1.6Gbps BB - Is it overkill?

Soldato
You can do that at 1Gbps or below, as long as you use common sense (i.e. don't try and download at full Gigabit speed whilst someone's gaming online) or apply traffic shaping (e.g. Cake or FQ_Codel), or apply bandwidth limitation (either globally via the router, unintentionally via Wifi speed being lower than internet connection speed, or artificially via e.g. Steam bandwidth limit)

I know, I used to limit my routers wifi speed so others in the house couldn't affect my gaming. But now the connection is so fast that no one person can saturate it, can have multiple people trying to download as fast as they can and I can still game with no issues

Last edited:
Soldato
As for recommendations, from the major providers I would consider BT, Zen and maybe EE. Really the only differentiator will be customer service if you get problems with your connection. They are probably quite similar in this regard, Zen might be marginally better but they're usually more expensive.

Man of Honour
I know, I used to limit my routers wifi speed so others in the house couldn't affect my gaming. But now the connection is so fast that no one person can saturate it, can have multiple people trying to download as fast as they can and I can still game with no issues
You don't need 1.6 Gbps to achieve that, it can be done on lower speeds. That was the point being made.

Man of Honour
As for recommendations, from the major providers I would consider BT, Zen and maybe EE. Really the only differentiator will be customer service if you get problems with your connection. They are probably quite similar in this regard, Zen might be marginally better but they're usually more expensive.
Zen have gone downhill both CS wise and network wise, personally I wouldn't use them. With that said, CS wise is still going to be better than TalkTalk and BT.

Soldato
Zen have gone downhill both CS wise and network wise, personally I wouldn't use them. With that said, CS wise is still going to be better than TalkTalk and BT.
I am still with Zen and last time I had to contact sales the experience was ok but they were a little slow getting back to me, the customer service and tech support were fine. I have been with Zen for probably 16+ years. I think back in the day, 10 plus years ago, they were excellent, as a small and growing company. Now, they probably aren't that different from BT levels of customer service.

Soldato
I have 2g/1g and love it.

I like the fact I can use online storage almost as easily as offline storage... Transferring files back and forth is almost like just moving stuff between hard drives.

It's also nice to press 'download' and have whatever it is pretty much right away

Reactions: KIA
Associate
I have 2gig download/upload for £49.99. I download via servers which allow speeds up to 2.5gig so I always download things I need at 250mb/s. Steam is slightly less due to CPU limitation. My PC has a 2.5gbe port so for £49.99 I felt like it was good value. No regrets here.

Associate
I got 900 ftp recently and I might drop down to 500 at renewal time depending on deals. There's just me here and it's overkill for my uses.
The Steam download speed is nice but my older PC with a 12400 and sata SSD can't keep up and tops out at about 100MB/s. The newer one sits at about 115.
Most other services seem to struggle to hit that.
My phone and laptop top out at about 600Mbps at real world distances from the router.

Back
Top Bottom