0 to 100 Miles in 100 Days

Soldato
For long rides, Ive just used Sudocrem and slathered it on the inside of the pad on your shorts. Feels a bit gross when you put them on but it warms up quickly enough and you forget all about it or you can put it directly onto your undercarriage
Should avoid Sudocrem as it doesn't allow water to pass through it so when you sweat it doesn't go anywhere and thus can cause worse problems that just having nothing there. I know this from experience.

Soldato
Should avoid Sudocrem as it doesn't allow water to pass through it so when you sweat it doesn't go anywhere and thus can cause worse problems that just having nothing there. I know this from experience.

Didn’t know that thanks. That said, I’ve never had any issues and have done 1000s of miles using it, maybe I don’t suffer from Betty Swollocks :p

Soldato
OP
I actually got encouraged to buy some Bum Butter which is absolute nonesense at £20 for a tiny tub but theoretically is made for the job.

Starting to feel a cold coming on which is annoying...

Soldato
OP
Almost there boys. I have:

2x padded shorts
2x regular shorts
nike SB waterproof joggers (if it rains)
nike wind breaker/waterproof
2x thermal/base layers (plus 2 spare that I'll return if not required)
padded seat cover

to pack:
snacks
gloves

I5cvszJ.jpg

And best of all, the transport I'll be taking...

XY1jnMU.jpg

Soldato
Any bum bread and bum sausages to go with the bum butter?

I suppose technicay speaking you already have the sasauge there.

This does sound like a pretty hardcore endeavour. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Leg one done boys, not sure this is entirely accurate but it's all I had tracking me:

MieEprt.jpeg

93km iirc (y). Had a hot bath (bad idea?) And just scoffing now. I'll share the story about the bike allocation debacle when I have more stamina but it's quite funny :cry:

Soldato
OP
Right chaps... brief story for those interested.

Thurs:
* 0740 - left to drop my daughter off at child minder
* 0805 - man comes to start driveway project (and asks lots of difficult questions!)
* 0807 - taxi arrives to take me to an M1 junction
* 0835 - jump in the M3 CSL (this thing is the nuts)

sHsgEQ2.jpg

* 1030 - quick shift at client site
* 1500 - hit the road to the Dales

</non cycling chat>

* 1800 - get assigned a ******* mountain bike. Like a proper Trek low PSI rock crawling thing. Fuming.
* 2000 - dinner
* 2005 - start to Gumtree for a road bike
* 2007 - find the only road bike available, grab the boss and his M3 CSL
* 2100 - arrive Lancaster - ask boss for money as I had forgot my debit card

</career limiting decisions>

My beauty! £140 beer tokens for a desperate student. This baby has carbon forks!

pB36icG.jpg

Fri:
* 0700 - gale force winds and torrential rain
* 0730 - departure
* 0745 - get mad at crappy water bottle holder and ask colleague to hold bottle for me
* 0747 - lose colleague with my water bottle
* 0930 - first puncture, same boss who has basically been my surrogate father provides me with a spare inner tube
* 0934 - lose mobile phone.....FML. Back track 2km and find phone, result!

<pain and suffering>

* 1230ish - hit lunch stop, SHEER nut that holds seat on...........FML!
* 1330 - after running about 5km to every shop in town, I find a legend of a bike shop who hasn't yet opened his workshop - despite that he walks me up the road to his unit and finds me a nut!
* 1400ish - back on the road

<pain and suffering>

Summary (no proper tracking data unfortunately):
+ 63 miles (at least)
+ 1749 ft elevation / - 148ft (hills were killer)

Saturday:
* Much more chilled, very flat.
* Only major event was the Irish lads realising they had no way home so I rented a one way van drop off and got them to the airport with their bikes, and heading on home with my new bike.

Summary:
+ 35.7 mile (at least)
+ 489ft elevation

Executive Summary:
Cycling isn't for me.

Thank you all for the advice and support! Almost £20k raised for BRC and Barnados so far.

Soldato
OP
Mate if I’d known you were starting from Lancaster you could’ve borrowed mine!
You're joking!! If only I'd clocked you were local! To be fair I abused that thing with my ignorance of the sport (and I am pleased with my purchase as it a epic entry level road bike for me to get into!). I did really enjoy the road biking tbf - night and day compared to my hybrid!

Wow, you really were 'that guy' :cry:
Haha I did think that... however, one lad broke his arm and 3 ribs by not paying attention at a junction and slamming the front brake on!

Surely this isn't correct? I've got 53 rides of that distance or more and the lowest elevation is 2,434 ft? Is it meters perhaps?

Well done though.
I may not have interpreted that measure correctly - Komoot says:

Uphill: 1,120m
Downhill: 1,020m
Highest Point: 440m
Lowest Point: 50m

Thanks! Chuffed I made it. I don't think I'd have managed on a mountain bike.

Soldato
Yeah sounds more sensible. Glad you made it round, and shows what often we can be a bit over cautious and people can do fairly impressive things if they put their mind to it without masses of preparation.

Maybe this is the start of more regular cycling though if you enjoyed the road bike a little more?

Soldato
Maybe this is the start of more regular cycling though if you enjoyed the road bike a little more?

I'm guessing not from the executive summary. However looking at the bike, I suspect having a familiar and better setup one would do wonders for the enjoyment and likelihood of wanting to stick with it. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy doing so many miles on the bike shown above as it looks to be a small frame made to fit with a long stem. And then has the seat pointing upwards and far too much padding which will cause rubbing.

Back
Top Bottom