• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14th Gen "Raptor Lake Refresh"

Associate
I find it interesting to compare the vids of your 108 SP @Jay-G25 to my 107 SP 14900KF

A few of my vids are lower. Do the sp’s work like 13th gen where a K SP was equivalent to a higher SP KS? E.g 13900k 104 SP was like a 112 SP KS.

I had been tempted to get a KS but it seems like I’ve got a good sample!

My 13900KS wasn’t great…

you can't directly compare SP between the different SKU ie a SP100 K & KS will be different same for 13th or 14th gen etc but the vid tables do give us a sort of guide to compare and yep your requirement for 5.6 is a touch lower than mine and looks like a very good sample you have for a KF ....would be hard to beat that with a KS so keep what you got imo :D would be useful if the whole vid range was supplied in bios but it is what it is :cool:

Associate

This is a insta buy as I was really impressed with the TG AM5 DD block
I'm sold by that deliding tool , makes it looks so easy where as with the EK one was a pita :o the block does look good just his delta are a bit over the place but this could be due to a bad mount . I may have a look at the RGB version when it gets released but sticking with the Iceman for now :cool:

Associate
I know this is probably a question that has been asked before.

Just starting to look into tuning and overclocking my 14900KF a bit more.

I have it currently at 'stock settings' but with an XMP of 7200Mhz that has been stable for some time, with an adaptive undervolt of -0.07000v.

Looking into the AI overclocking menu (in the bios) it suggests an increase to x3 cores at 6Ghz, x5cores at 5.8Ghz and all core of standard 5.7Ghz with an adaptive voltage of 1.424v.

I currently reach around 1.350v maximum with my current settings and I am wondering if I should proceed to make any alterations based on this info or try some manual adjustments.

I am not looking to do anything seriously complex, just thinking of perhaps resetting to defaults, setting the clock speeds manually, as per the AI prediction, and going from there. Using Auto voltages at first and undervolting again if possible as I imagine my undervolt won't be stable with a clock speed bump?

Temps are pretty decent so far (custom loop) so I thought I would see what the easiest next steps may be and get a little advice.

Also, has anyone ever used the AI overclock on z790 that applies the above automatically or used this option: "sync all cores (+1 to 2)" Never seen that option previously.

Any views welcome thanks!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Interestingly on my 14700K AI Assist recommends setting an all core boost to 5.7GHz, not sure if better cooling would alter its recommendations. It also appears to be picking up on something I found that there isn't much room for lowering the voltage but there is a fair bit of frequency headroom at stock voltage.

Personally I'd go for manual adjustments using AI Assist as a source of input - I can tweak my 14700K to run up to 4 cores at 6GHz without a problem which AI Assist doesn't pick up on and/or suggests against but it seems to be fine even with only using air cooling.

Associate
Interestingly on my 14700K AI Assist recommends setting an all core boost to 5.7GHz, not sure if better cooling would alter its recommendations. It also appears to be picking up on something I found that there isn't much room for lowering the voltage but there is a fair bit of frequency headroom at stock voltage.

Personally I'd go for manual adjustments using AI Assist as a source of input - I can tweak my 14700K to run up to 4 cores at 6GHz without a problem which AI Assist doesn't pick up on and/or suggests against but it seems to be fine even with only using air cooling.
Is that 5.7Ghz +2 over stock? Not quite as familiar with that processor.

Yes, I imagine that is the case that the AI is going for stability rather than being conservative with voltage, hence my plan to use manual adjustments.

Thanks, that's a good comparison.

I take it you use auto voltages when you change the per core clocks? do you then dial in an undervolt or leave it auto or have a manual voltage etc.?

Man of Honour
Is that 5.7Ghz +2 over stock? Not quite as familiar with that processor.

Yes, I imagine that is the case that the AI is going for stability rather than being conservative with voltage, hence my plan to use manual adjustments.

Thanks, that's a good comparison.

I take it you use auto voltages when you change the per core clocks? do you then dial in an undervolt or leave it auto or have a manual voltage etc.?

Stock is 2x 5.6GHz, 6x 5.5Ghz - AI Assist is suggesting 8x 5.7GHz.

TBH not entirely sure what settings I changed without rebooting to check - I've not done any real overclocking with this CPU - there is an "Instant 6GHz" setting in the BIOS for 2x 6GHz and I tweaked off it slightly to get 4x 6GHz which holds up in most games and seems stable from testing - which is a nice little performance boost.

Associate
Thought I would share a little overclocking test I did recently to try and replicate 8packs results in the bundle they sell on OCUK:

ezNi3lM.png

HWInfo64 after a gaming load and the CPU doesn't reach the 90C limit I set in the BIOS

kEdNva5.png

Thermal results after a Cinebench R23 run.

06vFRM2.png

Cinebench R23 MC run (Low scores due to HT and half the E cores disabled)

I couldn't quite get 14900KS settings like 8pack achieved without going over 1.4V (I am playing it as safe as possible. Who knows what 8pack used though.)

Using auto voltages currently with LLC level 6 for stability.

I am not using TVB to overclock and I am just changing the individual core ratios.

I wasn't able to achieve such a result with HT enabled, but may spend more time tweaking settings such as that.

Overall non-synthetic temperatures are actually better than stock and this is just being used as a gaming PC.

