Soldato
£150.00 for a whole psu is pretty good value tbh. Recently got some custom extensions made up by davido labido, (24 pin ATX, 8 pin ATX and x2 pcie cables). Dave has already stated here that he doesnt do this to make money, iirc i paid 40 quid ono for the set. Sure i could have went with pre braided cables from bitfenix/akasa etc and theyd have been a bit cheaper. But having owned a few they dont compare in quality. The braid used for the custom cables is outstanding quality wise, very dense and no hint of underlying wires showing. Pics of them look great but dont do them the full justice compared to seeing them in the flesh.

never if you can get someone to do them do it. Extensions are exactly that Extensions which means you have to find twice as much space to hide the rest of the cable in!

I wish bitfenix extensions were like 5 cm just enough to get it through the cable management holes. :)

In tight cases like Lian Li Extensions are a real pain to manage.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
Not wanting to sound like a dick, but why is there a picture of a computer that doesn't belong to me in my project log?

Associate
Tws|T, you had to say that, lol.
Well, you guys can talk to BF and ask for shorter extensions.
I have similar problem with cable management.
S8 have a lot of open space (I opted for the E-ATX motherboard plate which doesn't give much options to hide cables).
I'd like to see PSU manufacturers give options for shorter cables.
But let's not derail thread :)

rjk, Did anything with the build during the weekend?

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
Build is coming together slowly. I'm in nno rush as some key parts aren't available to me yet.

Looking into powder coating this week but probably will wait until payday and take the case to the people who do our 8Pack systems as the finish is spot on.

I have some pictures of the motherboard, will post them up when I'm next at a computer.

Soldato
Tws|T, you had to say that, lol.
Well, you guys can talk to BF and ask for shorter extensions.
I have similar problem with cable management.
S8 have a lot of open space (I opted for the E-ATX motherboard plate which doesn't give much options to hide cables).
I'd like to see PSU manufacturers give options for shorter cables.
But let's not derail thread :)

rjk, Did anything with the build during the weekend?

Silverstone do actually do shorter cables for some psu's but you are correct lets not derail the thread anymore.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
** Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 Motherboard **

Hi Guys

The main hold-up on the build has been the motherboard, up until recently I have been uncertain on what board to use. I wanted the Sniper 5 but was unsure about the colour schemes I wanted to use.

Going with white/black/green was a stupid idea as it has really limited a lot of my hardware choices, but the Sniper 5 is simply one of the best motherboards on the market today so it made things a lot easier.

I have a few more parts to collect/design/build and then I can make a start on modding the case and installing parts.

Massive thanks to Gigabyte UK for their support.

DSC_6571Medium.jpg

DSC_6575Medium.jpg

DSC_6581Medium.jpg

DSC_6586Medium.jpg

DSC_6587Medium.jpg

DSC_6589Medium.jpg

DSC_6590Medium.jpg

DSC_6591Medium.jpg

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
Decided to start stripping down the case to get a feel for the space I have to work with as well as testing for rigidity of the chassis with certain parts removed.

ideally I want to get rid of the drive mounts and a few other parts.

Stripping the case down so it can be sent to powder coaters at some point this month as I am sick of my computer looking like this:

DSC_7589.jpg

So I made a start taking all of the panels and accessories off the case.

DSC_7601.jpg

DSC_7600.jpg

DSC_7598.jpg

DSC_7595.jpg

I then started drilling the riveted sections out.

DSC_7614.jpg

DSC_7613.jpg

DSC_7612.jpg

DSC_7611.jpg

DSC_7610.jpg

DSC_7609.jpg

DSC_7604.jpg

DSC_7603.jpg

removed the SSD mounts

DSC_7615.jpg

front ports were very fiddly

DSC_7616.jpg

this shows the scale of the case compared to a 7990

DSC_7617.jpg

Now the case is just a frame, I will test fit some hardware to ensure it is sturdy enough and if everything is good, remove the rest of the rivets so it is just panels.
the casters on the bottom are coming off too. they will probably be really useful but they dont fit the look I want.

DSC_7618.jpg

This is my pile of bits left over...

DSC_7619.jpg

hopefully some actual progress soon...

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
I have sold my three 7990s.

this system will have 3 R9 290X cards.

currently working on measurements and designs, will update the thread with pictures when I have finished.

Back
Top Bottom