144hz... Why did I not upgrade sooner?

Associate
If you don't play FPS' that much is it that much of an upgrade? Worth if for third person adventure type games and older stuff?

Soldato
Fluidity

I have a 4K 60Hz monitor and would love to have higher frequency but they just didn't do them at 40" when I bought this a few years ago. I do miss my little 24" 120Hz monitor though as it was very fluid.

Then again I'd never get to 120Hz on 4K and I prefer the resolution for working on videos etc. but I would play at 1440p if the monitor could cope with more.. sadly it can't be overclocked past 62Hz without flipping out.

Soldato
I was thinking about this recently. I have a 4K 60hz screen and would never sacrifice resolution for hz.

I’ve never seen 120+ and whilst part of me wants to see it, the other part says don’t bother as it’s going to open my wallet up.

However, I have experience both bad and good 60fps. Assetto Corsa is a bit annoying to get really smooth despite a solid 60fps but other games like Resident Evil 7 I look at in 1440p 60fps and it’s gloriously smooth...so smooth that my brain can’t compute improvement even vs. Real life.

Far Cry 4 always felt like it could be smoother even at rock solid 60fps so I’m wondering whether 60fps is as bad as all you converts say.

30fps is unplayable for me so I do understand my own limit.

Soldato
I was thinking about this recently. I have a 4K 60hz screen and would never sacrifice resolution for hz.

I’ve never seen 120+ and whilst part of me wants to see it, the other part says don’t bother as it’s going to open my wallet up.

However, I have experience both bad and good 60fps. Assetto Corsa is a bit annoying to get really smooth despite a solid 60fps but other games like Resident Evil 7 I look at in 1440p 60fps and it’s gloriously smooth...so smooth that my brain can’t compute improvement even vs. Real life.

Far Cry 4 always felt like it could be smoother even at rock solid 60fps so I’m wondering whether 60fps is as bad as all you converts say.

30fps is unplayable for me so I do understand my own limit.

If your locked at 60 FPS then its not too bad. I have a higher refresh rate panel with G-Sync and a 4k TV 60hz panel in other room. Recently switch between the two playing assassins creed Odyssy and have no problem playing at 60hz provided its locked at 60hz, it looks stunning at 4K even at 60hz. Where things are not as great is when you can't hold that 60 FPS IMO. Also most those higher refresh rate panels people on here mention also have adaptive sync which in combination with the higher refresh rate does make things silky smooth even if you cannot hold the very high refresh rate and have a variable framerate. Just my 2 cents.

Soldato
Most competitive games can play at several hundred fps on a 60hz monitor without vsync and not screen tear. 144hz is great and all but it's mostly for single player.

Associate
I'd say 4K gaming isn't worth it yet! not for what it costs anyway & I advise anyone who does gets a screen that is at least 30" + I tried 4k Gaming last year on ASUS monitor and I hated it! its amazing for Movies but there is nothing enjoyable about seeing games in super sharp resolution it just looks odd on the eyes , I'm also a photographer and again for viewing photos it was am odd viewing experience and I generally hated it , I guess I am just so use to 1440 Res and that to me is perfect for 27" Gaming monitor that most pc players use at a desk anyway.

If you plan to play role playing games or FORZA 4 then I'm sure 4k 144 would look sweet but for FPS shooters id stick to 1440p res max for the best gaming experience.

Soldato
HDR?

Terrible for games though, try a driving game or fps back to back.

If you prefer 4k 60hz over 1440p 144hz you are not a gamer :)

I don't use HDR it doesn't work very well.

And it's not terrible for games, and that has no bearing on who is a "gamer" or not. It's more an obsession, one day down the line there will be 300Hz screens and people will be like "Oh I can't stand 144Hz it's so choppy"

Last edited:
Associate
I can agree on how much of a change it makes to game play. I went from a 1440p 60hz IPS panel. To a 1080p 144hz G-sync VA panel. And the smoothness is amazing.

Yes, I do miss the higher resolution at times. But all my games are just so smooth and fluid now. :) Which more than makes up for that change.

Associate
Got no issues with my TV.

Its because you used to it, what i'm saying is if you had pc monitor next to it, played a responsive racing or fps game for 20mins then stick the lead into your TV you will be like urgh what is this! TV's fine for interactive animation entertainment but for games that have direct feedback you will notice big difference when played back to back. Depends what you into.

Soldato
Its because you used to it, what i'm saying is if you had pc monitor next to it, played a responsive racing or fps game for 20mins then stick the lead into your TV you will be like urgh what is this! TV's fine for interactive animation entertainment but for games that have direct feedback you will notice big difference when played back to back. Depends what you into.

My laptop is 120Hz.

Soldato
4K TV looks stunning compared to a monitor.
I agree, TV technology and quality control is much better these days. Horizon: Zero Dawn looks absolutely amazing in HDR on the OLED, even though that's not even native 4k. The picture quality is leagues ahead of most monitors.

But if I'm playing Battlefield 1 I would much rather play it on my 3440x1440 120Hz panel.

My laptop is 120Hz.
Some people don't notice it but even using the desktop on my main PC it is extremely noticeable.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
If you don't play FPS' that much is it that much of an upgrade? Worth if for third person adventure type games and older stuff?

I tested 144hz 1440p and 4K 60hz and as someone who does not play FPS I did not see the big deal. It was a little better when I tested CS GO, but not like what people make it sound like and I don't play that or FPS games much anymore anyway. But we are all different. Maybe I don't perceive it as much or just bothered by the improvement.

It was funny seeing a test done recently on youtube where a guy who loves his 240hz panel and plays competively on multiple occasions thought 60hz was 240hz. lol.

I can't notice the difference, my TV is 60Hz, monitor 75Hz, and laptop screen is 120Hz, I honestly don't know what difference I'm trying to look for?

Yeah. Did the same, saw small difference, was left wondering why people making such a huge deal about it :p

Improvement? Sure. Huge deal to me? Not really.

Soldato
ok but my comparison is valid for 4k tv 60hz v any reasonable monitor at 60hz also. The difference is light and day even at same Hz, once you start comparing tv's to higher refresh monitors the difference is even bigger.

Disagree with most your comments to be honest on this, think its more an opinion or personal preference. Am running PG348Q on main build, one of the best gaming monitors around, yet I have no issue's playing on a 60 hz 4k HDR TV either. Infact I prefer the latter for some games as HDR in some titles looks absolutely amazing on a massive screen. Now sure there are some games, FPS I would rather be on the Monitor, but depending what game you play, some TV's can look the part.

Back
Top Bottom