58x all core, 62 x2 Cores. 1.4V adaptive vcore. No hyperthreading, 8 E cores enabled.

Que the haters saying you castrated your chip.... lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Thought I would share a little overclocking test I did recently to try and replicate 8packs results in the bundle they sell on OCUK:

ezNi3lM.png

HWInfo64 after a gaming load and the CPU doesn't reach the 90C limit I set in the BIOS

kEdNva5.png

Thermal results after a Cinebench R23 run.

06vFRM2.png

Cinebench R23 MC run (Low scores due to HT and half the E cores disabled)

I couldn't quite get 14900KS settings like 8pack achieved without going over 1.4V (I am playing it as safe as possible. Who knows what 8pack used though.)

Using auto voltages currently with LLC level 6 for stability.

I am not using TVB to overclock and I am just changing the individual core ratios.

I wasn't able to achieve such a result with HT enabled, but may spend more time tweaking settings such as that.

Overall non-synthetic temperatures are actually better than stock and this is just being used as a gaming PC.

58x all core, 62 x2 Cores. 1.4V adaptive vcore. No hyperthreading, 8 E cores enabled.

Que the haters saying you castrated your chip.... lol
What board do you have? I’m sure you can get better results with ai oc.

Not sure whats special about that bundle, TVB +2 is stock on asus boards and e-cores are 4.5ghz at stock. 5.9 all core is also stock on the p-cores with the KS.

Associate
What board do you have? I’m sure you can get better results with ai oc.

Not sure whats special about that bundle, TVB +2 is stock on asus boards and e-cores are 4.5ghz at stock. 5.9 all core is also stock on the p-cores with the KS.
The Apex Encore. AI OC predicted 1.425v originally for x58 all core. It also predicts 1.477v x59 all core.

Have not tried TVB yet and it doesn’t seem to be enabled stock for my board. I didn’t touch it yet as I read that some people had issues with it. Have you got any further info that might help use it?

Presume I can’t add to my current settings as it would push it too high.

Thanks, Dan.

Soldato
The Apex Encore. AI OC predicted 1.425v originally for x58 all core. It also predicts 1.477v x59 all core.

Have not tried TVB yet and it doesn’t seem to be enabled stock for my board. I didn’t touch it yet as I read that some people had issues with it. Have you got any further info that might help use it?

Presume I can’t add to my current settings as it would push it too high.

Thanks, Dan.
IMG-4637.jpg

That’s how auto looks on my white apex. Not sure if/why it’s different on the encore.

Intel XTU on desktop to change/ disable the temperature thresholds.

What exactly are you trying to achieve with the OC ? Disabling cores/ HT seems like a waste IMO. 14700K or 7800X3D would make more sense in those instances.

Last edited:
Associate
IMG-4637.jpg

That’s how auto looks on my white apex. Not sure if/why it’s different on the encore.

What exactly are you trying to achieve with the OC ? Disabling cores/ HT seems like a waste IMO. 14700K or 7800X3D would make more sense in those instances.
Will have another look in the BIOS when I get a chance.

Pretty certain that mine has everything on Auto as your picture shows, but mine shows whatever current clocks are on the left but nothing in the Temp or Bin columns.

Just trying for a good overclock really with minimum effort and voltage.

I was disabling HT and E cores as a test to see if it requires lower voltage, which it seems to. Can always change it back.

I have a 14900KF btw and it has an SP score of 94. So not a great bin!

Those are some high clock speeds you have in TVB! Is that showing before or after TVB? I am guessing after.

From researching, I presumed you had to use the 'Overclocking TVB' tab and select +1 or +2 or custom settings from there? You are saying it does all this for you with no other input? As that sounds amazing! Unless it gives stupid voltage.

Perhaps I need to select another option in the BIOS to properly enable TVB?

Seems like this guy had success with TVB but had to enable it as above.

I read that it isn't meant to affect your voltage, but then someone said it did. So I didn't touch it for that reason!

Last edited:
Associate
IMG-4637.jpg

Just had another look at this screenshot! 1.483V using AI OC I imagine? Or is it stock?

Results look probably amazing, but that's a lot of voltage! Even if it is adaptive voltage, I am trying to get max core clocks and gaming performance with the least amount of voltage.

Edit: @momo56 I should thank you for pushing me towards the TVB route.

I actually decided to scrap the disabling cores and hyperthreading technique. I am still apprehensive about using AI OC though, as I have seen a few videos where the suggested Vcore is much higher than that advertised in the BIOS.

I just set a really conservative overclock of x58 all core and standard x60 on two cores at 1.420V.

Then I enabled TVB + 2 and after a bit of tweaking, ended up being stable at the above voltage at LLC level 3. x59 all core seems just out of reach.

However, TVB massively helps and I get x60 all cores fairly frequently in games now and x62 max.

Thanks for the input and it helped in my testing!

I think I will leave it there for now. I don't have the best binned CPU but this seems like a good result!

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone had a decent 14900KS Global SP purchased from the UK. Just ordered one, but seems theyre all bad batches in the UK.
I heard that. Seems like it's hit or miss in the UK (mainly miss.)

Some taking the delivery hit and ordering from the US.

Be typical if you got a bad bin doing that though! :cry:

I wish the Silicon Lottery site was still running. That was amazing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom