Crytek in danger of bankruptcy

Really don't get people being happy about their potential demise.

"Oh good, less developers, awesome" - isnt exactly what comes to mind for me.

Semiaccurate mentioned not long back that a studio was in pretty serious trouble and the change in licensing was, I don't know the beginning of the end or an attempt to save itself. Without a subscription I didn't know which studio was being talked about but the guesses were either epic or Crytek.

I wouldn't compare Crytek and their company to your average game maker, making games and making a marketable engine with great tools and offering support will make for a much bigger than average game dev. That said Epic only appear to have 160 people working for them.

It always depends though, both companies have subsidiaries, it could be that Epic have 160 people in the main headquarters and they don't count the other subsidiaries while Crytek count every last person in all arms of the company.

It should be noted that Epic also made the same very drastic change in game licensing that Crytek made. Switching from asking for what seems like 300k+ to licence it with a % of revenue from the game on top of a bigger upfront fee and less or no % from the game. Crytek were apparently at one time asking for around a million to licence it... which is why probably almost no one did. They need their engine to be licensed on the scale Unreal engines have been.

It was a million quid for the license and tools yea. It was a nice enough engine but i seriously have played smoother games on much older single core engines. There is simply not enough games being made on it for them to survive either as you say.

And 800 staff sounds like a huge amount of bloat. Free to play worked as a model, I really cannot see why design for free cannot be the same. No costs until the game starts to ship as a retail product and then take 35% and 50% if it makes over £1 million or something. People showing off mods on Youtube would be brilliant PR for them. Hell just look at the sheer amount of dross on steam being sold on complete turd game engines and imagine if they all used Cryengine SDK.

Also look at this, they make no games.

Crytek Black Sea in Sofia, Bulgaria, founded in 2001 as Black Sea Studios, acquired and renamed by Crytek in 2008.
Crytek Budapest in Budapest, Hungary, founded in 2007.
Crytek Istanbul in Istanbul, Turkey, founded in 2012.
Crytek Shanghai in Shanghai, China, founded in 2012.
Crytek Seoul in Seoul, South Korea, founded in 2010.
Crytek UK in Nottingham, England, founded as Free Radical Design in 1998, acquired and renamed by Crytek in 2009.
Crytek USA in Austin, United States, founded in 2013.
Crytek Ukraine in Kiev, Ukraine, founded in 2006.

Also look at this, they make no games.

Crytek Black Sea in Sofia, Bulgaria, founded in 2001 as Black Sea Studios, acquired and renamed by Crytek in 2008.
Crytek Budapest in Budapest, Hungary, founded in 2007.
Crytek Istanbul in Istanbul, Turkey, founded in 2012.
Crytek Shanghai in Shanghai, China, founded in 2012.
Crytek Seoul in Seoul, South Korea, founded in 2010.
Crytek UK in Nottingham, England, founded as Free Radical Design in 1998, acquired and renamed by Crytek in 2009.
Crytek USA in Austin, United States, founded in 2013.
Crytek Ukraine in Kiev, Ukraine, founded in 2006.

Wow. What the hell are all these studios doing?

I'll be surprised if CIG don't employ a few of the important ones, or possibly go for the engine rights. Seeing how SC uses a heavily modded CryEngine.

Heh completely off topic but seeing Ukraine on that list reminds me of something that happened to my brother at work recently - client asking why one of their servers was down, got onto the other end in Kiev (pretty much expected the reply) "if your client wants the server back up they are going to need to hire themselves an army and retake the building".

Heh completely off topic but seeing Ukraine on that list reminds me of something that happened to my brother at work recently - client asking why one of their servers was down, got onto the other end in Kiev (pretty much expected the reply) "if your client wants the server back up they are going to need to hire themselves an army and retake the building".

:)

From what I understood of their business, they had re-positioned themselves primarily as an Engine business and in that space they were somewhat similar to iD (before they got out) - in that they were technically ahead of the curve in terms of graphical whizbangs. Epic was their main competitor, and they shipped a lot more licenses based on actually having a good toolchain for their licensees, specifically for the 90% of production staff that weren't hardcore engine programmers.

Unity3d is the big game in town these days, they got a huge amount of traction by their licensing model. It caused Epic to change their licensing bigtime, Crytek were niche already. They couldn't sustainably follow.

Shame for the employees of Crytek.

Crysis Warhead is a total disaster, it has that Securom software, i cant even start the game !

it's a huge shame because Warhead was the best

Best game I ever played for performce to graphics ratio would have to be Crysis 3. Recently revisted it when I got my second 670.

Put all settings max with 4xTXAA and it ran super smooth. No hitching or stutter like some games. :o (Watchdogs :mad:)

Best game I ever played for performce to graphics ratio would have to be Crysis 3. Recently revisted it when I got my second 670.

Put all settings max with 4xTXAA and it ran super smooth. No hitching or stutter like some games. :o (Watchdogs :mad:)

so true crysis 3 scales linearly with gpu power

Back
Top Bottom