0culusness - old oculus software.

Soldato
OP
Yes I tried that one, but I'm only getting an empty grey area when I run it. (Possibly the installed version adds something to the folder that isn't in the zip?)

Here you go chap... https://mab.to/E2Ul4XIr5 the link will only last a couple of days. I've put the old oculus avatar editor in as well so you can pew,pew at koy carp or create fireworks when you shoot at the sky.

Soldato
OP
Many thanks for the quick upload :) I never tried the avatar editor - so thanks for that too! The version you uploaded is about 4 times the size of the one from the link in the video comments, so that is probably why that one doesn't work.

When I start it up, I get the room with the fireplace, do you know how I can switch to the deck one with the radio and pond?

you need to plonk the folder on your desktop or in the oculus software folder and go into the folder and click on the oculusVR application. Give it a moment to load and you'll be by the pool listening to jazz in no time.

Soldato
OP
Many thanks for the quick upload :) I never tried the avatar editor - so thanks for that too! The version you uploaded is about 4 times the size of the one from the link in the video comments, so that is probably why that one doesn't work.

When I start it up, I get the room with the fireplace, do you know how I can switch to the deck one with the radio and pond?

What headset are you using? and are you 'the box?' saves me responding twice.

Soldato
OP
the file I sent is only the deck one, so you should start in your fireplace home room and then select the oculus home (deck) as an app/game to run in your headset.

Soldato
OP
I think both environments are in the same folder somehow, I don't have the fireplace one installed anywhere else. The pages I've found so far say you need to select the environments button in the menu (which isn't there in the standalone version). I imagine there is a setting somewhere, maybe in the registry, and the last environment I used way back when was this one or this is the default and the last one you used was the Deck one.

Strange, i just tried the one i sent you and after clicking on the orange glowing tabs in the taskbar, I ended up strait in the pool area.

Having said that, how old is your oculus installation on your PC? I recently had to install a fresh version which runs the pool version straight away.

Soldato
OP
OK the registry key was pretty easy to find - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Oculus\Home
There is a setting called EnvironmentIndex - 0= fireplace room, 1= deck
There are some other settings which look interesting like RUG_STATE - maybe you can remove that annoying fold lol

Many thanks for the files and help, I'm gonna listen to some jazz now lol

Fantastic! looking forward to some videos of the pool scene. If jazz is not your thing then you can select another station. While you're making the pot plants jump.
Watch out for the blimp and the comet.

Soldato
OP
By the way, how did you interact with the plants and radio? I know the hands and pointers are invisible, but I'm not getting anything even when pointing in the right direction

It's literally just trial and error. Keep pointing at the radio or the plants but move your hand/hand controller to either side. You'll accidently find the aiming point even though you can't see your hands.

Soldato
OP
I think it's the first finger trigger. Again, waiving it around in the vicinity or slightly to the right of the tuning knob will get it to change channel.

Soldato
OP
I don't really do videos, but we'll see ;)
Fun fact, if you rename the exe "Home2-Win64-Shipping.exe" and the _Data folder "Home2-Win64-Shipping_Data" and switch them with the contents of "..Support\oculus-worlds\Home2\Binaries\Win64" - oculus boots up with the old home, laser pointer and all. Unfortunately the pointer wont interact with the environment, and when you close the dash, it becomes invisible again. If only there was a way to make it visible in the standalone.

It's just nice to see the old place getting some use :)

Soldato
OP
Nice work. I'm going to be looking at the old home again tonight. Jazz club here we come.
50742439333_1cc9762364_o_d.gif

Soldato
OP
Many thanks for all the files, and for taking the time to upload them :)

I had a look at the avatar creator, and I remember it now. I think I had only tried it once originally to set up a very quick avatar and then got distracted by everything else there was to try. I can now shoot at the pond and set off fireworks again lol.

You can do that already if you follow my renaming/moving instructions in post 58, the rest of Oculus seems to be happy with this and works normally. The only downside is that you can't seem to interact with the radio or plants with the dash showing and the pointer disappears again with the dash off.

I think it would be possible to install the older version instead of the newer one, but I think it might break things in newer games, I remember reading something about Home 2.0 relying on Core 2.0, so anything else that does won't work with Core 1. I'll carry on trying frankenstein mixes of the two though to see if I can get the best of both worlds. If I have any positive results, I'll post them here :)

just one question. How did you find the obscure video in the first place?

Soldato
OP
By the way, did you say you have a backup of the actual installed files? If so, have you tried running oculus-client to see if it opens up the old home with old menu and pointers (you'll need to close the existing client first)? I tried running it from the zip but it just closes instantly - so it probably isn't finding the files it needs in the right place.

EDIT: I tried extracting each to a separate file and switching the overall folder with the oculus Support one, the client starts up but doesn't activate the headset. It also adds every background app on my pc as "now playing" and if you start a VR app (I tried google earth) it starts to open up but then closes quickly, probably because it can't find the headset.

Unfortunately, the install became corrupted when I switched the drive to another PC to transfer files over. Gutted!

Soldato
OP
I tried installing from your files on a VM but it does the same as the smaller one, needing an internet connection and downloading the latest version.

I tried installing it but using wayback machine to get to an older oculus install process. It didn't work, but I may have been doing it wrong.

Back
Top Bottom