1970's sci fi films were the best. Change my mind

Some good films there in the first list.

I especially enjoyed -
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978 is the best version, IMHO);
Logan's Run; The Black Hole; The Omega Man; THX 1138; Soylent Green;
The Planet of the Apes (especially Beneath the Planet of the Apes).

-----

Somewhat off-topic, but I recommend checking out the 1956 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
It stars Kevin McCarthy - he also has a small role in the 1978 production.

Last edited:
I personally think many if not all films from back in the 70s-90 (maybe a tad into the 00s) are the better ones due to them being the first of their kind and made us all go WOW..... Today, we still get great movies but many are a made with the same story as ones made 20-30 years ago, just with added themes, effects, story alterations. Take the action hero movies of the 80s, Arnold, Stallone etc, from my hazy memory, there wasn't anything like them prior.

Also.
The rest is rose tinted glasses, Close Encounters is a classic boring turd until it gets to the Organ bit which granted is iconic but for a entire movie based around a mash potato mountain its stinker.
What you been smoking pal. Alien, is a 70s movie, rose tinted glasses? Seriously.
Its Sci-fi films is it not.

Life of Brian is a sci-fi

Hollywood is pretty boring now isn't it. Hero gets cocky, loses, remembers his roots then comes back strong and wins. You can blanket that for Sci Fi, Romance, Horror and pretty much any other Genre.

Marvel did pretty well but infinity war is basically Empire strikes back and Endgame return of the Jedi.

Last edited:
Loved most of those movies, Logans run for me is a forgotten classic but I'm not so sold on close encounters, I watched it again recently and it was pretty "meh".

Maybe because it is what I grew up with that I think those are some of the best Sci-fi movies, maybe because those ideas were fresh then and not just regurgitated themes, maybe kids today will be 50 (ish) one day and look back at marvel movies etc. and say just what we are saying.

I think 80s was best personally i think in many cases its an age thing
You tend to IMO pickup the sorts of film you like when your in early teens to early 20s, much like many things when the "best" times were tied to your age and what you were doing, first finding of relative freedom etc, as opposed to them specifically being better

Much like BeeP says above

Looking back at some of the stuff I watched in the 1970's I think it was a great time for scifi. Possibly the best? Have there been better decades?

Alien
Star Wars
Silent Running
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Invasion of the Body Smatchers
Westworld
Rollerball
The Andromeda Strain
Mad Max
THX 1138
Superman (Christopher Reeve)
Soylent Green
Demon Seed
Star Trek the Motion Picture
Logan's Run
The original Planet of the Apes trilogy
The Black Hole
The Omega Man
Solaris
Capricorn One
They don't make good space sci-fi film anymore.

Back
Top Bottom