Crytek in danger of bankruptcy

Soldato
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/cryte...ngine-not-good-ryse-development-catastrophic/

I know that a lot of PC gamers hate Crytek for what it did to the Crysis series but let’s face it; this studio had a lot of potential. And when we say a lot, we mean A LOT. German videogames magazine “Gamestar” has reported that Crytek is in big trouble and that it may go bankrupt.

Crytek has more than 800 employees

They DO have A LOT of people for not so many games out there.

If they do go down the pan, I wonder what this will mean for upcoming games like Star Citizen and Kingdom Come who use Cryengine?.

not a lot a company will come in and take over while they look at what can be saved and what to sell off as for the engine stuff it will still work the same just any royalty's will just be paid to a hold company.

Basically the same as what happened to THQ

There biggest problem is they tried to expaned to quickly and at the size they are they need to be releasing a game every year / 2 years at min and not free to play stuff like bioware

Switching to consoles and chasing the cod dream didnt go as planned... Good riddance

Can you really blame them though? They have to go where the money is, especially with company that size. Pointless making PC games for a niche crowd when the potential to make 40 times as much exists elsewhere.

Serves them right their CEO lied over several Crysis games on PC then had the cheek to blame PC gamers for the low sales (if you can call millions of copies low sales how many could they sell anyway its not like the gameplay was compelling!).

Crysis 3 looked good but the gameplay was shallow & the story was like Crysis 2 incomprehensible.

I do not even think their Cry Engine 3 looks all that either compared to Metro Last Light its average.

EA will most likely buy them or their IP's :rolleyes: but 800 staff for their output is a stupid business model Cry Engine 3 is never going to be as popular as Unreal Engine 4 either.

Can you really blame them though? They have to go where the money is, especially with company that size. Pointless making PC games for a niche crowd when the potential to make 40 times as much exists elsewhere.

they were never in any sort of trouble as pc devs. they were growing rapidly.

Serves them right their CEO lied over several Crysis games on PC then had the cheek to blame PC gamers for the low sales (if you can call millions of copies low sales how many could they sell anyway its not like the gameplay was compelling!).

Crysis 3 looked good but the gameplay was shallow & the story was like Crysis 2 incomprehensible.

I do not even think their Cry Engine 3 looks all that either compared to Metro Last Light its average.

EA will most likely buy them or their IP's :rolleyes: but 800 staff for their output is a stupid business model Cry Engine 3 is never going to be as popular as Unreal Engine 4 either.

There is at least as many game being developed using CryEngine 3/4 as there is using Unreal 4.

The problem is having 800 employees and making huge budget titles every few years isn't a good business models. Companies need to release a game every year just to make money these days as development costs so much.

Crysis 1/Warhead were great FPS games in their own right, even without all the fancy tech behind them. But that said, that's all I really like from Crytek, and to make just 2 good games over the course of multiple years with quite a large team (was probably smaller when they created the original Crysis) is a pretty bad situation to be in.

Hope they can be saved, if not I'm sure the engine will survive. It seems like a great engine and I am looking forward to home front being made on it.

Back
Top Bottom