New Fiestas being targeted by thieves

Soldato
It may purely be coincidence, but this weekend I had someone knock on my door to tell me their Fiesta identical to mine was stolen without the keys and also saw an article on the website of my local paper.

What's the deal with thieves targeting new Fiestas? From googling it seems cars with the keyless entry/start are more susceptible to theft (which mine does not have) but I'm still concerned my car could be targeted.

I've resorted to blocking it in with my other car but that's going to be tedious for the next 18 months until the lease ends! I also never got round to buying GAP insurance which was a silly move on my part.

Anything else I can do to protect myself?

Soldato
interesting. a mate of mine had his new b-max went missing few night ago. his was keyless as well. b-max is based on fiesta.

thieves must have found the loophole in the keyless system?

Soldato
I use a disklok on my Focus.

Where's the OBD port on the Fiesta? If it's down by your right knee, find something to cover it up, or if you can, unscrew it and hide it further back in the dashboard.

Don
What has the OBD Port got to do with it? Surely you need to get into the Car first anyway?

Or is it a case of you can use a laptop to intercept the Keyless entry signals, but you then need an OBD connection to bypass the immobiliser and start the engine?

Soldato
What has the OBD Port got to do with it? Surely you need to get into the Car first anyway?

Or is it a case of you can use a laptop to intercept the Keyless entry signals, but you then need an OBD connection to bypass the immobiliser and start the engine?

I know on the focus you can break the corner of the window without the internal alarm sensor spotting you, allowing you to put your arm down to the OBD port and insert your tool which will disable the alarm and unlock the doors, as shown in the video above.

You're then free to clone a new key using a laptop, and drive away.

Soldato

Physical access to the OBD port is required to "reprogram" and fool the car into unlocking / disarming the immobiliser / starting. If the thieves do it quickly enough, the alarm won't be too much of an issue.

I might have to test mine (with the window open, not by smashing it!) to see if such a dead spot exists :p

Caporegime
I know on the focus you can break the corner of the window without the internal alarm sensor spotting you, allowing you to put your arm down to the OBD port and insert your tool which will disable the alarm and unlock the doors, as shown in the video above.

You're then free to clone a new key using a laptop, and drive away.

This is what the video I posted above says too (start at 5:20 to see how it's done).

There's a black spot in the sensor coverage which is at the front of the side windows near the wing mirror. Break the glass with a spark plug there and it doesn't set off the alarm. You can then reach in and get to the OBD port which you can interrogate for the car's key codes.

Apparently.

Soldato
My friend just picked up a facelift MK 3 Focus ST3 with the keyfree system as standard and the dealer told him to get an aftermarket alarm fitted that disables the OBD port ! Not a good advert for the system.

Last edited:
Soldato
My friend just picked up a facelift MK 3 Focus ST3 with the keyfree system as standard and the dealer told him to get an aftermarket alarm fitted that disables the OBD port ! Not a good advert for the system.

I would have thought the Dealers would fit these as standard

Soldato
OP
I called Ford's technical helpdesk today as I was concerned the security wasn't up to standard. The guy I spoke the media have portrayed the keyless system as being a weak point but it's in no way less secure than a traditional key system (like mine).

He said around a year ago there was a huge wave of thefts which the media reported on but they keyless system wasn't any less secure.

Not sure I buy it but I think the weak point is the keyless system which thankfully my Fiesta does not have. I wished I had asked the girl which model she had so I could work out what kind of security it had.

Back
Top Bottom