1TB SSD for storage

Associate
hi I'm wait to replace my 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD, I will be using it to install programs and store my documents, music, videos and pictures, i have windows and games installed on my nvme ssd, so does write/read speed really matter that much if no games are going on it, also is it worth raiding the nvme ssd for better performance its a Samsung 950 500gb EVO NVME

Soldato
No point in raiding as the speed difference will not be that noticeable.

besides if you keep them as separate drives if you ever need to re install the OS you don't loose the games and anything saved on the drive

I have 2 x 250GB SSD's, one for OS and the other for game libraries and with steam i just re create the exe shortcut and everything is back on again without re installing anything. (make sure steam client is installed to the 1TB SSD not the OS SSD)

Soldato
if the SSD is for storage and games I wouldn't bother and save the funds.

if you move around a lot of files or do a lot of video encoding then the extra speeds can help.

Soldato
tbh I'd buy SSD for OS and programs, maybe a couple of regular played games.

Then a regular HD for mass storage for music, photos, vidoes.

I use a 64GB SSD for Windows and programs, that is still plenty I have 30GB free. Then HD's for games, I find the WD Black fine for games.

Soldato
I would just get the 1TB SSD then and save the money. you will not benefit from the extra read and write speeds just benching would show the high speeds

Soldato
I'd go for a 5 year warranty one, such as the 850 EVO. I've seen quite a few SSD's fail at the 2-3 year old mark (not endurance related, but chipset failure etc). Worth the few extra bob IMO.

Associate
OP
I've ordered the samsung 850 pro, I know its overkill for what I need but the warranty got me, also ordered another samsung 950 evo nvme and not going to raid so I'll have 2tb all together

Back
Top Bottom