Volkswagen cheats emissions tests!

Soldato
I think an £11b bill might make company's think twice... Massive costs. Not sure why it's so high I remember something similar happening before and it was hundreds of millions.

Soldato
The cost is for the recall, there hasn't been a fine yet.
It'll cost them that amount to put it right.
Tiss a strange thing to attempt on such a massive scale.

-this cheating sensor in the exhaust system seem to be limited to US models, is that correct?
I didn't realise the US cared at all for emission testing with their big engine beasts

Soldato
The US just has stupid regulations which has made diesel cars expensive to get into the country.

If it was so harmful I'm fairly certain other countries would have said something.

Stupid thing to do though by VW. You have to comply with the laws of the country.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I wonder how VW's emissions compare to those of the domestic manufacturers and their massive engines?

Within classes in which they compete engine sizes are about the same, as you'd expect. They don't do a Chevvy Malibu V8, most of them are 4 pots just like the equivalent Passat.

Even in the more upscale classes turbocharger 4 cylinder engines are very popular both in domestic and foreign brands.

You'd be amazed how big a thing fuel efficiency now is in the US.

Caporegime
Does anyone actually care, other than regulators?

People who need to breathe air probably care. If there are regulations on emissions then manufacturers should absolutely have to comply with them. VWs problem is that it seems like the device was designed to deliberately cheat in emission tests, rather than just being a faulty part that sometimes causes higher emissions than the official figures. That combined with it being a foreign marque makes me think a nasty fine will be coming their way.

Soldato
I think an £11b bill might make company's think twice... Massive costs. Not sure why it's so high I remember something similar happening before and it was hundreds of millions.

Full refunds I think.

$36k per car.

That's just the recall itself.

Soldato
Ah sorry, your post seemed like you were talking about diesels in general.

Ah ok. No I was referring to the differing emissions targets.

Although tbh I don't like seeing the black soot coming off diesel cars. So maybe the US has it right (although this is related NOx).

Man of Honour
Ah ok. No I was referring to the differing emissions targets.

Although tbh I don't like seeing the black soot coming off diesel cars. So maybe the US has it right (although this is related NOx).

You won't see black soot coming off diesel cars equipped with a DPF - which is most diesels sold in the last 8 years.

Plenty of smokey diesels in the US too, followed a Jetta TDI only yesterday :p Plus the entire truck fleet is diesel - the reason for a relative lack of diesels in the US is the low price of fuel, and despite what diesel fanboys say, economy is the driving force behind a diesel and when you can fill the tank in a quiet and refined petrol engined car for $45 why would you want a diesel?

Soldato
[TW]Fox;28584342 said:
You won't see black soot coming off diesel cars equipped with a DPF - which is most diesels sold in the last 8 years.

Really? I'll keep an eye out. I thought I did see newer cars leaving soot when accelerating from a standstill. Does the DPF have a maximum amount it can handle in any one time? I guess it's not so bad if it only happens under harsh acceleration.

Plenty of smokey diesels in the US too, followed a Jetta TDI only yesterday :p Plus the entire truck fleet is diesel - the reason for a relative lack of diesels in the US is the low price of fuel, and despite what diesel fanboys say, economy is the driving force behind a diesel and when you can fill the tank in a quiet and refined petrol engined car for $45 why would you want a diesel?

Whilst that's partly the explanation (difference in ¢/mile), but without more stringent emissions standards couldn't you argue that the mpg difference would be larger and hence have a larger difference in ¢/mile?

Presumably that is why VW have done this.

Soldato
People who need to breathe air probably care.

Yeah, because relatively these VW's are SO polluting compared to most Yank trucks ? :rolleyes:

And as if it makes a noticeable difference for the air quality.

VW took a gamble and got caught, nothing more nothing less.

The whole fuel economy of VAG cars is a scam anyhow, the Octy Greenline should do 3.2l/100km, well, I manage to do 5-6.5l/100km on average depending on my driving style. To do below 5 you can't even drive faster than 70mph.

Man of Honour
Really? I'll keep an eye out. I thought I did see newer cars leaving soot when accelerating from a standstill. Does the DPF have a maximum amount it can handle in any one time? I guess it's not so bad if it only happens under harsh acceleration.

You should never see smoke from a modern diesel unless it's been modified or is defective.

Whilst that's partly the explanation (difference in ¢/mile), but without more stringent emissions standards couldn't you argue that the mpg difference would be larger and hence have a larger difference in ¢/mile?

Presumably that is why VW have done this.

I don't know why we are focused on diesel - the vast majority of VW's in the USA are petrol. Looking at the list of affected cars I don't even think they offer the Beetle with a diesel.

Soldato
The defeat device is on diesel cars. The 500k cars refer to basically all the diesel cars they have sold.

http://www.theguardian.com/business...a-investigate-volkswagen-clean-air-violations

The EPA accused Volkswagen of using the device in 482,000 four-cyclinder Volkswagen and Audi diesel cars in the US since 2008. VW must recall all the cars, remove the defeat device and improve the cars’ NOx emissions, which creates smog and has been linked to increased asthma attacks and other respiratory illnesses.

edit:

Also the Guardian suggests the $18bn is actually the amount they can get as a fine. So my previous guess was wrong.

The EPA said Volkswagen could face other action and fines for the alleged breach of the Clean Air Act. The maximum fine for violations of the act is $37,500 per vehicle, which works out to a maximum possible fine as high as $18bn.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom