1930s Semi Refurb - Part 4 of ... (Edition: Loft Insulation)

Man of Honour
Pretty litty. I imagine moving about on it pre-boarding isn't that much of a hassle as you can just chuck a temp bit of board across joists and move it about. Thing with ours is its already insulated above the joists so not sure what to do there apart from just man up, joist perch and deal with ankle itching down the line.

Oh lawd at second pic in last post. Looks about an inch or two thick?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Honestly I think the itchiness must be certain kinds of insulation as I haven't really felt it at all. Either that or I have thicker skin :D

As I've got lots more boarding to do but didn't want to leave any major spots uncovered, my plan is to just roll it back/fold it over itself and whack a temporary bit of wood down.

Yeah the insulation I took up consisted of:
* old carpets
* some weird fibre based sound deadening
* rolls of old underlay
* rugs
* a scalf
* some blown on stuff above one of the rooms (but none of the others)
* an inch of that orange stuff suspended above the joists

I can't imagine the orange stuff did the square root of f all tbh.

Bonus pics:

I ran out of 30mm screws here so some are 25mm :(
c8avCfu.jpg

My outrageous loft hatch:
WaLKKNt.jpg

An "in progress video":

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Outrageous loft hatch thickness achievement unlocked.

Also, you smeared the last bite of whatever that was on the plate in whatever sauce was with/inside it didn't you. Mirin.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks very much like our loft space. Annoyingly it's fully boarded by previous owner, but the insulation is squashed underneath i.e they haven't raised the floor. It's a big job to take it all up and redo properly, but might have no option if we want to reduce our energy costs.:(
Mine is half boarded, and the boards are tongue and groove AND nailed down and I suspect they may also be glued. They aren’t going anywhere so I’m just going to insulate over the top. Be better than nothing and a hell of a lot quicker!

Soldato
Mine is half boarded, and the boards are tongue and groove AND nailed down and I suspect they may also be glued. They aren’t going anywhere so I’m just going to insulate over the top. Be better than nothing and a hell of a lot quicker!
I've thrown some over the top of ours in places, but heard it isn't recommended, not sure why.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Honestly I think the itchiness must be certain kinds of insulation as I haven't really felt it at all. Either that or I have thicker skin :D

As I've got lots more boarding to do but didn't want to leave any major spots uncovered, my plan is to just roll it back/fold it over itself and whack a temporary bit of wood down.

Yeah the insulation I took up consisted of:
* old carpets
* some weird fibre based sound deadening
* rolls of old underlay
* rugs
* a scalf
* some blown on stuff above one of the rooms (but none of the others)
* an inch of that orange stuff suspended above the joists

I can't imagine the orange stuff did the square root of f all tbh.

Bonus pics:

I ran out of 30mm screws here so some are 25mm :(
c8avCfu.jpg

My outrageous loft hatch:
WaLKKNt.jpg

An "in progress video":

you ate up there

RIP fella

Back
Top Bottom