• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX480 4GB can be flashed to 8GB version.

Soldato
This might be interesting to some,

All current 4GB cards actually have 8GB but 4GB is disabled in BIOS.

Meaning you could pick up the 4GB card today and flash it to the 8GB version with the BIOS flash software.

Source - http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-rx-480-4gb-versus-radeon-rx-480-8gb_183576

All of the AMD Radeon RX 480 at-launch graphics cards have shipped with 8GB of memory on them. That means if you run out and buy a 4GB card this very second it really does have 8GB of memory on the card. AMD disabled it through a special vBIOS and also lowered the clock speed of the memory on the 4GB cards.

Soldato
OP
It was only applicable to review cards so they could test the 8GB as 4GB with a bios flash, confirmed by AMD.

All of the AMD Radeon RX 480 at-launch graphics cards have shipped with 8GB of memory on them. That means if you run out and buy a 4GB card this very second it really does have 8GB of memory on the card. AMD disabled it through a special vBIOS and also lowered the clock speed of the memory on the 4GB cards.

Has that been stated since this article? I must be late to the party :p

Soldato
Wonder how many 4GBs they sold to people who remembered the 290 unlock and the early birds getting the worm... :D

I might be wrong, but I looked under the hood of my 4GB card and there looks like there might be 8GB there.

What's the part # on the RAM modules?

Associate
rx480_zpsmwzqzlz6.jpg

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately Atiflash doesn't recognise the card. Looks like the reviewers had a special tool from AMD.

Link

Won't be long until updated BIOS flash gets released.

My 4GB Sapphire card coming next week, will try this as soon as new BIOS flash software lands :p. According to source all current shipping 4GB cards actually have the full 8GB, but half of it is not visible only due to BIOS. AMD might want to play this down as it could hurt 8GB sales lol.

Back
Top Bottom