£16,271 Below Average wage?

Soldato
So I graduated university in 2013 but was not able to find work anywhere in the North East and I was limited to where I could move.

I now work for the NHS and have recently moved up a band to £16,271

That's about £14,151.48 take home wage.

I've read articles saying that it's pretty much living in poverty!

What is everyone's view.

I'm 24 and I know it is low, but I can't find anything else in the area and the NHS has a nice pension scheme :D

One day I hope to become and IT Technician here but I get turned down due to lack of experience.

im on around 10K PA or thereabouts, your rich compared to me, the youth these days always complaining they cant affor there new JB album :rolleyes:

after some simple math I am on £10,800 per year after Income Tax

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It does look great - there's no denying that. I've had to fib about my current salary when I've spoken to agencies, though, so that THEY don't try to undervalue me. No one is going to give me an effective £6K pay rise. An increase of £2-3K is a lot more palatable.

Yes they are, that's exactly what I've just gotten with no lying about my current salary.
Why would the agency want to place you in a lower paying position when their fee is usually based on the salary you receive.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

You are right, I probably made a mistake. If anything, it revolved around Computer Science, doing programming but I wasn't great at it.

Can we assume you didn't get a great classification then? I'm assuming 2:1 or lower?

Associate
OP
If you want to get into it do some courses to add to your degree, these will hopefully help your cv stand out a bit more:)

But as I have been told before, you could have every certificate under the sun but without experience they will take someone else on.

Last edited:
Soldato
I got a 2:2 and I'm in a above average paying job. Its more about experience these days I think as everyone and their dog has a degree.

I got my first trainee role out of Uni (paying 26k) because of my placement year experience :)
True, I studied music & art but by teaching myself technical skills (statistics, modelling, VBA/SQL etc) I was able to move into a field usually populated by people with PhDs/degrees in mathematics/statistics.

For most jobs you don't use the level you are taught, it's to simply show your aptitude to learn. This can be displayed via other means.

There are of course some exceptions (medicine for one) but for a vast majority of positions studying a degree in a specific field is not at all required to perform beyond the expected level. Ironically my artist background has helped me immensely along with my existing technical experience.

To many interviewers it seems to highlight a good chance of the individual possessing highly creative problem solving & conceptual design skills.

Last edited:
Soldato
So I graduated university in 2013 but was not able to find work anywhere in the North East and I was limited to where I could move.

I now work for the NHS and have recently moved up a band to £16,271

That's about £14,151.48 take home wage.

I've read articles saying that it's pretty much living in poverty!

What is everyone's view.

I'm 24 and I know it is low, but I can't find anything else in the area and the NHS has a nice pension scheme :D

One day I hope to become and IT Technician here but I get turned down due to lack of experience.

I'm not sure what the payscale is like at your place, but my friend works for HR at a hospital and the pay for IT techs there are quite a bit below the average of IT techs across the job range in that area.

All public selector jobs are lower but like you say; it's the pension scheme at the end of the day... if you can last the long; good luck to you. I gave up a IT tech job at a college that had a final pay pension, so I've got the experince to say "Public selector works :rolleyes:"

Associate
True, I studied music & art but by teaching myself technical skills (statistics, modelling, VBA/SQL etc) I was able to move into a field usually populated by people with PhDs/degrees in mathematics/statistics.

For most jobs you don't use the level you are taught, it's to simply show your aptitude to learn. This can be displayed via other means.

There are of course some exceptions (medicine for one) but for a vast majority of positions studying a degree in a specific field is not at all required to perform beyond the expect level.

very true....

ive been a civil engineer / Site Engineer (highways / infrastructure & buildings) for about 14 years and yet I have not done a degree... although a few lower qualifications.
I swear I would be earning less now if I had done a degree, due to lack of experience as I would have jumped on a full time employment to pay off my uni fees. and progression in this field can be slow in full time employment.

Where as contracting tends to put people in sink or swim work environments and can be a great experience booster.

Associate
OP
I'm not sure what the payscale is like at your place, but my friend works for HR at a hospital and the pay for IT techs there are quite a bit below the average of IT techs across the job range in that area.

All public selector jobs are lower but like you say; it's the pension scheme at the end of the day... if you have last the long; good luck to you. I gave up a IT tech job at a college that had a final pay pension, so I've got the experince to say "Public selector works :rolleyes:"

I agree with you there. We do earn a lot less but for now I have a guranteed penision which is appealing as you say. I think it's a lot more unsafe when working for a private company.

My friend lost his pension due to the company going bust and his pension wasn't protected. He was 50 years old and it was a lot of money.

Back
Top Bottom