• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1 week old 2080ti gone! Plz advise

Associate
No, they're not. There are cases of infant mortality with every card. I had it with my first Maxwell Titan.

In the past 15 years, I've only had to RMA one GPU. So if this kind of failure rate is now considered normal, especially out of the box, then something in this industry has definitely changed for the worse!

Soldato
Companies with the biggest market share have the most issues. There's probably more threads with failed Asus motherboards than any other brand of motherboard. Intel vulnerabilities, Apple phone issues, Samsung overheating, Nvidia 2080ti issues, Microsoft Windows... It's always the huge brands.

My first GPU was Nvida but that was back when 3DFX had the biggest share of the market. I swithed when Nvidia got big. The little guys put more effort into their products because they need to prove themselves while the big guys rest of their laurels because they're already king.

Last edited:
Associate
Companies with the biggest market share have the most issues. There's probably more threads with failed Asus motherboards than any other brand of motherboard. Intel vulnerabilities, Apple phone issues, Samsung overheating, Nvidia 2080ti issues, Microsoft Windows... It's always the huge brands.

My first GPU was Nvida but that was back when 3DFX had the biggest share of the market. I swithed when Nvidia got big. The little guys put more effort into their products because they need to prove themselves while the big guys rest of their laurels because they're already king.

Agreed. Personally, I dread the possibility of Nvidia becoming so dominant that they can effectively inflate prices sky high, and there won't be any other option but to buy from them. AMD really need to start challenging this trend towards dominance, and fast!

Soldato
At the time my new MSI 980ti died after a week. The replacement never went wrong for me.
My initial batch 2080ti died after a week. The replacement has been on 24 hours a day now for months without an issue.

It's the early adopters curse, you never know what you'll get

Few years ago, early adopters got iPhones that bend in their pockets and Samsung phone battery explodes in your face

**** happens, early adopters know the risk they take

The 2080ti's are fine now if you've got one from a newer batch

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Exactly. I think with everything, if there's a problem people will shout about it more than they would about how good it is. But when you have spent £1200 your going to shout even louder

Except for some reason this gen the people shouting the loudest aren’t even people that have bought one!

HRL

HRL

Soldato
They probably would have bought one, if the threat of failure wasn't so high. If you're spending that kind of money, it should work out of the box.

Most have, fortunately.

Turns out the OP’s 2080Ti also worked out of the box too.

Back
Top Bottom