£1000 Ultrawide Monitor

Soldato
Wasn't sure where to put this. Got the AW3418DW, first time I've used it at night and I've noticed this:

Ns2MBkI.jpg

Is that just IPS glow or BLB in the bottom left? To the eye, it seems to take up most of the bottom left corner and is quite noticable. Not sure if it's RMA worthy though?

Edit: All black screen. Not the best of pics and the camera is perhaps making it look worse but can definitely see the orange glow.

sdcI44g.jpg

I have two of them.

Both have similar BLB issues.

Associate
I have two of them.

Both have similar BLB issues.
I've started a "service request" with Dell. If it was just a bit in the corners like on the right hand side, I'd just live with it. The bottom left just seems a bit excessive though. Hopefully a replacement will be better.

Soldato
Always worth pannel lottery
I've started a "service request" with Dell. If it was just a bit in the corners like on the right hand side, I'd just live with it. The bottom left just seems a bit excessive though. Hopefully a replacement will be better.

Soldato
My Alienware DW also has BLB most prominent in the bottom left. All of them do to varying degrees. I’ve accepted it as I rarely watch anything where I can see it and the rest of the display makes up for it.
Yup. I think blb in corners is not as much of an issue on ultrawides due to the sheer width.

Still not great but the panel guarantee is ace.

Soldato
Running a LG 34GK950F (get the F, its better than the G)

And its frikkin glorious. thinking of buying 2 more infact.

I'm looking at possibly getting this monitor, can I confirm it works with g-sync (on a 2070 super)? As googling says yes but it's not down as an officially compatible monitor and I just rung in to OC and they said no.

Sgarrista
Commissario
I'm looking at possibly getting this monitor, can I confirm it works with g-sync (on a 2070 super)? As googling says yes but it's not down as an officially compatible monitor and I just rung in to OC and they said no.

Yes as long as you are running a setup that supports extended freesync

Soldato
Yes as long as you are running a setup that supports extended freesync

Which would include a 2070 super?

It's just I don't seem to be able to see a comparable monitor to this (3440 x 1440 @ 144 hz) with G-Sync as they all seem to be 120 or 100hz. Would that lower rate make that much of a difference?

Associate
I have been mulling over which monitor to get out of these.

Alienware AW3418DW £799
LG 34GK950F £899

I have a 2080TI currently on a Acer Predator 27HU1 Gsync monitor but fancy a change.

Which monitor would you recommend. Thanks for your help.

Associate

Thanks, just seen the Alienware AW3420DW now for £80 more than the LG and uses the same panel?

Would also get 3 year warranty with the Dell which is better than the LG offering.

Decision decisions.....

Associate
Thanks, just seen the Alienware AW3420DW now for £80 more than the LG and uses the same panel?

Would also get 3 year warranty with the Dell which is better than the LG offering.

Decision decisions.....
I'm in exactly the same position, ready to press the button. Also concerned giving up 2x 27" monitors will not be enough for me

Associate
Was so close to ordering the Dell but eventually caved and went for the LG based on JediFragger recommendations. Hopefully will turn up tomorrow. When ordering it said, order in the next 3 hours for Delivery tomorrow. Yet checking the order status its showing Mon-Fri Delivery? I have posted in the customer services for confirmation.

Associate

Decision decisions.....

If you speak to Dell customer support via the live chat and ask politely they give you an extra discount on the AW3420DW. So either with 3 years warranty for a bit cheaper than the LG, or 5 years warranty for about £980.

Associate
If you speak to Dell customer support via the live chat and ask politely they give you an extra discount on the AW3420DW. So either with 3 years warranty for a bit cheaper than the LG, or 5 years warranty for about £980.

I have, I had it in the basket for £980 but was worried as couldn't find any real good reviews. I went with the LG in the end, OCUK have upgraded me to Saturday delivery which is a bonus.

I found lots of positive reviews for the LG so hopefully I have made the right choice. The LG does come with 2 years warranty though so that should be enough.

I like the option of upgrading the firmware on the LG, not sure you can do this on the Dell. Also the extra 24hz, might not make a huge difference but it is not limited by the GSYNC module.

Associate
I have, I had it in the basket for £980 but was worried as couldn't find any real good reviews. I went with the LG in the end, OCUK have upgraded me to Saturday delivery which is a bonus.

Yeah fair play. I've been struggling with the exact same decision between the two for the last few weeks. Given that they're the same panel, i'm sure both will be excellent. For some the 5 year warranty will be worth more, for others the exta 24Hz is more valuable. Don't think there's a wrong choice to be fair (although i'm sure @aoaaron will disagree and make the case for OLED :p)

Back
Top Bottom