• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1070 and 1080TI = same frame rates :o

Soldato
Hurm I think we had q4d like q6600 ?

You're absolutely right. I remember playing Crysis on my first custom built PC - Q6600, P5WDH Deluxe motherboard and ATI HD2900 PRO. Not well, due to the graphics card being poor, but it played! It was also running a Hiper Type-R PSU, which tells you everything you need to know about how bad I was at choosing components then!

Soldato
You're absolutely right. I remember playing Crysis on my first custom built PC - Q6600, P5WDH Deluxe motherboard and ATI HD2900 PRO. Not well, due to the graphics card being poor, but it played! It was also running a Hiper Type-R PSU, which tells you everything you need to know about how bad I was at choosing components then!
Lucky sod! Most were slumming it with C2D's, think I had a E4300 and 8800GTS 320MB with a 1024x768 res :)

Associate
OP
So quick update:. DDU did nothing (i'm guessing simply as i had successfully removed the drivers before), and changing the res down to 1080p gets me 70fps average in crysis GPU benchmark, which defo shows there is a CPU/Memory bottle neck. Though i would assume going from 1080p to 4K would me solely on the 1080TI's shoulders of responsibility, so perhaps it's not entirely the CPU's fault for those missing 10 frames? Anyhow, going to try and do some overclocking and tweaks to see if I can improve that 70fps in 1080p and then re-bench at 4K.

Associate
OP
Apologies Confused Stu, completely missed your post with your Crysis benchmarks. Thanks v much for those, they are good goals for me to aim for :)

My 1080TI is just a FE one, so standard clocks. but last night with a little overclock to 4.2GHz and sticking the memory at their proper timings of 1600Mhz, I did manage to get to 69fps at 4K on same settings, so 10fps short of yours.

I then of course tried for an even higher overclock (primarily on memory as I have an inkling that it's more that than the CPU) and promptly borked my system. Depsite my motherboard normally being reasonably good at resetting itself from silly OC targets, it now doesn't seem to want to boot. oppsie. It was late last night when I got to that though, so i'm fairly confident I can fix it when i'm back from work.

In the mean time, I did find this lovely video from Digital Foundry, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbGT-u4i3EY which suggests that the CPU is indeed not the issue, assuming you can overclock it can combine it with some good speed ram. :)

In other news, before bricking my system, I did re-run VRMark having now turned off the silly power saving settings, and got a much more respectable 180fps

Caporegime
OP

Are you talking about Crysis released in 2007 or Crysis 3, released in 2013?

Crysis is limited because it's a 32bit executable and single threaded. I would imagine the 7740x CPU would be the best for that particular game.

Crysis 3 however can use lots of cores, and so something like the new 7900X will be better.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ya, it's Crysis 1 i'm referring to. It's my go to game to benchmark a new GPU :) I too started playing it with an 8800GTS, then went to a 260 (216 core version), then 660TI, and just recently purchased both a 1070 and 1080TI as need one of them for VR work (will send back which ever I don't use). So dug out the trusty original Crysis to do my bench. I've no idea how I had set my Desktop to use power saving mode, which was the initial problem for the poor frame rate. I'm now just at the point of wanting to see how much I can push my almost 5 year old rig. It's kind of sad how little CPU's have come on over the years. Though good in the sense that i've not had to buy a new system to frequently. :)

Associate
I had a 8800gtx running it at 1920x1200 on my dell 2405 monitor and was getting something like 20fps ....:( which went down to about 14fps in the snow level :D

That was back in 2007 :eek:
I remember it dominating my Q6600 C2Q and SLI 8600gt combo with 8gb ddr2 ram, bit demanding that game if you ask me

Associate
OP
Thanks, all. I've successfully managed to get just over 71fps on the 1080TI, and just over 50 with the 1070. With a 4.5Ghz clock on the ol' 3770K. I am now thinking it's primarily memory letting me down from getting the 79fps. Can't seem to shift that any higher than the 1600Mhz it's rated at. Am happy with that though. Well over 200fps on VR mark now on both cards. Yay.

Soldato
For reasons unknown to me - Crysis 1 always seems to start up with a 120 fov (vertical!) so it messes up any benchmark run. I can change it via console after load but that doesnt help me with benches. :p

Soldato
I had some issues getting it to run actually - worked fine with -dx9 launch option but to get proper DX10 mode I ended up having to install it on same drive as Steam (well cheating with sym links).

Back
Top Bottom