• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI response on Oil Fan Leakage!

Soldato
I may get flamed for this, but it's hardly the manufacturers fault if people buy something then use it in a way it was never designed/intended/expected to be used and it fails as a result.

If somebody bought a VW Polo from their local dealer then entered it in the Paris–Dakar rally and the suspension broke then they posted about it in the motors subsection complaining about VW's shocks they would get eaten alive.

But it is meant to do 100% fan speed without breaking, my stock cooler needs 100% to stop throttling :D 100% fan speed is within spec so shouldn't cause this to happen.

Caporegime
Associate
No, GPUs are NOT designed to run at high load load 24/7. Can they be? Yes. Should they be? No. It's not a dangerous point at all. Anyone who thinks a GPU can be run flat out continuously without any kind of side effect is ABSOLUTELY expecting ridiculous things. If you want to run compute functions non-stop that are designed to do this, buy a suitable product to do it. Not a gaming GPU.

Is your average consumer car designed to run at high load 24/7? No. Can it be? If you want. Expect problems to arise earlier than normal though!

Then what if I game for 12 hours a day or more? (there are plenty of people that do and if I didn't have a job or girlfriend, haha...)

As I said, there are things other than mining that put similar loads on the GPU.

Should I have what I do with the card limited, then? Should they say "Warranty only applies if you've only gamed on for four hours a day"

I'm not disagreeing that the cards aren't designed for 24/7 mining loads, but if they can't do this reasonably reliably, I don't see how they can expected to play high end games either. Where as most people will leave the fan on AUTO and let the card's temperature raise into the 80s, miners will generally set the fan pretty high. So I wonder what would kill endurance more really.

Soldato
Then what if I game for 12 hours a day or more? (there are plenty of people that do and if I didn't have a job or girlfriend, haha...)

As I said, there are things other than mining that put similar loads on the GPU.

Should I have what I do with the card limited, then? Should they say "Warranty only applies if you've only gamed on for four hours a day"

I'm not disagreeing that the cards aren't designed for 24/7 mining loads, but if they can't do this reasonably reliably, I don't see how they can expected to play high end games either. Where as most people will leave the fan on AUTO and let the card's temperature raise into the 80s, miners will generally set the fan pretty high. So I wonder what would kill endurance more really.

1 - 12 hours a day is not 24 hours a day
2- Gaming, even in high end titles, does not expose the GPU to constant 100% load

Permabanned
They cannot prove you gamed or mined for X hours or ran its fan full pelt.

If it fails it gets replaced simple as that and the fans on these units were faulty and their earlier excuses were BS (Fan bearing is overfilled with oil at factory, its totally normal to leak some oil) and yes spray it all overt your Mobo etc.

There is nothing included with any GPU I have owned to say I can only run it at X fan speed for X hours per day or I void warranty.

Caporegime
OP
From Play3r
http://www.play3r.net/

While overall I have no problems with MSI they did let me down with the R9 GPUs. It took me 7 different Cards before I got 2 that worked and as you mentioned they were all due to either bearing oil leaks or other fan issues. Can say when I finally got 2 that worked they were brilliant though lol -Ben

:eek: 7 ouch

Back
Top Bottom