1970's sci fi films were the best. Change my mind

Soldato
Looking back at some of the stuff I watched in the 1970's I think it was a great time for scifi. Possibly the best? Have there been better decades?

Alien
Star Wars
Silent Running
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Invasion of the Body Smatchers
Westworld
Rollerball
The Andromeda Strain
Mad Max
THX 1138
Superman (Christopher Reeve)
Soylent Green
Demon Seed
Star Trek the Motion Picture
Logan's Run
The original Planet of the Apes trilogy
The Black Hole
The Omega Man
Solaris
Capricorn One

Ah, all excellent movies.

Silent Running is a masterpiece, and such a tear jerker.

I'd add Dark Star to that list.

Soldato
The seventies had some right stinkers though, yes I am looking at you Doug McClure. Warlords of Atlantis in particular I remember jumping on the Sci Fi bandwagon after Star Wars. What an absolute load of rubbish that was. Even seeing it at the pictures at the time as a kid, I think I was sophisticated enough to see how awful it was, having seen the original Star Wars the year before.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
The 70s are the greatest decade for cinema - full stop.

Nope everything was far to Hairy.

But

Starwars
Superman

The rest is rose tinted glasses, Close Encounters is a classic boring turd until it gets to the Organ bit which granted is iconic but for a entire movie based around a mash potato mountain its stinker.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nope everything was far to Hairy.

But

Starwars
Superman

The rest is rose tinted glasses, Close Encounters is a classic boring turd until it gets to the Organ bit which granted is iconic but for a entire movie based around a mash potato mountain its stinker.

Yes, The Godfather I and II, Alien, The Deer Hunter, Apocalypse Now, Taxi Driver, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Jaws, Life of Brian, Deliverance, were all "Rose tinted glasses".

:cry:

Soldato
Yes, The Godfather I and II, Alien, The Deer Hunter, Apocalypse Now, Taxi Driver, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Jaws, Life of Brian, Deliverance, were all "Rose tinted glasses".

:cry:

The only SciFi bit in Deliverance was how Ronny Cox got his arm like that when they found his corpse. Still can't work it out it looked so real. Deliverance up there in my top 5 films.

Soldato
The only SciFi bit in Deliverance was how Ronny Cox got his arm like that when they found his corpse. Still can't work it out it looked so real. Deliverance up there in my top 5 films.

I read an interview many years back where someone said he could dislocate his arm on request.

Probably not a very useful skill to have.

Man of Honour
Dont know about 1970s sci fi being the best but I have a huge passion for 1940s and 1950s scifi movies. They have laughable special effects of course but some of the plots and stories are amazing, I still think that the Quatermass IP is a criminally underused IP, if any series of movies warrants a proper reboot, its Quatermass. Hugh Bonneville would make for a good modern Quatermass or Toby Jones if you want to take a cheaper option.

Soldato
If you were a kid in the 70's then probably your first introduction to scifi would have been those old black and white Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers half hour serials on a Saturday morning, with Larry 'Buster' Crabbe dating back to the 1930's. Fact, in the 25 century all spaceships will be powered by fireworks.

Soldato
If you were a kid in the 70's then probably your first introduction to scifi would have been those old black and white Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers half hour serials on a Saturday morning, with Larry 'Buster' Crabbe dating back to the 1930's. Fact, in the 25 century all spaceships will be powered by fireworks.
mind you, the aliens were ultra realistic, LOL.
YZ4acX5.gif

Back
Top Bottom