15k family (a bit of poke) car

Associate
Hi all,

So it's time to move on from my MK6 GTI and I have a budget of 15k.

My commute to work is 10miles and we will use the car for family trips eg belgium centre parks in a couple of weeks.

I've narrowed it down to a few:

Skoda kodiaq - preferably the 2.0tsi (7seats are handy for extended family trips)
Skoda superb - 1.5/2.0 tsi
G31 520d - only a few around this price but gets me into a G series.
E-class 220d estate amg line premium
440i GC - wildcard as I found one... but the boot space is limited but the fun factor surely cancels that?

Any others to consider?

Sorry, ignore what I meant by fun and changed it to a bit of poke!

Long story short my gti is stage 2 on 290bhp but it is currently in the garage with a possible head gasket. So time to get rid as I was going to change anyway.

I want something comfortable with more boot space than the golf.

But I'll have a look at the others mentioned for sure.

This is certainly one of the strangest shortlists I've ever seen on here.

Who honestly considers a 1.5 litre 140bhp Skoda Octavia against a 300bhp 3 litre BMW?

I think you probably need to think about what it is you actually want first.

Even comparing the 520d against the 440i - one is an excellent car with a fantastic interior but a dull yet efficient engine, and the other is a dated car with a rubbish interior that feels like it was taken from a 1 Series but with a fantastic engine. You either want one or the other, rather than consider both. Because if you were considering both you'd be looking at either a better engine in the 5 Series or a worse engine in the 4 Series.
The 440i was a wildcard as there's only one available.

There's a few 520i/520d but not many 530d.

As with the superb/kodiaq I will be targeting the 2.0tsi of course.

Comfort and more boot space is what I want.

I don't think the 440i is a particularly good choice at this budget, that said you could say the same about most of these options. These are all older almost 100k mile cars, do you really want the maintenance costs associated with that on what seems to be an attempt to buy a reliable and efficient to run family car?
The way I view it, unless I go for a bog standard octavia/golf estate - all the cars I am looking at will throw up big bills anyway.

Reliability is always a toss of the coin in my experience. I just put a safety fund away each month.

Is the 520i/d really that bad compared to the 530d?

Skoda superb is winning but I'll have a look at the others suggested.

The 520i is ~180hp, the 520d 190hp, and the 5 series is a bigger, heavier body than your Golf - hardly what you want if your main requirement is a "bit of poke".

The 530d is a 6 cylinder diesel, rather than a 4 cylinder - for the kind of smooth and effortless power you'd expect in a car of this size - it has 50% more torque than the 520d.
Fair enough spec wise - but I've also heard it's 'just enough' power but also gets me into a newer generation.

I would definitely need to test drive for myself.

It makes it very different to drive - it's smoother, more refined and just has that far more effortless feeling that you want in a car like this. I don't think small 4 cylinder engines, either diesel or petrol, have ever really suited cars the size of an E Class or a 5 Series.

Your budget would get you a very good version of the previous 530d, which might be a better choice than an early 520d from the generation after. They are older cars now but still nicer than that 440i you mentioned.
An f11 530d is an option if that gets me a nicer spec.

I got a feeling you hate the 4series!

Had a similar budget and requirements for a family car (albeit wasn't too fussed about the poke too much) and ended up getting 2018 Seat Leon Estate 1.8 tsi manual for 11k. Have a short commute also so diesel wasn't appropriate and didn't fancy electric at this budget, not German premium/costs. Not many about but has 180 bhp, quite responsive and nippy, rides okay and plenty of space. Heated seats, android auto/apple carplay. The 1.8 to me felt nicer than the VAG 1.5 tsi.
This is good to know thank you.

Price is decent too.

Shame you can't get into something like a T8 V60 or V90. Or a T6 would do the job without the risk of the battery going pop.

Edit: how about this?

That is better value for money than the golf r!

OP seems as though you like Golfs? The R in estate version would give you lots of carrying capacity and still be fun, you'd just about get a nice example for 15K.
I did want a golf r when buying my gti.

Yes the estate version is on my list. But when you compare it to the likes of a superb/5series/e-class and dare I say 4series for comfort it's probably towards the bottom.

The plus side is the 300bhp..

I didn't realise how in todays market that 15k limits my choices.

Not sure on the tesla as I'm not keen going electric just yet.

Not many 3l estates in my budget:
530d
535i
G31 Cat N

4 series:
435d
430d

Last edited:
Wife saw a Land Rover Discovery - are these still unreliable?

Yes I've scrap the poke and looking for comfort for 2 kids and an adult in the back.

I'm now pushing the budget to 18k.

yes they're still expensive to run/maintain. If anything, they're worse that they used to be. Seen many with major engine failures etc. - Not sure on which engines in particular but with a car like that i'd have a few grand sitting in a pot for "expenses"
Thought so, thanks for sharing.

18k gives me a couple of other cars but not many!:

G31 530d
Superb 280
Kodiaq (7seat is handy)
440i (still dreaming) - might be tight at the back for an adult to sit between the kids for longer journeys.

Out of that list judging by your requirements I would personally go:-

Skoda Superb (lots of rear legroom)
BMW 530d (if you don't need the rear legroom of the Superb)
Skoda Kodiaq (If you really need 7 seats then this would jump to 1st)
BMW 440 (has more power but a lot less room than all the others)

This all depends on what you can get that's currently available (cost and condition being huge factors)
Thanks for this, really helpful

I mean going by comments alone.. Superb seems to be the car to go for here. If it had to be an estate I'd go for the 530d..

or if you don't like the usual "boring" german stuff.. a Legacy Estate or a Forester STI or maybe even a volvo v90/s90
Yes that's what I'm looking at 5 seats wise.

However, Mrs is wanting 7 seats so kodiaq is in the lead.

Having had a Kodiaq and a Superb, the Superb is miles better IMO. Better built, more comfortable, plenty of leg room front and back and boot space. Get the 280 motor and its quick enough without being overly thirsty.
Do you have enough kids that 7 seats is must ?ask yourself how often they would be of use, and tbh the rear seats are only suitable for small kids and not that comfortable, plus eat into boot space a lot.
I got shot of the Kodicr*p as we called it pretty soon (had quality issues) and got a 280 Superb as a replacement.
We are going to see a kodiaq today with the kids - there's only 3 x 2.0 petrols in my budget in the country! One, Two, Three. I'd go diesel if I have to.

We have two small children (5,3) that would fit in the back. 7 seats has always been a 'wish I had' when inviting friends and family out on trips.

I also found: X5 , Q7, Discovery, Discovery sport, Taracco.

Superb 280 sounds like the one to get for 5 seats for sure.

Last edited:
Test drove the 2.0 190 diesel and it was perfectly fine for wafting around.

Dealer was offering warranty first premium cover for 3 years for £2k. I have heard horror stories but I called the warranty company and it seems legit that everything is covered - anyone used them before?

This covers my dsg, engine etc worries

Back
Top Bottom