** NOW EVERYONE CAN ENJOY PCI-E NVMe/AHCI SSD's!! **

Soldato
Having installed the Samsung NVMe drivers, Samsung Magician 4.9 is giving me a lot more SMART info for my Samsung 951 512GB.

But what I find disturbing is that it also reports that the Asus Hyper PCI-e adapter is running at 10 Gb/sec (i.e. maximum speed of ~1250MB/sec) while in PCI-e slot 3 (moving away from CPU socket), the maximum possible.

Yet the performance test (only thing un-greyed in Magician) is reporting ~2200/1500MB/sec speed.

Edit: "ASUS Hyper M.2 x4 Mini pairs instantly ASUS Hyper Kit*, giving you the freedom to fit next-generation 2.5-inch NVM Express SSDs for ultimate data-transfer speeds of up to 32Gbit/s."

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-hyper-m.2-x4-pci-e-mini-adapter-card-black-pcb-hd-032-as.html

And here's the "Hyper kit" which retails for ~£20...
https://www.asus.com/Motherboard-Accessories/Hyper_Kit/

I am currently thinking that the Hyper Mini being sold on OCuk is not capable of "turbo" m.2 speeds, that I and others have spent ~£20 on this Mini for no speed benefit over what we have on our motherboards (my Gaming 5P has a 10Gb/sec m.2 socket).

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Am I using the wrong PCI-e socket on my Gaming 5P to get 32Gb/sec (upto ~4000MB/sec)?

Last edited:
Soldato
UT my 950pro does the same in magician. I just assumed it was a bug. Magician and other disk benchmarks read 2200/900 for my 256 version and so they seemed about right for using pci-e express slots

Soldato
Trying to get a definitive answer here, I have the following:-

Asus Maximus IV Hero
2x GTX770

I want one of these and the 512GB SSD to replace a couple of 256GB 840s in RAID-0 that are approaching 4 years old. Will the GPU slots drop to x8 if I fit the above? I dont care about losing the x1 slots as I doubt I'll ever have anything in them.

Soldato
I dont think so since the last black slot has separate lanes i believe much like my Gigabyte OC board. It runs at PCIe 2.0 x 4 though regardless of whether the other slots are populated or not.

Back
Top Bottom