• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI response on Oil Fan Leakage!

Caporegime
Yes, MSI knows about this issue. If you keep the card in hot condition (fan keeps running at 100% rpm all the time, for example “coins mining”) fan oil leak may occur. AMD GAMING cards seem to be more affected by this. This is fan vendor production issue. The vendor improved fan solution since Nov. 2013 to prevent recurrence of this issue. New production models are not affected by this.

If you happen to buy a VGA that was made before Nov. 2013 and fan oil leakage occurred, please accept our apology and send the VGA to RMA where it will be solved. We keep tracing this issue and quality.

I was contacted today with this above ^ Kept it separate from the other thread as it doesn't get lost

Soldato
MSI holding their hands up again, another reason why we love them.

Msi must be sick to death of niggly manufacturing issues on amd cards over the last few years.

Caporegime
OP
MSI holding their hands up again, another reason why we love them.

They didn't hold their hands up first though and neither did OCUK, not sure why people are so quick to say "Well done".

Anyway, at least this will put some positives thoughts for those that have had the issue :cool:

Permabanned
I bet not all peeps were running hot conditions esp. in UK with 100% fan and mining though, so that a little get out of jail marketing BS.

Caporegime
OP
I bet not all peeps were running hot conditions esp. in UK with 100% fan and mining though, so that a little get out of jail marketing BS.

Pretty much, they are putting more blame on people mining and running 100% fan speed :mad:.

Sorry it's not your fault, it's our fans they are ****, is what they should be saying

Soldato
They didn't hold their hands up first though and neither did OCUK, not sure why people are so quick to say "Well done".

Anyway, at least this will put some positives thoughts for those that have had the issue :cool:

True but they did need to get hold of faulty cards, identity the problem then see if its batch related to cards or fan batch etc...as they did with the multiple 7950 problems.

Can't expect them to issue an RMA statement straight off the bat, it would cause them no end of headaches :)

Soldato
Well my GTX770 Gaming Edition leaked oil without any fan speed adjusting...

Even if improved since nov 2013, suspect they will still be sleeve bearing fans.

Last edited:
Soldato
Pretty much, they are putting more blame on people mining and running 100% fan speed :mad:.

Sorry it's not your fault, it's our fans they are ****, is what they should be saying

I may get flamed for this, but it's hardly the manufacturers fault if people buy something then use it in a way it was never designed/intended/expected to be used and it fails as a result.

If somebody bought a VW Polo from their local dealer then entered it in the Paris–Dakar rally and the suspension broke then they posted about it in the motors subsection complaining about VW's shocks they would get eaten alive.

Associate
Took my MSI GTX 780 TwinFrozr Gaming OC card out yesterday (replaced it with a GTX 780 with reference cooler to match the build), and there was no leaking even after being a card in a 3-way SLi setup. It usually ran at 45-47% fan speed at hit the lower 70's at max load.

Permabanned
I may get flamed for this, but it's hardly the manufacturers fault if people buy something then use it in a way it was never designed/intended/expected to be used and it fails as a result.

If somebody bought a VW Polo from their local dealer then entered it in the Paris–Dakar rally and the suspension broke then they posted about it in the motors subsection complaining about VW's shocks they would get eaten alive.

What part do you not understand?

Are you and MSI trying to say all the cards were in a hot environment, running 100% fan as mining?

The fans are flawed end of.

Caporegime
OP

So the fan isn't designed to run at 100%? The card isn't designed to get hot at all?

What part do you not understand?

Are you and MSI trying to say all the cards were in a hot environment, running 100% fan as mining?

The fans are flawed end of.

This ^

Basically according to MSI the fans are not designed to cool a hot gpu or run at the highest speed!

Caporegime
As for me, nothing at this time as I have no fan issue at the moment and I don't mine, fan is about 85% in gaming and temps 65C MAX

WT_?

See this? its a Tahiti LE (1536 SP), its mine, it has one 92mm fan and a pathetic excuse for a HS, under that huge steel black shroud there is a lump of Alloy that's no bigger than your hand.

@ 1200 / 1600 it never gets over 75c on a quiet 40% fan profile.

Something wrong with your GPU's cooling or is your case just not much good?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
WT_?

See this? its a Tahiti LE (1536 SP), its mine, it has one 92mm fan and pathetic excuse for a HS, under that huge steel black shroud there is a lump of Alloy that's no bigger than your hand.

@ 1200 / 1600 it never gets over 75c on a quiet 40% fan profile.

Something wrong with your GPU's cooling or is your case just not much good?

Yes, it's my case which cooled my 660 overclocked to the point it never went over 55C in games :) and my CPU never gets over 65C through prime. The msi Fans are just not very good!

Oh just noticed you posted a 7870 ( Totally different cards )

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom