125 recommendations?

Associate
Hi there all,

I have just passed my CBT and I have acquired adequate safety clothing for riding so i'm looking to get my own first geared bike.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I am a tall guy of 6ft3 so I am conscious of that when picking the right motorcycle. I have a budget of around £3k.

I will be using it for mainly leisure and occasional commuting during the summer, and as a stopgap before building confidence to do my full Bike license.

Thanks!

Caporegime
Similar boat to me, but I've done TONS of research on this subject. Firstly, don't spend more than £1.8k-ish on a 125. The lower the better provided you don't end up with a shed. I'd say £1.5k is a decent budget and put the rest towards your full license. 125s lose a ridiculous amount of value the second they leave the showroom but used ones tend to hold their value very well. For bikes, a 125 Varadero is the best bike for taller folks. It's discontinued but there are some minters out there. People know they're rare and wanted and the prices reflect this. Basic commuters are the YBR and CBF. Much of a muchness, the only advantage one has over the other is that the YBR has a little rack on the back, whereas the CBF looks a bit better (imo). The next step up is a CBR 125. This is the first "sporty" 125 (use that term loosely, as all 4 stroke 125s are effectively lawnmowers on 2 wheels). Sits a bit more upright than the others (R125, RS4, RC125, etc). An oddball is a Juke 125, extremely popular for good reason, it's very well equipped and looks the business. The "sporty" 125s engines can't cash the cheques that the looks write, so don't waste your time, they're all slow as hell and will top out at 60-ish, 70 on a downhill, tucked in with a tailwind and looking like an idiot.

Or just do what I would do and get a CBF125 for £1.3k and spend £1.7k on an Aprilia RS125 for that screaming 2 stroke goodness.

This video, which is also a very good vid to watch, highlights the difference between a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke:

Good luck :)

Soldato
Or just get a CBF for now and upgrade? Are you old enough to get your full A licence?

Varadero is a good idea if you want to keep it for a few years, but they can be expensive and quite rare for a decent one.

Associate
I'm 6"3 and my CBF125 has been serving me well for a month or so now. Will be selling it in the next couple of months once i've done my DAS.

Caporegime
Is it right that the plastics don't match the tank? I've seen a fair few for sale where they don't match and always assumed they'd been binned and the plastics replaced. Kind of put me off tbh.

Man of Honour
Don't forget if you go for a supermoto 125 you'll need to spend more on chains and padlocks than the bikes worth because they are a scrotes dream.

Associate
Is it right that the plastics don't match the tank? I've seen a fair few for sale where they don't match and always assumed they'd been binned and the plastics replaced. Kind of put me off tbh.

Nah thats the way they were made with contrasting plastics even its bigger brother is the same :)

I always thought it looked nicer that way rather than everything the same.

Caporegime
Ah wow, I wasn't aware of that! The amount I've looked at and thought they looked dodgy. I probably should've clicked that it was a bit odd that almost all of them look like that but then I'm a bit thick at the best of times so who knows.

Soldato
Varadero....engine is like a sewing machine but it's a 125!

Excellent bike for the larger rider and has the presence of a much larger CC bike on the road.

Caporegime
Groms* are pretty cool little things. Look great with a tail tidy too... Quite cheap second hand, nifty little things for filtering etc.

Watch a few of Royaljordanian's videos on the Grom on Youtube. :)

*(MSX125)

e; Just saw that you're 6'3", might look a bit strange on a Grom. :D

Back
Top Bottom