• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

16GB vram enough for the 6900XT? Discuss..

Soldato
Not correct.

PS5 NVME caching is to do with game loading speed, to load games quickly into RAM. It doens't reduce the amount of VRAM required. Common sense says that if it did, they wouldn't have put 16GB total memory on the PS5, would they?
I believe that if you had two identical games but one tuned for a hdd and one tuned for the PS5 nvme I think the one tuned for the PS5 will have a lower vRAM usage because it doesn't have to cache as much because it can load in non visible parts of the map (for caching purposes) into vRAM quicker when compared to a hdd.

In practise I believe that devs will just fill up this newly freed up space with other data. As an example let's say 20% of the vram was dedicated to what is on screen I think this new generation may increase to 30%.

Associate
Not correct.

PS5 NVME caching is to do with game loading speed, to load games quickly into RAM. It doens't reduce the amount of VRAM required. Common sense says that if it did, they wouldn't have put 16GB total memory on the PS5, would they?

Only a small proportion of the vRAM is being used to hold things like textures, games have already moved towards engines where the assets exceed the vRAM capacity by a factor of 10x, and they dynamically stream in and out what they need. That's why I can fly around FC5s entire map on 6Gb of vRAM usage when the game install itself is 68Gb. And I can do that without hitching or stuttering because the engine is smart enough to pre-load textures before they're needed as you approach objects from a distance, and because I'm running an SSD with 4GB/sec of sequential read.

My gameplay video posted here shows non-hitching gameplay with a vRAM counter shooting wildly between about 4Gb and 6Gb as I fly from area to area and that's the game flushing out old assets it no longer needs and putting in new ones it knows I'll need very soon. DirectStorage for the PC and Xbox will make that process faster and smoother and so will the custom memory controller for the PS5s 5.5GB/sec SSD. With the added bonus of PCI-e 4.0 on the PC we'll soon double to sequential reads up to 8GB/sec.

VRAM for the last decade or so has much more closely increased in proportion to the GPUs ability to use it, and less because of the size of games, once predicting and pre-loading assets become a common technique in game engines the reliance on vRAM to keep doubling kinda just went away.

Associate
Only a small proportion of the vRAM is being used to hold things like textures, games have already moved towards engines where the assets exceed the vRAM capacity by a factor of 10x, and they dynamically stream in and out what they need. That's why I can fly around FC5s entire map on 6Gb of vRAM usage when the game install itself is 68Gb. And I can do that without hitching or stuttering because the engine is smart enough to pre-load textures before they're needed as you approach objects from a distance, and because I'm running an SSD with 4GB/sec of sequential read.

My gameplay video posted here shows non-hitching gameplay with a vRAM counter shooting wildly between about 4Gb and 6Gb as I fly from area to area and that's the game flushing out old assets it no longer needs and putting in new ones it knows I'll need very soon. DirectStorage for the PC and Xbox will make that process faster and smoother and so will the custom memory controller for the PS5s 5.5GB/sec SSD. With the added bonus of PCI-e 4.0 on the PC we'll soon double to sequential reads up to 8GB/sec.

VRAM for the last decade or so has much more closely increased in proportion to the GPUs ability to use it, and less because of the size of games, once predicting and pre-loading assets become a common technique in game engines the reliance on vRAM to keep doubling kinda just went away.

So you think that 10gb is plenty for 1440p going forward? Like 3-4 years o.o

Soldato
Needs to be 24GB at least to make me consider upgrading from my 3090.

Its a slippery slope isnt it.

I wouldnt buy the 3080 cause I wont accept less vram than my 2080ti. I also wouldnt buy the 5900x cause i wouldnt accept less cores than my 3950x.

The price for buying enthusiast products once is that you sometimes are locking yourself into that ecosystem for years to come - its really hard to accept a new cpu that has fewer cores or a gpu with less vram

Man of Honour
Needs to be 24GB at least to make me consider upgrading from my 3090.

I have been using 24gb cards for the last 2 years and would be quite happy to buy one of the new 16gb AMD cards.

My 24gb cards in SLI are also quite a bit faster than a 3090 but have never got anywhere near using 16gb let alone the full 24gb in gaming even @8k.

Back
Top Bottom