£1500 budget *back after a long break!!*

Soldato
axe said:
No point waiting stick with 939 :D

Agreed. People here seem to think 939 is a thing of the past and is not worth the silicon its manufactured on. The system you propose will last you years without a single update. Even with the release of Conroe it will be a beast of a rig.

Waiting for new technology sucks. Go for what is tried and tested and you can't easily go wrong. The next time you come to build a new rig a few years down the line, you can laugh at people with their Conroe CPUs when you have the new AMD M3GAL337HA><0R chip :D

SiriusB

Associate
OP
well said axe and sirius, thanks ever so much to everyone who had put in their input,

im gonna go with the 5th revision of my rig,

*the one with the crossfire motherboad*

the quick question is, will the dfi crossfire clock the opteron just as well as the dfi nforce 4 expert mobo?

Soldato
Aikon359 said:
well said axe and sirius, thanks ever so much to everyone who had put in their input,

the quick question is, will the dfi crossfire clock the opteron just as well as the dfi nforce 4 expert mobo?

DFI do boards for overclockers and are of a high standard, so I would expect a very similar Oc potential. However, I have no hard evidence either way. I would suggest a trip to www.dfi-street.com and ask that lot :)

SiriusB

Soldato
Eliot said:
negative points aside, the dude speaks sense at the end of the day when you pay 1500 your paying for the premium, top quality kit so u need to it be upgrade-a-ble futureproof and up to date, and it is neither of those things, how ever after waiting for decent am2 stock and user opinions you may find yourself closer to conroe.

I'm in the same boat as you, with £1500 budget and all.
I'm actually gonna wait till Conroe come out for 3 reason:
1) I'll get to see some "real person's" review - everyone on the bandwagon's gonna buy one and mess with it.
2) I'll see if Nividia will bring out nForce5 for Conroe - and hopefully Asus or DFI brings out something decent for OC
3) If I can't see the real gaming value of Conroe - I can always settle for AM2 for future proof or buy the reduce priced 939 (hopefully it'll happen) and add in a wicked Water Cooling System, for willy waving.

Soldato
Aikon359 said:
well said, but in the world of computing, something new is always comming out, when is it NOT a good time to upgrade. id be waiting for ever if i kept doing this, i just want to buy a decent rig thats sturdy and available now, i cant keep waiting really, when conroe comes out itl be new and probably a bit buggy, so i wait for it to become more established, and by the time that happens a new amd chip will be out, BUT will be new and buggy, so i wait for it to become establised.....you see the pattern here?,

at least i know 939 is solid and an opteron performs well, its not like im gonna be doing mega high defenition gaming, so tbh i think sticking with 939 isnt too bad?
i would have agreed with you 2 months ago but now theres no excuse not to wait, have you actually seen how good conroe is?!! BELIEVE ME its silly when in a month and a bit a pc for like 100 pound less will completly walk all over and thrash any pc out today, and i mean carry it around in its mouth and dumbing it on the floor. please wai, it will be worth it. DX 10 isnt worth waiting for conroe is 100%

Associate
Aikon359 said:

Nice one mate! :) Have fun with that delicious rig, bet it'll serve you very well indeed. :D

Associate
Eliot said:
i would have agreed with you 2 months ago but now theres no excuse not to wait, have you actually seen how good conroe is?!! BELIEVE ME its silly when in a month and a bit a pc for like 100 pound less will completly walk all over and thrash any pc out today, and i mean carry it around in its mouth and dumbing it on the floor. please wai, it will be worth it. DX 10 isnt worth waiting for conroe is 100%

Yeah but, considering he's spending a lot on a socket 939 system like his, its going to last him many years. Right now, with that rig he can easily run any game on maximum! And if/when he does go Crossfire, he'll be able to run more advanced games too that are designed for Conroe or w/e. He'll only need to consider Conroe when his current system-to-be can not handle games, games that will be coming out and fully utilising the power of Conroe. That is quite a bit away i'd guess since games are not made over a few months, more like a few years. Socket 939 is not dead! :D

Back
Top Bottom