10 Gbps

Soldato
I never said it would improve my gaming experience you’re putting words into my mouth, I only mentioned my games pc as if I had a laptop it wouldn’t support 10 Gbps with the built in network chipset. With my games PC I could plug in a 10 Gbps PCI-e card.

Of course. My mistake. I assumed that when you said

I wouldn’t mind plugging my games PC with a 10 Gbps network card into it over CAT 6 Ethernet giving me 10 Gbps over the 10 Gbps WAN port out to the Internet.

You thought there was some benefit to it, when actually there isn't.

And for your laptop, get one with USB C or Thunderbolt 3 connectivity. I've got a macBook Pro with a QNAP 10GbE LAN card connected via Thurnderbolt 3. I think it was about £170+VAT. And I can transfer files from the network storage at full line speed. Still no better for gaming though.

Soldato
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah the DKT Comega 10 Gbps WAN Gateway looks nice...
https://dktcomega.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/10G-CPE-2.png

Not many of the mainstream router makers have 10 Gbps WAN products out as far as I can see. This one doesn’t support WiFi and there’s a lot of home users who don’t know any better and would miss the WiFi.

The UniFi Dream Machine Pro and the Mikrotik RB4011 both support 10Gb WAN. Actually I think there are quite a few routers out at the moment with SFP+ WAN ports.

Soldato
OP
The UniFi Dream Machine Pro and the Mikrotik RB4011 both support 10Gb WAN. Actually I think there are quite a few routers out at the moment with SFP+ WAN ports.

Not quite mainstream names like ASUS, TP-Link and Netgear. I’d only heard of UniFi and Mikrotik after viewing these forums. Overclockers only sell ASUS, TP-Link and Ubiquiti

Soldato
Not quite mainstream names like ASUS, TP-Link and Netgear. I’d only heard of UniFi and Mikrotik after viewing these forums. Overclockers only sell ASUS, TP-Link and Ubiquiti

Perhaps look at who makes the UDM :D As stated, 10Gb is not at a consumer stage yet, therefore a consumer orientated seller doesn’t generally sell enterprise 10Gb hardware. If you want 10Gb you either need to buy non consumer grade kit, or build your own set-up.

Last edited:
Caporegime
And for your laptop, get one with USB C or Thunderbolt 3 connectivity. I've got a macBook Pro with a QNAP 10GbE LAN card connected via Thurnderbolt 3. I think it was about £170+VAT. And I can transfer files from the network storage at full line speed. Still no better for gaming though.

Can you do anything else meaningful with your computer whilst its transferring at full speed? Been a while since I tried but even 1Gbps makes an SSD and CPU go crazy on a laptop (albeit not tried on a recent MBP that has quite a fast SSD in it)! Full speed 10GbE would be able to transfer 1.2 Gigabytes per second, can you write to consumer grade SSDs (at the laptop/desktop end) at that speed, without some sort of RAID.

rp2000

Caporegime
The NVme drive in my "games" PC can read 2816 MB/s and write 2481 MB/s sequentially.

https://i.imgur.com/jkZJfXw.png

Just tested my NVme using the same tool and you're right! Confirmed results with the Samsung Magician software as well. Mine is a 960Evo I get half the write speed as you but same read speed, quite an old budget drive I guess.

I stand corrected, no bottleneck if using an NVme for 10GBe!

rp2000

Soldato
OP
I stand corrected, no bottleneck if using an NVme for 10GBe!

If using a laptop the bottleneck is likely to be the network interface unless you’re using one of those 10 Gbps plug in devices WJA96 alluded to. Even then unless you’re using a very modern laptop I think the bottleneck would be the 2.5” SATA SSD drive.

As far as I know there are no NVme drives that fit in a laptop so you’re left with slower 2.5” SATA SSD drives as there’s no PCI-E bus slots in a laptop.

The SSD speed becomes important if you can potentially download at 1.25 GB/s over a 10 Gbps connection.

Caporegime
Can you do anything else meaningful with your computer whilst its transferring at full speed? Been a while since I tried but even 1Gbps makes an SSD and CPU go crazy on a laptop (albeit not tried on a recent MBP that has quite a fast SSD in it)! Full speed 10GbE would be able to transfer 1.2 Gigabytes per second, can you write to consumer grade SSDs (at the laptop/desktop end) at that speed, without some sort of RAID.

A lot of laptop ethernet ports are either terrible Realtek things with bad drivers, or people are using with with poor quality USB adapters. It's not difficult to do a speed test of a faster connection and get a bad reading, and for it to have nothing to do with the ISP or the network.

Soldato
OP
As stated, 10Gb is not at a consumer stage yet

Indeed it’s not, especially when a 10 Gbps PCI-e network card costs £ 78.74 ex VAT. Then you have to figure in the cost of a new 10 Gbps ONT, a new 10 Gbps Gateway plus on site visit and installation costs.

There’s not much choice of gateways at the moment and the one I linked to above doesn’t support WiFi therefore it’s not aimed at the consumer. The so called big boys ASUS, TP-Link and Netgear don’t appear to have any 10 Gbps products out yet.

When it eventually does become available it will be in 10/5/2.5/1Gbps increments with 1 Gbps the bog standard. That will push down the price of 1 Gbps connections.

Soldato
Indeed it’s not, especially when a 10 Gbps PCI-e network card costs £ 78.74 ex VAT. Then you have to figure in the cost of a new 10 Gbps ONT, a new 10 Gbps Gateway plus on site visit and installation costs.

There’s not much choice of gateways at the moment and the one I linked to above doesn’t support WiFi therefore it’s not aimed at the consumer. The so called big boys ASUS, TP-Link and Netgear don’t appear to have any 10 Gbps products out yet.

When it eventually does become available it will be in 10/5/2.5/1Gbps increments with 1 Gbps the bog standard. That will push down the price of 1 Gbps connections.

I might be missing something. I was under the impression that Asus and Netgear had 10GbE products out;

Asus - https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/ROG-Rapture-GT-AX11000/

Netgear - https://www.netgear.com/gaming/xr700/

and TP-Link have a 2.5GbE unit with 10GbE in the pipeline.

TP-Link - https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-ax11000/

When I updated my own PC recently I picked the ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate as the basis - because even at £270 it has a 10GbE RJ45 port.

Soldato
OP
I might be missing something. I was under the impression that Asus and Netgear had 10GbE products out

I stand corrected you are obviously a router enthusiast and know a lot more about what is on the market than I do.

The ASUS GT-AX11000 ROG Rapture is £ 316.66 ex VAT. The NETGEAR XR700-100EUS Nighthawk Pro Gaming is £ 387.70 ex VAT and the TP-Link AX11000 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 Gaming Router Archer is £ 342.48 ex VAT

None of which are cheap. I paid just £ 66.66 ex VAT for my current Netgear R6800 AC 1900 router.

Soldato
I stand corrected you are obviously a router enthusiast and know a lot more about what is on the market than I do.

The ASUS GT-AX11000 ROG Rapture is £ 316.66 ex VAT. The NETGEAR XR700-100EUS Nighthawk Pro Gaming is £ 387.70 ex VAT and the TP-Link AX11000 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 Gaming Router Archer is £ 342.48 ex VAT

None of which are cheap. I paid just £ 66.66 ex VAT for my current Netgear R6800 AC 1900 router.

Knowledge makes for informed decisions. Cheap is relative. If you NEED to render graphics fast, then a £50,000 Apple Mac Pro will pay for itself in a few weeks.

If I wait for file transfers that's time and time is money. In the same way that people will pay four-figures for a 2080Ti graphics card, I have no issue paying for the fastest networking equipment available (that I can afford).

A Netgear R6800 AC 1900 wouldn't meet my requirements and therefore no matter what the price it wouldn't be cheap.

Soldato
OP
One thing I’ve noticed is that these three routers you’ve linked to only support 2.5 Gbps WAN not 10 Gbps WAN like the one I linked to above. Do you know of any from mainstream manufacturers that offer 10 Gbps WAN.

Back
Top Bottom