£1000-1500 First road bike

Soldato
Still waiting after 6 weeks from ordering my cycle scheme voucher but I figure I should get some idea about what I want to buy.

At the moment I've got a Whyte Caledonian Hybrid, but I spend 95% of the time on the road. I borrowed a Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1 for a weekend and loved it, although I was looking to spend a little less.

Current shortlist is:
- Giant Defy Advanced 2
- Giant TCR Advanced 1
- Cube Agree GTC Race

It seems like the major difference is the racier geometries of the Cube and TCR as well as Disc brakes on the Advanced. I do wonder if I would find the Racier geometries that much more uncomfortable or if it's negligible.

Canyon / Rose offerings looked very nice, although as far as I know there's no way to get them through Cycle Scheme. Ribble looks okay, although a family friend said the quality is terrible and aftersales support even worse.

Which other bikes should I be considering?

Man of Honour
Do you care about mudguards? That will limit your options somewhat.

Personally I love discs + drops but there are some that don't. Any disc-brake equipped bike is likely to have less racey geometry so there's also that to consider.

Soldato
OP
Do you care about mudguards? That will limit your options somewhat.

Personally I love discs + drops but there are some that don't. Any disc-brake equipped bike is likely to have less racey geometry so there's also that to consider.

Not fussed about mudguards. I don't opt to go out in bad conditions, and if it turns out to be bad while I'm out so be it.

Soldato
What are you going to be doing on it? Racing at all? If not I would go with the more relaxed geometry of the Defy as a first road bike personally. Chances are you'll be much more comfortable straight away, which will mean you'll be more likely to want to ride it!

Man of Honour
I had to replace the rim tape on mine due to how shoddy it was. The cables were badly done and mostly missing end caps. Brakes were set up badly too. The rest was okay I guess.

It wasn't awful but it wasn't amazing either.

Soldato
OP
What are you going to be doing on it? Racing at all? If not I would go with the more relaxed geometry of the Defy as a first road bike personally. Chances are you'll be much more comfortable straight away, which will mean you'll be more likely to want to ride it!

Most of the time I go for a couple of hours 30-40 miles with the occasional weekend 60 miles. No racing planned as yet, although I do have a great tendency to try go as fast as possible...

Almost forgot Merida!, The 500 with Ultegra is fantastic value.

Merida Reacto 400 £1150

Merida Reacto 500 £1300

What advantages/disadvantages am I going to see from the aero style?

Soldato
although I do have a great tendency to try go as fast as possible...

What advantages/disadvantages am I going to see from the aero style?

You'll go even quicker and make a lovely noise cutting through the air. There's also the aesthetic consideration. Some love the look others not. Downside, crosswinds are much less fun...

Last edited:
Soldato
I just ordered a Rose Xeon RS-4400,
Must admit its very good value for money, Looks like I'm in for a wait but the spec is very good.
Frame is aluminium and very light, All reviews say its very stiff as well but quit compliant.
Full Sram force 22 with red 22 brakes for £1550

I paid for it on a 0% purchases card too.

But yeah if you are dead set on a cycle to work one then its a non mover.

The Viner Mitus bike on Planet X is supposedly very good and has CHORUS :O

I wanted Aluminium and compact cranks myself though

Back
Top Bottom