good few threads out there that describe exactly what you're feeling & seeing.

My Mini (non-retina) does it and every other Mini I've fiddled with does too, including every one I played with in the Metrocentre and Newcastle fruit shops. Felt weird at first when I switched from my iPad 2 to the Mini, but I got used to it sharpish.

Screen doesn't flex for me at all, but feels a little "hollow" if you get my meaning. Surprised it never triggered a "ooh, my copy of The Matrix has a green tint, is the DVD knacked" style drama!

Soldato
This sounds worrying as I didn't any such flex on my old iPad 4.

The ipad 4 and previous generations have a real solid screen. Going to an air, the first thing I noticed was how spongey the screen was in comparison. It sounds like the mini could be similar to the air in this regard.

Soldato
The screen is actually quite bad relative to what you should expect from a premium tablet. I would find it hard to describe it as 'almost perfect' personally.

However, is it a deal breaker? Not for most people I would imagine. The masses wouldn't even notice, and I don't think it's a big detriment to the overall experience. It's just disappointing.

Soldato
My first gen Mini is absolutely solid! Any other iPads I have used have been the same, so you may have a fault there Malc.

The screen having that little bounce too it is something that is on all iPads, the way they build the device means there is a bit of a gap between the screen and the glass, if you check something like displaymate it should have a decent right on. It is one of the reasons the day thing is crazy reflect. It not a fault but how it was designed and I believe the main reason was if your break the glass the deice still works.

I can notice it on my iPad2 and any other iPad I have used and it is something I can't reproduce on other tablets.

Soldato
The screen having that little bounce too it is something that is on all iPads, the way they build the device means there is a bit of a gap between the screen and the glass, if you check something like displaymate it should have a decent right on. It is one of the reasons the day thing is crazy reflect. It not a fault but how it was designed and I believe the main reason was if your break the glass the deice still works.

I can notice it on my iPad2 and any other iPad I have used and it is something I can't reproduce on other tablets.

Have you tried the air or the new mini retina? It really is quite different (not in a good way) to previous gen iPads. The weight saving on the air sort of makes up for it.

Soldato
Have you tried the air or the new mini retina? It really is quite different (not in a good way) to previous gen iPads. The weight saving on the air sort of makes up for it.

With the Air I get what you mean, it feel rather hollow and a bit empty on the inside compared to older iPads, I guess it is due to having less battery.

rpg

rpg

Associate
Back
Top Bottom