** NOW EVERYONE CAN ENJOY PCI-E NVMe/AHCI SSD's!! **

OcUK Staff
Hi there

I have manage to source the Asus Hyper PCI-E controller and I have then purchased all of Asus Europe stock making OcUK exclusive reseller in Europe of this incredible PCI-E card that is bootable in Windows 7, 8 and 10 for the new PCI-E SSD drives from Samsung, such as 951 and 950 series. :)

Asus Hyper M.2 X4 PCI-E Mini Adapter Card - Black PCB @ £19.99 inc VAT

HD032AS_117099_800x800.jpg

With a low-profile design that promotes the best-ever airflow to adjacent expansion cards, fit the PCI Express x4 add-in card to any slot that suits your PC build and pump M.2 performance up to a blistering 32Gbit/s — for unmatched performance. And upgrade without limitations, as any M.2 card between 30mm (2230) to full-length 110mm (22110) is supported.

ASUS Hyper M.2 x4 Mini pairs instantly ASUS Hyper Kit*, giving you the freedom to fit next-generation 2.5-inch NVM Express SSDs for ultimate data-transfer speeds of up to 32Gbit/s.

Features:-
- Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 bootable
- Compatible with Samsung SM951/950 AHCI & NVMe SSD's including boot function

Only £19.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Samsung PCI-E AHCI/NVMe SSD Range - Click Here!

So all of those of you out there who don't own the latest Z170 or X99 chipset but really want one of the latest insanely fast M.2 PCI-E SSD's can now actually buy one and boot from it in Windows, you just need the above Asus Hyper Card. :)

Soldato
I've read the 950pro has it's own option rom like the Intel 750s meaning it's compatible with x79. Have you found this to be the case Gibbo? If you want a Guinea pig, my R4F is ready and waiting...

Last edited:
Soldato
I was thinking of swapping out my laptop's SSD with the 256 GB one currently in my desktop, which'd of course require a new SSD for my desktop. The Samsung EVOs have been under £100 for 512 GB recently so I was considering that, but if this device works with good performance on X58 I might take the plunge on an M.2 NVMe SSD instead, assuming OcUK sells the other part needed for NVMe compatibility of course. Tempting...

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok so I've got my 950pro and Asus card in my Rampage IV Formula and without any changes in the bios, the bios can see it as drive N1. Will try to install win 10 later tonight.

Soldato
Might be good to get some user reviews in the wild Gibbo?

It works there you go :)

OK a comparison between my 128GB NVMe drive in a 10gb limited motherboard M.2 interface and a 512GB NVMe drive in one of these HBA cards in a 4x PCIE 3.0 slot.

128GB SM951 in an M.2 10gb socket.

512 GB SM951 in an X99 PCIE slot.

As I have the figures here's the SATA RAID 0 I had before (2 x 256GB)

I've also read it may be worth enabling this option under the drive settings in Devide Manager to stop write performance slowing up under Windows.

These are benchmark figures remember, real world performance is at least as good as the best SATA SSDs but not night and day in typical use. I prefer the format especially with no cables. Oh and they only need steady airflow to stay cool don't listen to the scare mongering on the net about temps and throttling! If you are constantly hammering the drive then just stick a heat sink on the controller chip.

128GB SM951 NVMe drive temps while benchmarking. No heat sink just happens I have a large case fan blowing over my motherboard.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok 950pro installed and booting on x79!!! I'll post crystal disk mark benches when I have time. Samsungs own benchmark shows 2300 read vs 950 write on my 256gb model.

Soldato
It should work OK so long as you're not using SLI/CF otherwise you start to limit PCIE lanes. You may not be able to boot from it though unless there's a BIOS update avalable.

Last edited:
Associate
would i limit pcie lanes on x79 with sli 2 x 980ti's

all we need now are nvme ssd's at a decent price as they are almost twice as expensive as normal ssd's of the same size,

Last edited:
Soldato
would i limit pcie lanes on x79 with sli 2 x 980ti's

all we need now are nvme ssd's at a decent price as they are almost twice as expensive as normal ssd's of the same size,

depends on which slot you put it in, and how your motherboard divides up lanes.

mine's in my 2nd 3x16. if i add a third cpu it would knock the 2nd slot to 3x8, but if you have 3x4 slot you should be ok. x79 has 3x40 lanes in total

Soldato
It should work OK so long as you're not using SLI/CF otherwise you start to limit PCIE lanes. You may not be able to boot from it though unless there's a BIOS update avalable.

Actually it's the NVMe drives that might not work but an AHCI device should work but it's worth Googling that certainly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Im on a z87 Gigabyte OC board and want to set up a PCIe SSD to boot from.

What would be the procedure if i wanted to do this without a fresh install?

Can i treat it more or less the same as a normal SSD? Make a copy of my current drive on the PCIe SSD and just boot from it or will I need to mess about with anything?

I had a search around to see if this thing will plug and play nice with my board but couldn't find any reviews from people with my board. Am i going to have to choose a drive with similar storage as my current SSD, or should it not matter when cloning to this drive?

Also, any recommendations on a 256gb drive to pair with this adapter? Not sure if it makes a difference if i want to clone my current AHCI SSD drive and would still like to use it as a secondary drive and am not sure if my motherboard will support booting from an NMVe drive with this adapter or whether it will but wont allow me to use an AHCI SSD as a secondary drive for one reason or another.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom