14700kf Build

Soldato
OP
Thanks again all. Caught the lurghy at the weekend it seems so went by a local computer store and picked up the O11 vision and 14700k to cheer myself up a bit. It's a start and it's actually a relief knowing I'm on my way to getting it started.

They had the NV5 and NV7 in stock and I was immediately satisfied with my case choice. They both look amazing on the shelf (even on white) but I got a shock at just how big even the NV5 was. Definitely happy with my vision choice, even if I'm quite limited with fans/AIO orientation.

Thank you for that's galahad performance heads up. Looks like a good dodge!

What other AIO would you recommend? Id like RGB or even LCD on the pump but of possible but not fussed about the fans as I'd like them to match the TL range I'm getting for the the rest of the rig.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You want RGB .

Or temp on screen.

Soldato
OP
So, made my mind up, finally. At least on some parts anyway.

MSI Z790 Carbon WiFi Motherboard
32GB (2X16GB) DDR5 6000MHZ CL30 XPG LANCER BLADE RGB RAM

The only concern I have with that motherboard is that being PCIE 5 compatible, it steals lanes from the GPU if I want to run a PCIE 5 SSD. Honestly not convinced this is a crazy issue, unless RTX 5080 comes out with some super new tech that will suddenly love working with PCIE 5 SSDs.

I'll be running my current Samsung 990Pro 2TB and am thinking of getting another. If I put the gen 4 SSD in the gen 5 slot, will it still steall CPU graphics lanes when running at gen 4 speed?

Or should I just whack them both in the chipset M.2 slots and stop stressing over 1% performance? ha

Man of Honour
Or should I just whack them both in the chipset M.2 slots and stop stressing over 1% performance? ha

The board has the M2_1 gen 4 slot direct to the CPU, not sharing bandwidth with the PCI-e x16 slot as well as the chipset slots, so I'd stick one in there and one on the chipset slot, no performance loss on the drives, no performance loss on the GPU and leaves the gen 5 slot open should you want in the future - though as it shares bandwidth with the PCI-e x16 slot I'd avoid it personally.

Bit of a sucky situation with PCI-e 5.0 on Intel at the moment :( but not really worth worrying about IMO until probably another 1-2 generations down the line anyhow.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The board has the M2_1 gen 4 slot direct to the CPU, not sharing bandwidth with the PCI-e x16 slot as well as the chipset slots, so I'd stick one in there and one on the chipset slot, no performance loss on the drives, no performance loss on the GPU and leaves the gen 5 slot open should you want in the future - though as it shares bandwidth with the PCI-e x16 slot I'd avoid it personally.

Bit of a sucky situation with PCI-e 5.0 on Intel at the moment :( but not really worth worrying about IMO until probably another 1-2 generations down the line anyhow.
Yeah that's what I was thinking too, plus I'd already said PCI-e % is not a requirement. I just get bogged down on the small, confusing details sometimes.

I really wish there were nice AIOs that came without fans too. I like that NZXT one linked earlier. I'm going to check out an unboxing video to see if the fans can be removed as I'll not need them

Man of Honour
If I put the gen 4 SSD in the gen 5 slot, will it still steal CPU graphics lanes when running at gen 4 speed?
If you put it in the gen 5 slot, yes, but MSI provided a slot with the CPU M.2 lanes wired up (PCI-E 4.0) so you can avoid this problem.

Soldato
OP
Thanks, just checked and that board has even more slots than I remembered.

Anyways, Crucial T500 2TB, MSI Carbon WiFi Z790, and Corsair Shift RM1000x ATX3 ordered.

Need to go get RAM tomorrow, and still have AIO and fans to sort. These bloomin' Lian Li fans, man. These are going to be what holds this build up. Tempted to just a bunch of cheap fans until they arrive in stock...

Man of Honour
Thanks, just checked and that board has even more slots than I remembered.

Anyways, Crucial T500 2TB, MSI Carbon WiFi Z790, and Corsair Shift RM1000x ATX3 ordered.

Need to go get RAM tomorrow, and still have AIO and fans to sort. These bloomin' Lian Li fans, man. These are going to be what holds this build up. Tempted to just a bunch of cheap fans until they arrive in stock...
Theses can be linked together and great value/performance

Soldato
OP
Theses can be linked together and great value/performance

Thanks dude. It might be prudent for me to get some,as it's going to be at least three weeks beofr ocuk gets the lian li stuff in. Can always redo the fans next month once paid again.

So now it's just AIO left. This has been the toughest build ever ha

Man of Honour
Thanks dude. It might be prudent for me to get some,as it's going to be at least three weeks beofr ocuk gets the lian li stuff in. Can always redo the fans next month once paid again.

So now it's just AIO left. This has been the toughest build ever ha
I looked at the The kraken fans and they can be changed there 4 pin pwm, but check to concur.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I looked at the The kraken fans and they can be changed there 4 pin pwm, but check to concur.
Yeah, it's that if I take out the PWM fans from the NZXT hub (built into the CPU block?) will CAM complain? Eventually I'll be putting Lian Li Fans in, so at worst I'll be selling the AIO fans and replacing them as long as it won't upset the AIO OEM hub/software.

Man of Honour
Yeah, it's that if I take out the PWM fans from the NZXT hub (built into the CPU block?) will CAM complain? Eventually I'll be putting Lian Li Fans in, so at worst I'll be selling the AIO fans and replacing them as long as it won't upset the AIO OEM hub/software.
Not sure but You can put the lian li fans on a motherboard header and link them to CPU temps, sure it's not ideal but it should work.

Put a thread in the watercooling section or overclocking and cooling.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I mean I could just do push pull? Get fans with the AIO slap em on the outside and make an AIO sandwich? Ha. Might introduce some weird noise when the two controllers are ramp up fans differently though.

Thanks will do.

Man of Honour
I mean I could just do push pull? Get fans with the AIO slap em on the outside and make an AIO sandwich? Ha. Might introduce some weird noise when the two controllers are ramp up fans differently though.

Thanks will do.
Push pull is usually a waste of time giving maybe a few degrees cooler at best and you shouldn't mix fans .

If you buy them arctics you can have a play and see if the cam software picks them up, there good enough to put on an aio.

Soldato
OP
Went back to the local shop and picked up the AData XPG Lancer CL30 6000 32GB kit. Also picked up the LT720 cooler and a bunch of cheap clearance corsair fans, just to get the rig up and running.

So, once my mobo, PSU, and SSD arrive tomorrow the build is ready to commence.

So, thanks all for helping and being patient with me.

Soldato
OP
All built. Had a problem with the LT720 cooler where the pump sounded like it was going to explode, so took that back and got an arctic freezer 360, non RGB (forgot to ask for RGB and didn't notice until I powered it up oops). Ball ache to install, well just fiddly, but temps are good.

1Gbps FTTP has been in a fortnight too, so installing Cyberpunk took ~15 mins. My system was very due a fresh install anyway, but yeah, overall a lot smoother with the CPU sitting in the 20% usage and GPU pinned at 98-100%.

Carbon WiFi performs exactly like KitTechGuru. Out of the box, mine was thermal throttling in Cinebench, so dropped the voltage 1.3 and adjusted LLC and now I'm scooring a mouse's whisker short of 35k.

Just need to get my tarty farty Lian Li fans once I can finally find stock

Man of Honour
Did you check the memory is running at correct speed and timmings?

Changing fans on the arctic isa bit more fiddly as it shares the cable with the pump, video below should help.

Soldato
OP
Did you check the memory is running at correct speed and timmings?

Changing fans on the arctic isa bit more fiddly as it shares the cable with the pump, video below should help.

Yeah mine are currently all daisy chained like that, but I'll just be bypassing it and using the Lian Li hub when I get my fans. I don't have any PWM splitter cables or a spare sys_fan header other wise I would have the pump running separately from the fans. I'll be doing it that way once Lian Li stuff

Back
Top Bottom