Man of Honour
Would this be far too difficult if I don't pass my DAS until Spring?

I don't want to bite off more than I can chew and have people needing to support me. I also haven't passed my CBT yet, so it would be 1 year experience in total...

Man of Honour

I don't want to bite off more than I can chew and have people needing to support me. I also haven't passed my CBT yet, so it would be 1 year experience in total...

Obviously Kreeeee will be better placed to answer this as he knows the roads but I can't see why it would be a problem, if you're riding every day or even 5 days a week then that year will probably have you doing more milage than a lot of fair weather riders cover in 5.

I've seen people on forums that have been riding for 10 years but have done less miles than me in 2.

Man of Honour
OP

Not at all!

If you're a little unsure I'd say get here before the Monday so you can join us on the earlier fun runs to get used to the mountains, but this is 100% open to all abilities.

Last weekend I did a run to Ticino (Italian border) which was 350kms there on Saturday and 350kms back on Sunday through nothing but mountain passes with a guy who had just got his first big bike. He had literally got it the day before the trip!

For his 18th birthday his mum got in touch with me to arrange the group trip with fellow YouTubers as a surprise present to go with the bike she got him (a CB500). She's an awesome mum!

Anyway, we had a big range of abilities and all it means is that the faster guys high five and circle jerk at the end of each mountain pass while waiting for the others. Everyone has a great time and rides within their abilities. We did have an issue with 10-feet of visibility for 40 minutes up one of the mountain passes so we all rode at 50km/h but it was all good.

The biggest concern is the journey to get to me as I cannot be with you for that, and it will either consist of mountain roads by yourself (not a problem at all for any ability if you take your time) or boring/difficult long stretches of motorway.

Edit: FYI commuters are always far and away the best riders even up the mountains. The track day/weekend warriors are all terrible up there!

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I'd say you'll be fine, so long as you're riding regularly between now and then.

And of course you pass! ;)

For the trip down there it might be possible to ride down with one of the others depending who's going when of course. I'll probably be going down a week or so before or staying on for a week in the alps/dolomites to make it a longer trip.

Man of Honour
OP
I have updated the opening post with more details for day 1. What do people think of that format?

If you like it, I'll do the rest of the days like that.

Soldato
You coming anywhere near me?

I have added the full route for every day except the last one in the opening post. That was a pain!

Boating in to St Malo then onwards with a pal. Neither of us have decided anything route wise yet. He suggested the ring and I said "No, I don't want to die" ....that's about the most of our planning :D

I would like to get down into Switzerland again though.

Soldato
Boating in to St Malo then onwards with a pal. Neither of us have decided anything route wise yet. He suggested the ring and I said "No, I don't want to die" ....that's about the most of our planning :D

I would like to get down into Switzerland again though.

There's a spot on the ring where you can spectate for free, it's worth a visit if you're near there.

Here https://www.google.nl/maps/place/Br%C3%BCnnchen/@50.3697534,7.0042737,18z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xae7a0a4550cdb52a!8m2!3d50.3702729!4d7.0060161?hl=en

Man of Honour
OP
One option is to fly here and rent a bike for a few days if you want to avoid the trip itself.

I worked out that it was better value to do that for shorter trips that taking my own bike on the motorway for a day each way.

Man of Honour
OP
I have set the limit to 8 because I'm not sure I can keep tabs on more of you than that :p

We have plenty of room for more in the house but then we start running into problems out on the mountains as someone always decides they have found a better road to ride down.

Back
Top Bottom