10gbit home network speed issues

Kei

Kei

Soldato
I've never fully seen 10Gbit on mine and it is always on windows I see speed issues. Changing to jumbo frames is not an ideal option as it will require packet fragmentation in order to access the internet and any other devices on your network which don't support it.

A loopback test will show what the cpu can handle as you are testing the network stack.

This is what I could get on linux.

Same test and hardware on windows could barely edge out 10Gbit. (Yes I tried NTTcp and multiple instances, all came out the same)

This is the best I could get out of mine during testing which is a shade over 7Gbit from a local NVME ssd to my server running 7x western digital SE hard disks in RAID 5. (Which is the limiting factor here)

Some good info can be found here for checks that you can do in powershell. Get-NetAdapterHardwareInfo will tell you the pcie version and link width that it is actually getting, which is quite useful.

Soldato
The desktop pc is connected to the negtear 10gb switch using a cat 8 cable thats 2m long and the ubuntu server desktop is also connected to the same switch using a CAT8 cable.

What is Cat 8 cable? You want Cat 6 cable that is NOT (edit) copper and copper-clad aluminium (CCA)

You should also try connecting the two 10 Gb NICs directly - you'll need to manually assign IP addresses & stuff - and measuring the speed you get that way.

Last edited:
Soldato
What is Cat 8 cable? You want Cat 6 cable that is copper and copper-clad aluminium (CCA)

You should also try connecting the two 10 Gb NICs directly - you'll need to manually assign IP addresses & stuff - and measuring the speed you get that way.
You definitely don't "want" CCA cable.

Soldato
I only get 6.4 Gb/s from my desktop to server (i.e. server running iperf -s, desktop running iperf -c...I assume that's the right way around) and 5.8 Gb/s the other way. Considering the server's NIC is restricted to 8 Gb/s raw that's not bad I guess.

Soldato
OP
What is Cat 8 cable? You want Cat 6 cable that is NOT (edit) copper and copper-clad aluminium (CCA)

I have some new cat 6a cables and i only get around 2gbit speeds still when performing that Loopback test between my windows desktop as a client and my ubuntu server .

i also checked the PCI E port slot on my ubunut server and it should not bottleneck the NIC.

i will double check the PCI E slot on my main desktop but should be ok as that motherboard is a Asus x99 Board

Man of Honour
It's a Windows thing (shock horror):

My desktop (Win 10) to/from Ubuntu (VM) = 1.5 Gbps
My desktop to/from QNAP = 3.4 Gbps
Server 2019 (VM) to/from Ubuntu = 4.6 Gbps
Server 2019 to/from QNAP = 4.5 Gbps
Ubuntu to/from QNAP = 9.4 Gbps
Server 2019 to/from Server 2019 (both VMs, same vSphere environment so internal networking) = 3.3 Gbps

I'll do some more testing but the only way I can get full speed is between Linux type boxes.

Above done with default iperf settings, I haven't changed window size.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I've never really had any problems with mine maxing out a 10Gb connection moving files about, I use CAT6 cabling end to end with Intel or Aquantia NICs which seem to work well.

1Zpjr9g.png

Back
Top Bottom