123reg arehaving a laugh!

Associate
I forgot to renew a domain with 123reg as I thought it was on automatic renew, and it expired and now they are telling me it'll be 5 days before they make it live again despite taking my money and processing renewal! they tell me its a new policy from the registrar but can't provide a link except to one of there own terms and conditions pages.
All my domains are definitely going to Tsohost now!!

Be warned if you have domains at 123reg make sure you renew them on time!!

Associate
If it auto renewed by default, I'm sure people still moan about renewing a domain when they no longer want. Can't keep everyone happy.

Soldato
it shows as auto renew on the control panel but didn't, check the t&c's it appears they can nick your domain if you don't renew it quick enough!
http://www.123-reg.co.uk/terms/expired-domains-terms.shtml

Itll go through several processes first.

Its about 90 days I believe before it goes back to market.

I'm waiting on one thats now expired, Owned by a dissolved LTD and it'll still be about 90 days. Keep checking everyday though. Not really up for paying snapnames $69 to do it for me.

Associate
OP
they can nab it themselves!
The customer acknowledges that 16 calendar days after the date of expiration 123-reg may at its sole discretion carry out the following actions:

Auction the domain name
Change the Contact Details
Transfer the domain name

If we do not receive the renewal fee within the 16 day period stipulated above 123-reg may at its discretion terminate the agreement and change ownership of the requested domain.
so the 90 day grace period that every other decent registrar gives is not given

Associate
OP
at one point they were at least cheap! I'm moving everything to TSOhost they might not be cheapest but there support is amazing and don't do cheap tricks like 123reg!

Soldato
As a domainer with a large portfolio of domains. I would recommend Namecheap. I've accidentally let domains lapse a few times and they will let you renew several weeks after they've expired w/ instant reactivation.

Soldato
I use Internet.bs for all my buying/renewals now, good prices and free WHOIS privacy. Although some of my .uk domains get the IPS tag changed to 123-Reg because their e-mail forwarding seems to work better. You have such control with .uk, no having to renew to transfer and it's done so fast.

Soldato
If it auto renewed by default, I'm sure people still moan about renewing a domain when they no longer want. Can't keep everyone happy.

This is what GoDaddy do, and threaten you with like a £80 fine if you don't renew it, only in the small print does it say the £80 fine is if you WANT the domain after its expired.

I no longer shop with GoDaddy.

Associate
Itll go through several processes first.

Its about 90 days I believe before it goes back to market.

I'm waiting on one thats now expired, Owned by a dissolved LTD and it'll still be about 90 days. Keep checking everyday though. Not really up for paying snapnames $69 to do it for me.

Yeah 90 days.

Same, hate waiting it out but there's no way I'd pay such a ridiculous price for any tld let alone a .com/.net/.org, I've had a .info slip and fee the registrar I was with at the time would have wanted like $90 lol

I no longer shop with GoDaddy.

I don't like a lot of things about the way they operate either but to be fair to them I've never had any issue getting a refund for a domain that auto-renewed that I didn't want and forgot to take off auto.

Last edited:

aln

aln

Associate
I imagine if your domain failed to autorenew it would have been because you didn't have any valid payment details. I probably shouldn't comment further as it's a previous employer of mine. :p

Associate
One thing to bear in mind. Never have your hosting and domain hosting with the same companies unless you have complete faith. There have been horror stories regarding hosting companies "blackmailing" using the domain names.

Soldato
One thing to bear in mind. Never have your hosting and domain hosting with the same companies unless you have complete faith. There have been horror stories regarding hosting companies "blackmailing" using the domain names.

This has been oft repeated since the dawn of hosting and domains. In all the stories I've seen the 'victim' has been wrong, and if a domain is really stolen rather than 'stolen' there are processes in place to recover it.

Associate
OP
yep it was my fault that it didn't auto renew as the card details were old, these things happen, my grumble is that they are being unreasonable in making me wait 5 days now until it goes live again despite having payment, and there new t&c's are well out of order in my opinion, not what a company of there standing should be doing!
They've always been rubbish but now they are being unreasonable and rubbish!

Associate
Hello,

I work here at 123-reg.

123-reg is now a direct registrar, accredited with all key registries. We are now moving our entire portfolio of domain names we hold for our customers into our control rather than using third parties. This will give our customers a better domain name management experience and allow us to offer a better support experience. To do this we need to transition domain names which does take about 5 days to complete. We are using the domain name renewal as a trigger for this.

When we auto renew domain names we are doing this 7 days prior to the expiration date to ensure that the transition can complete before the expiration date and avoid any down time. We will attempt to auto renew every domain name, however at times this does not happen. As with all internet based systems errors can occur, or we may not have been able to collect payment or any other reason. I cannot say why your domain name did not automatically renew from the details here.

The majority of customers will not see any effect caused by the transition and I do apologise for any inconvenience you have been caused by the transition.

If you wish to find out more about this transition please see the below guide:

http://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/answers/Domains/Domains-Explained/understanding-the-domain-transition-period-4263/

Regards,
Nerys

Soldato
Hello,

I work here at 123-reg.

123-reg is now a direct registrar, accredited with all key registries. We are now moving our entire portfolio of domain names we hold for our customers into our control rather than using third parties. This will give our customers a better domain name management experience and allow us to offer a better support experience. To do this we need to transition domain names which does take about 5 days to complete. We are using the domain name renewal as a trigger for this.

When we auto renew domain names we are doing this 7 days prior to the expiration date to ensure that the transition can complete before the expiration date and avoid any down time. We will attempt to auto renew every domain name, however at times this does not happen. As with all internet based systems errors can occur, or we may not have been able to collect payment or any other reason. I cannot say why your domain name did not automatically renew from the details here.

The majority of customers will not see any effect caused by the transition and I do apologise for any inconvenience you have been caused by the transition.

If you wish to find out more about this transition please see the below guide:

http://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/answers/Domains/Domains-Explained/understanding-the-domain-transition-period-4263/

Regards,
Nerys

Overclockers gets onto google searches really quick

Back
Top Bottom