Volkswagen cheats emissions tests!

Soldato
They will try a "miss-sold case" as there are no legal grounds for any other attack on VW, however they will fail, as there was enough small print covering VW in cases like the ones trying to be brought against them in the UK.

The US cases were completely different and regulations etc are completely different over there.

If it was so easy under EU and/or UK law to prosecute VW, the government would have brought them up against charges way before now, as soon as the US courts brought cases.

is there a good article that describes how the US laws were/are structured differently ?

maybe the legal cases could be directed against the eu parties who knowingly voted (with self-interest in the auto manufacturers) to pass the flawed european laws "turkeys not voting for christmas", or more likely, the mep's(?) were unable to understand the implications,
and power, should be placed in the hands of a technical meritocracy, as has been suggested in similar domains (global warming)

Soldato
In the US, the Department of Justice sued VW and made sure they punished them severely as a lesson to all. The regulatory fines were likely far smaller than they could have been because they strong armed VW into a very generous compensation arrangement for VW owners. Corporate penalties in the US are generally far stronger.

The judge with the suit in the UK is not there to punish anyone, but to come to a fair arrangement for any demonstrable losses incurred.

Soldato
Thanks, just read this too (international council on clean transportation)
VW defeat devices: A comparison of U.S. and EU required fixes
which indeed concurs that USA has a unified response with more rigorous demands for the fix integrity and post-fix testing, which the European's were unable to match, setting no kind of president for compensation
terminating in
The key is for the EU to move beyond just improving its in-use testing. It is even more important to clarify which agency has the power to conduct enforcement and to establish mandatory consequences if manufacturers fail to comply with the defeat-device requirements

watched the first one , thought it was largely bragging about ability to reverse engineer the defeat devices (like the complict guy who reverse engineed the NHS ransomware)
but the control code characteristics are not so different versus other industrial domains with a mathematical piecewise model based on observation of the device behaviour. (electrically modleling the behaviour of a transistor say)

As a result of the legal proceedings has the real code (& comments) not been put before the USA and EU authorities even if it is not in the publiuc domain.

Soldato
Good. Hateful company. I won't be buying another VAG car because of this. They ruined my Golf with the emissions update, and fail to accept it's dangerous, I'm left driving a gimped unresponsive car. Might take it for a remap sometime soon actually.

Permabanned
Good. Hateful company. I won't be buying another VAG car because of this. They ruined my Golf with the emissions update, and fail to accept it's dangerous, I'm left driving a gimped unresponsive car. Might take it for a remap sometime soon actually.

Very drastic change in them, though. From the worst in the dieselgate, now one of the pioneers of the next-gen cars :eek:

Volkswagen Breaks Ground on Expansion for Electric Vehicle Production in United States
https://apnews.com/Business Wire/acc8f8b4987947ebb1df4c44a77094c5

As VW ID.3 production begins, Volkswagen bets it all on an electric future
https://www.slashgear.com/as-vw-id-...n-bets-it-all-on-an-electric-future-06598780/

Caporegime
Given that such giants like Mazda and Toyota have no a single electric offer, that from VW is still pretty good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electric_cars_currently_available

As I say, I think you need to look up the meaning of the word pioneer. Not counting earlier very limited runs GM started the push in the 90s. Tesla and Nissan were the true pioneers however with the Leaf and S nearly 10 years ago. Although around the same time Peugeot, Chevrolet, Mitsubishi, Renault and BMW started to release their options.

Infact, apart from Toyota and Mazda I can't think of another major manufacturer that doesn't have an electric vehicle.

Permabanned
As I say, I think you need to look up the meaning of the word pioneer. Not counting earlier very limited runs GM started the push in the 90s. Tesla and Nissan were the true pioneers however with the Leaf and S nearly 10 years ago. Although around the same time Peugeot, Chevrolet, Mitsubishi, Renault and BMW started to release their options.

Infact, apart from Toyota and Mazda I can't think of another major manufacturer that doesn't have an electric vehicle.

Maybe I should change it to pioneers in the mainstream market. Because for 10 years of market presence, those manufacturers haven't achieved anything yet to make the technology more popular.
They have 1 or 2 models each and their efforts have never been serious, me thinks.

This is about to change. Now.

Oh, and also Fiat/Alfa Romeo - 0 Alfas, and 1 poor Fiat electric model.

Caporegime
Maybe I should change it to pioneers in the mainstream market. Because for 10 years of market presence, those manufacturers haven't achieved anything yet to make the technology more popular.
They have 1 or 2 models each and their efforts have never been serious, me thinks.

This is about to change. Now.

Oh, and also Fiat/Alfa Romeo - 0 Alfas, and 1 poor Fiat electric model.

Fiat released the Elettra 25 years ago. Granted, it was also crap. I don't know how you can say the electric vehicles on offer today did nothing to make the tech more popular...there's been a consistent year on year rise in the number of electric vehicles bought in the UK both in terms of real numbers and as a percentage of the market.

Soldato
I can't see but have the pioneers (tesla/nissan) actually made money from their 10years of market presence, and has their learning given the industry a significant bootstrap, or, have necessary technology improvements happened in spite of them via other industries eg battery technolgy(via phones etc), aerodynamics(f1, improved simulation models), lighweight chassis construction(composites, aluminium); so, could ev evolution have actually been accelerated.

Back
Top Bottom